Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Suspension/ride comfort and some other Q’s

07-02-2019, 12:44 PM   #1
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Cool Suspension/ride comfort and some other Q’s

Hey folks,

I’m new to the forum, looking at ordering a 330e, given BIK benefits.

Would love to get some feedback from people running (or who have tried) the standard M Sport with 18” wheels. What’s the ride/comfort like? Most of the magazine reviews indicate it is very/too firm. Obviously very subjective.

By way of comparison my current Mondeo has 19” wheels (on standard suspension) and I find that fine. I ran a 2015 Merc C300h(ybrid) AMG (on 18” wheels) and that was more than fine. I also once had a 2006 330d M Sport and the ride was b***dy awful. Hence the care...

None of my local dealers have a standard M Sport for me to try. They’re all tricked up with adaptive suspension and 20” wheels!? Crazy fools... ;-)

Worst case I’ll have to go for M Sport Plus to get adaptive but that means losing a bunch of other good options to stick within my allowance.

A few other Q’s. How about the standard M Sport audio vs. HK? I gather the M Sport gets an upgrade over the Sport/SE with extra speakers and an amp. Does the standard one sound alright?

My Mondeo has the 12-speaker Sony audio, it’s ok but not great (6/10), my 300h had the Burmeister which was much better (8/10). Neither as good as the £3k B&W system in the Volvo V90, for some reason... ;-)

Finally, how many USB sockets do you get as standard? I’ve got two in my Mondeo so can leave the iPod permanently connected then just plug my phone in/out as I go. Does the Beemer support hi-def audio files (e.g. FLAC/ALAC at 192Khz/24-bit)?

Any help/thoughts much appreciated!
Rich.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 08:54 AM   #2
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

I had a test drive in a car without adaptive. Definitely firmer than my current adaptive 335d so adaptive would be a must for me.
Can't you deselect M sport suspension?

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 12:12 PM   #3
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. I’ve finally found a dealer with a bog standard 320d M Sport to try this weekend.

You can’t de-select M Sport suspension anymore, why I don’t know. I’m sure I’m not the only one going for M Sport for the looks and not for the “drive”...

Did you find it uncomfortably firm (always jiggly) or just “firm” and generally controlled?

Any view on the audio options?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 11:27 AM   #4
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
I had a test drive in a car without adaptive. Definitely firmer than my current adaptive 335d so adaptive would be a must for me.
Can't you deselect M sport suspension?
If you delete sport Suspension on the MSport configurator the website takes you to the configurator for the Sport not the MSport.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #5
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

My 330i M-Sport has 19” wheels with run flats and my Wife who has back problems has no problems with the cars suspension as long as the car is on Comfort mode or Eco Mode Individual suspension or Sport Individual suspension both set to Comfort.
When on Adaptive the suspension varies she tells me and gives sometimes a harder ride which it would.
One of the many excellent pluses with the G20 is the vast variation possible in varying the cars possibilities!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 04:25 AM   #6
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
Thanks. I've finally found a dealer with a bog standard 320d M Sport to try this weekend.

You can't de-select M Sport suspension anymore, why I don't know. I'm sure I'm not the only one going for M Sport for the looks and not for the "drive"...

Did you find it uncomfortably firm (always jiggly) or just "firm" and generally controlled?

Any view on the audio options?
It was too firm for me. Fine on the motorway but just too stiff on A roads and around time. Subjective of course. You're not the only one not wanting firm suspension.

I have HK in my current car and would specify it again so didn't try the system in the demo car.

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 1
tricky6239.50
      07-05-2019, 06:39 AM   #7
theabbot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

I have M-Sport passive suspension on a 320i bought new 7 days ago, two people have complained that sitting in the front passenger seat makes them feel sick due to the soft ride, The problem is on slow speed roads with a good surface but are uneven/bumpy, it feels like the shock absorbers are not reacting fast enough and it's just using the springs, fast roads like motorways seem to be ok, it's been back twice for checking and each time they have said that there is nothing wrong, the sales manager who had one of the first ones took it out and said that it feels exactly like the one he had, he did 6000 miles in 3 months in his, so knows what it should feel like! I don't remember the test car feeling like this but then I didn't sit in the passenger seat. I really think I've bought the wrong car but it would cost to much to swap it something else. I swapped in a 435 GC that I loved for this, I feel a total idiot at the moment!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 07:52 AM   #8
Timbo8000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e w/M Sport Plus

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Could you take an equivalent car for a test drive at another, or the same, dealer? It might not prove that your car is faulty but at least you’d know for yourself rather taking the word someone with a vested interest in saying everything’s fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #9
ballisma
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabbot View Post
I have M-Sport passive suspension on a 320i bought new 7 days ago, two people have complained that sitting in the front passenger seat makes them feel sick due to the soft ride, The problem is on slow speed roads with a good surface but are uneven/bumpy, it feels like the shock absorbers are not reacting fast enough and it's just using the springs, fast roads like motorways seem to be ok, it's been back twice for checking and each time they have said that there is nothing wrong, the sales manager who had one of the first ones took it out and said that it feels exactly like the one he had, he did 6000 miles in 3 months in his, so knows what it should feel like! I don't remember the test car feeling like this but then I didn't sit in the passenger seat. I really think I've bought the wrong car but it would cost to much to swap it something else. I swapped in a 435 GC that I loved for this, I feel a total idiot at the moment!
Errr hang on " the soft ride makes passengers feel sick?"
Are you sure it's a G20 msport on passive suspension?
Mine is a 320i m sport passive m sport suspension (bought 3 weeks ago) and is rock solid, almost causing my passengers back injuries
There nosy be something wrong here, I would kill for some comfort in mine
Happy to meet up for a suspension comparison, where abouts are you in the country?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I'm wondering if it is a trait of the new lift-related dampers. You are likely on roads which may allow the softer off load damping. I've not tried the G20, so can't comment on the exact feelings. But the description by BMW does allow for something like you may be experiencing.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #11
theabbot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

An update, after asking if I could borrow another 3 series to compare with mine the dealer agreed and suggested a extended loan, so I'm borrowing another brand new 320i on Thursday and taking it back on Monday with no mileage limits so I can make a proper comparison, can't complain at the service I'm getting. So will be very interesting seeing how it goes.

ballisma, i'm near Bournemouth if that's of any help.

HighlandPete, thanks that's interesting i'll have to find out more about the dampers i've not heard of them.

I'll keep you updated.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #12
ballisma
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
An update, after asking if I could borrow another 3 series to compare with mine the dealer agreed and suggested a extended loan, so I'm borrowing another brand new 320i on Thursday and taking it back on Monday with no mileage limits so I can make a proper comparison, can't complain at the service I'm getting. So will be very interesting seeing how it goes.

ballisma, i'm near Bournemouth if that's of any help.

HighlandPete, thanks that's interesting i'll have to find out more about the dampers i've not heard of them.

I'll keep you updated.
Yeah that's a a bit of trek, I'm near Windsor
What 3 series are you borrowing? Msport? Adaptive or passive suspension? Please let us know how you get on
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #13
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

So I drove a 320d M Sport with the standard wheels, tyres and suspension yesterday. It was only 30 minutes but I'd describe the suspension as a bit weird. In summary it was too firm for me too much of the time but there were times where it was quite compliant, even over bumps, as if "something was tinkering with something", maybe this valve thingy. I'm gonna have to go for the adaptive and forgo some of the other toys I was looking forward to (how WIDE is the HUD, I found it a bit distracting as it kept expanding up and shrinking down when on Sat Nav mode!?)

HK audio was good but not awesome. Can't believe there is only 1 connectable USB socket, rest being charge only, even my Mundano has 2 so I can leave my iPod permanently connected and plug my phone in/out as I go. Does the Beemer support CarPlay over Bluetooth?

Also anyone know if it supports HD audio (e.g. 24-bit 192KhZ ALAC or FLAC)?

Final thought is that the build quality was "ok" but not as good as I'd hoped. Some way from a 5-series and really quite plasticky in places. Felt less premium than the 2015 Merc c300h I ran a while back...

Last edited by tricky6; 07-08-2019 at 04:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So I drove a 320d M Sport with the standard wheels, tyres and suspension yesterday. It was only 30 minutes but I'd describe the suspension as a bit weird. In summary it was too firm for me too much of the time but there were times where it was quite compliant, even over bumps, as if "something was tinkering with something", maybe this valve thingy. I'm gonna have to go for the adaptive and forgo some of the other toys I was looking forward to...
Your experience adds another anomaly to the mix. Hope this is not indicating BMW have not got calibrations right for our UK roads and poor surfaces.

Personally I don't think this will be the first or last we read of the new 'lift related' setups.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 02:58 AM   #15
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e (g20)

Quote:
So I drove a 320d M Sport with the standard wheels, tyres and suspension yesterday. It was only 30 minutes but I'd describe the suspension as a bit weird. In summary it was too firm for me too much of the time but there were times where it was quite compliant, even over bumps, as if "something was tinkering with something", maybe this valve thingy. I'm gonna have to go for the adaptive and forgo some of the other toys I was looking forward to (how WIDE is the HUD, I found it a bit distracting as it kept expanding up and shrinking down when on Sat Nav mode!?)

HK audio was good but not awesome. Can't believe there is only 1 connectable USB socket, rest being charge only, even my Mundane has 2 so I can leave my iPod permanently connected and plug my phone in/out as I go. Does the Beemer support CarPlay over Bluetooth?

Also anyone know if it supports HD audio (e.g. 24-bit 192KhZ ALAC or FLAC)?

Final thought is that the build quality was "ok" but not as good as I'd hoped. Some way from a 5-series and really quite plasticky in places. Felt less premium that the 2015 Merc c300h I ran a while back...
that's why I ordered additional storage with 3 USB option
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 04:53 AM   #16
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snusnu View Post
that's why I ordered additional storage with 3 USB option
The other 3 USB's are charge only, you can't get device content from them... :-(
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 05:02 AM   #17
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Your experience adds another anomaly to the mix. Hope this is not indicating BMW have not got calibrations right for our UK roads and poor surfaces.

Personally I don't think this will be the first or last we read of the new 'lift related' setups.
I think I should have used "inconsistent" rather than weird!? :-) I had a 2006 330d M Sport many moons ago and that was properly uncomfortable, all the time. This was much better than that but not quite "right". Then again, I'm now mid-40's and what I looked for in a car 15 years ago isn't quite what I look for now. It's rare I go hacking around A and B roads looking for the "ultimate" handling... Comfort is now king :-) I'd suggest it might be fine for some people but I'd definitely get a long test drive before ordering.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 06:17 AM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I think I should have used "inconsistent" rather than weird!? :-) I had a 2006 330d M Sport many moons ago and that was properly uncomfortable, all the time. This was much better than that but not quite "right". Then again, I'm now mid-40's and what I looked for in a car 15 years ago isn't quite what I look for now. It's rare I go hacking around A and B roads looking for the "ultimate" handling... Comfort is now king :-) I'd suggest it might be fine for some people but I'd definitely get a long test drive before ordering.
Interesting you say "inconsistent". I sense from some of the reviews, even experienced and seasoned road testers have made some comments which suggest they too are not 100% sure of the full range of damping characteristics.

BMW have stated they have taken this design as the preferred option, as they feel the alternative of frequency selective damping (which some competitors use) has limitations. I look at the BMW lift related design and see these also have possibly got limitations, even if damping is biased to better control in the handling of the chassis. BMW's decision for higher spring rates, combined with softer mid range damping, running on some odd surfaces (we have plenty in the UK) could well be a recipe for some inconsistences.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #19
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The other 3 USB's are charge only, you can't get device content from them... :-(
Did you notice that the rear USB sockets (+ the one under the center arm rest) are USB-C not USB-B? Good to see BMW moving with the times but will need to get some new cables for my kid's Kindle Fires... ;-) The "device USB" is still USB-B.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #20
lukas125
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

It's certainly firm, but not harsh. I would say the ride has a refined feel to it even though it won't smooth out the big bumps, if that's possible.
Appreciate 0