BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #1
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

60 days on the lot. Don't buy?

So I saw car I wanted and seems like it's been on the lot for 60 days and I'm sure this long time.

Is something like this to avoid as it seems either dealer has some firm price that's not being met or people saw some issue with it

https://www.bmwseattle.com/certified...d8b72327d2.htm

Price slowly goes down (not drastically ) but does have options I want and is 3500 rebate if financing via bmw at 3.1% which seems bit high

Anyways is there rule of thumb for cars staying x amount of days on the lot?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #2
Adriano917
09 M3 e93 VF650, e30 e85, Remus, Federal’s 595rs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

60 days on the lot doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with it, its a Certified unit so that means everything had to be checked and logged. Price might be a little higher for the Certification but its worth it, and as far as 3.1% interest doesn’t seem high for me but check local credit unions, being a Certified unit BMW Financial might be the best way.
      07-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #3
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
I got 2.99% from my dealer, which isn’t available in many regions, but 3.1% sounds pretty good to me.

When I shopped other loans the best I could find was 3.49% from Bank of America, where I have accounts. This was in early to mid May.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
I got 2.99% from my dealer, which isn't available in many regions, but 3.1% sounds pretty good to me.

When I shopped other loans the best I could find was 3.49% from Bank of America, where I have accounts. This was in early to mid May.
What about 69 days in the lot that's long
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
So I saw car I wanted and seems like it's been on the lot for 60 days and I'm sure this long time.

Is something like this to avoid as it seems either dealer has some firm price that's not being met or people saw some issue with it

Price slowly goes down (not drastically ) but does have options I want and is 3500 rebate if financing via bmw at 3.1% which seems bit high

Unless it has crossed model years, I see no reason with being cautious about buying aged inventory. In actuality, I would probably prefer it, as there is a better chance of a discount, since floorplan is probably starting to impact it after certain time periods.

As of Q1, 2019 (Q2 data not yet available), the national average CPO inventory turnover ratio for all dealerships in the USA was 54 days. So this car you are looking at isn't exactly old - it's only about a week longer than average.

With respect to the rate, national average right now on new cars is 3.5%. Used and CPO was 4.25%.

07-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #6
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano917 View Post
60 days on the lot doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with it, its a Certified unit so that means everything had to be checked and logged. Price might be a little higher for the Certification but its worth it, and as far as 3.1% interest doesn’t seem high for me but check local credit unions, being a Certified unit BMW Financial might be the best way.
The problem is, if the car has everything you want and is basically a new car with just a few thousand miles on it, and you DON’T pull the trigger, you might regret it.

I don’t know how that price compares with a build-to-order, but my guess is that you can get them down at least a few thousand, particularly if you take their financing and the incentive that is included ($2,000).
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #7
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
60 days on the lot doesn't mean there's something wrong with it, its a Certified unit so that means everything had to be checked and logged. Price might be a little higher for the Certification but its worth it, and as far as 3.1% interest doesn't seem high for me but check local credit unions, being a Certified unit BMW Financial might be the best way.
I guess I was questioning it because there was a non certified car I really wanted with more packages and lot less but sold in 3 days after listing and still had remaining warranty left . But cpo has one year extra and unlimited so that's quite peace of mind and priceless I guess
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #8
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Quote:

Unless it has crossed model years, I see no reason with being cautious about buying aged inventory. In actuality, I would probably prefer it, as there is a better chance of a discount, since floorplan is probably starting to impact it after certain time periods.

As of Q1, 2019 (Q2 data not yet available), the national average CPO inventory turnover ratio for all dealerships in the USA was 54 days. So this car you are looking at isn't exactly old - it's only about a week longer than average.

With respect to the rate, national average right now on new cars is 3.5%. Used and CPO was 4.25%.

Whoa that is great info 54 days? Why isn't people buying cpos as fast as it seems way to go . Guess lease and new car is out purchasing cpo

Where did you find the 54 day average seems like 60 day isn't too bad then

As for the 3.1% they are offer king 3500 rebate too as it's a loaner car which counts as new car incentive according to them
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 12:39 PM   #9
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The problem is, if the car has everything you want and is basically a new car with just a few thousand miles on it, and you DON’T pull the trigger, you might regret it.

I don’t know how that price compares with a build-to-order, but my guess is that you can get them down at least a few thousand, particularly if you take their financing and the incentive that is included ($2,000).
There incentive was 3500 for doing their financing
Not sure if it's cause month of July
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #10
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yea pretty simple guy just need powerroof and 10 inch screen
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #11
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Whoa that is great info 54 days? Why isn't people buying cpos as fast as it seems way to go . Guess lease and new car is out purchasing cpo

As for the 3.1% they are offer king 3500 rebate too as it's a loaner car which counts as new car incentive according to them
I spent many years in executive management in the auto industry as well as sitting on the board for TrueCar and Tesla. This information is accessible through various OEM websites that I still have access to.

If it's a loaner car - then that 100% explains why it is still there. Most OEM's give the dealership additional Factory to Dealer incentives to put cars in loaner car status and one of the caveats is that it must stay in loaner status for 'X' days. Usually it is 6 months. So for this to only be 60 days old, that is no issue at all. Also, if it is a true loaner and has yet to be titled, then you lose no warranty on the car. The warranty doesn't start till you buy it.
      07-01-2019, 12:53 PM   #12
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I spent many years in executive management in the auto industry as well as sitting on the board for TrueCar and Tesla. This information is accessible through various OEM websites that I still have access to.

If it's a loaner car - then that 100% explains why it is still there. Most OEM's give the dealership additional Factory to Dealer incentives to put cars in loaner car status and one of the caveats is that it must stay in loaner status for 'X' days. Usually it is 6 months. So for this to only be 60 days old, that is no issue at all. Also, if it is a true loaner and has yet to be titled, then you lose no warranty on the car. The warranty doesn't start till you buy it.
But it's been on cargurus for 60 days so it was accessible for that long (and other car sites)) so what do you think this was on cargurus and other sites for this long. Is that red flag too or part of the average you pulled up

Either way just glad it's not too long. Guess the one that was sold within 3 days was people wanting super deal.

It's nice to see someone who go the inside scoop and experience in this field giving average joes useful info

As for warranty I think it's still same cpo

Other question is the loaner car status (guess fleet ownership) if it's around 7k miles and let say people spend 100 miles a day for one driver, that means like 70 people drove this around and I'm sure some were reckless etc

I'm sure numbers are wrong but I'm certain many used it. I'll check the car out tonight possible and just see scratches dings as it anal about things like this
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #13
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
But it's been on cargurus for 60 days so it was accessible for that long (and other car sites)) so what do you think this was on cargurus and other sites for this long. Is that red flag too or part of the average you pulled up

Either way just glad it's not too long. Guess the one that was sold within 3 days was people wanting super deal.

It's nice to see someone who go the inside scoop and experience in this field giving average joes useful info

Other question is the loaner car status (guess fleet ownership) if it's around 7k miles and let say people spend 100 miles a day for one driver, that means like 70 people drove this around and I'm sure some were reckless etc

I'm sure numbers are wrong but I'm certain many used it. I'll check the car out tonight possible and just see scratches dings as it anal about things like this

The basic answer to your question is 'it varies'. Bottom line is that the car in question should not be looked at in a negative light based solely on days in inventory. There are many reasons for this to occur.

With respect to many people driving it as a loaner - this has contention between various parties. Some folks think it isn't a bit deal while others think it's a deal breaker. It's up to you. Personally - I doubt many, if any, folks who drove the car as a loaner did any hotrodding or other things while in it. Some might have taken less care with respect to keeping it clean and tidy or where they parked, et al. So long as it is in cosmetically good condition, and it is a reasonable price, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the car.
      07-01-2019, 01:08 PM   #14
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The basic answer to your question is 'it varies'. Bottom line is that the car in question should not be looked at in a negative light based solely on days in inventory. There are many reasons for this to occur.

With respect to many people driving it as a loaner - this has contention between various parties. Some folks think it isn't a bit deal while others think it's a deal breaker. It's up to you. Personally - I doubt many, if any, folks who drove the car as a loaner did any hotrodding or other things while in it. Some might have taken less care with respect to keeping it clean and tidy or where they parked, et al. So long as it is in cosmetically good condition, and it is a reasonable price, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the car.
That's great news. I can live will if there is few dents or scratches (minor one). Eventually everything becomes scrap metal one day

As for the 2018 and 2019 model I noticed there isn't much difference. Is it advice that I get 2019 since this will increase the warranty in terms of remaining years but not mileage. Considering I know I won't be driving much per year
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 01:12 PM   #15
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's great news. I can live will if there is few dents or scratches (minor one). Eventually everything becomes scrap metal one day

As for the 2018 and 2019 model I noticed there isn't much difference. Is it advice that I get 2019 since this will increase the warranty in terms of remaining years but not mileage. Considering I know I won't be driving much per year
You mean pricing? If so, then absolutely go with the 2019. Pricing between the two cars used is quite substantial.
      07-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #16
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You mean pricing? If so, then absolutely go with the 2019. Pricing between the two cars used is quite substantial.
Yes for warranty purpose right?

It's listed around 43,888 I believe and since they will take 3500 from July rebate if signing up for 3.1 apr through them will be 40,044 I think that's how it works, any suggestion on what to offer them? (Even percentage off would be good so I don't feel cheated) The dealership is known to have pretty good rating here
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 01:33 PM   #17
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

It's listed around 43,888 I believe and since they will take 3500 from July rebate if signing up for 3.1 apr through them will be 40,044 I think that's how it works, any suggestion on what to offer them? (Even percentage off would be good so I don't feel cheated) The dealership is known to have pretty good rating here
Give me a link to the car and/or the VIN and I can get you a solid offer recommendation.
      07-01-2019, 01:35 PM   #18
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Give me a link to the car and/or the VIN and I can get you a solid offer recommendation.

You don't work for bmw Seattle do you
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #19
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
This car is definitely a loaner. When BMW Seattle has a price that ends in 888, they feel that they have discounted as low as they will go. Seems like a reasonable car at a reasonable price. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      07-01-2019, 02:37 PM   #20
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

First off, I was thinking who is this guy, he seems to know a lot. Then saw your rep and realized ok he does lol. And I appreciate your detail thoroughness dont know how much I been trying to get this type of response

What do you mean by holdback? And how did you find $44,060 invoice for the dealer? And dealer fees, what is the average would you say. Seems I'ts big chunk

The rebate for month of July was 3500 not 3000 if financing via bmw at 3.1% (which I'll do downpayment of 12k). So basically subtract 500 from your suggestion right?

So from $41,390 to 40,890 for lowest offer

and

from $42,560 to *42,060‬

from a $43,888 msrp

Guess this is why BMW total sales got up due to the fact the loaner cars subsidy increased right?

Your like the inside scoop of car dealers and bringing average joes good information. Praise to you!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #21
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

The numbers you provided, Is safe to tell dealer that a bmw guru who has bmw m logo tattoed on his hands provided these numbers and start low and work my way up to your highest asking price?

I'm guessing phone and text is not a good idea but heard modern times many do text nowadays (even car sellers sometimes sell online and deliver lol) crazy times
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #22
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
The numbers you provided, Is safe to tell dealer that a bmw guru who has bmw m logo tattoed on his hands provided these numbers and start low and work my way up to your highest asking price?

I'm guessing phone and text is not a good idea but heard modern times many do text nowadays (even car sellers sometimes sell online and deliver lol) crazy times
Talk directly with London. He is the sales manager. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
nakamuru136.50