F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Macan S - And we thought BMW took the piss!
proTUNING Freaks

06-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
Mr Burt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 340

Macan S - And we thought BMW took the piss!

There's a review of the Porsche Macan S on Autocar and thought that looks ok value so off to the configurator I went to do some window shopping.
48k basic, then fecking hell at least 10-12k plus to get up to basic spec/wheels. No leather or heated seats, that's extra, wheels above 18" that's a grand plus just for 19". Want the 20" that 2.5k.
Don't start on the suspension configurators, it's complex and expensive.
Appreciate the residuals are good but the upfront costs are HIGH!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

P Tax
      06-29-2019, 04:11 PM   #3
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Penis? Prick? Prat? What’s the P stand for goddammit!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 06:01 PM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Penis? Prick? Prat? What’s the P stand for goddammit!
Porsche!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Burt View Post
There's a review of the Porsche Macan S on Autocar and thought that looks ok value so off to the configurator I went to do some window shopping.
48k basic, then fecking hell at least 10-12k plus to get up to basic spec/wheels. No leather or heated seats, that's extra, wheels above 18" that's a grand plus just for 19". Want the 20" that 2.5k.
Don't start on the suspension configurators, it's complex and expensive.
Appreciate the residuals are good but the upfront costs are HIGH!
To be fair my X3 was £60k OTR, so it’s really not that bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 02:35 AM   #6
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Porsche!
I know I prefer the alternatives
Appreciate 1
teaston10998.00
      06-30-2019, 04:19 AM   #7
GBR1
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 45e on order

I am currently looking at one of these as my next car. As Teston said his X3 was 60k, my Macan S spec is currently 59k..

Porsche do this across their entire range and once you get your head around it it does make some sense. Most Porsche buyers all want something quite different and bespoke on the extras, so the easy way to do this is have a base model and then allow the customers to spec the car how they want it.

Alternatively they make the baseline price 60k with a load more kit but remove the bespoke aspect of the car. It’s just a different way of buying a car..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 07:00 AM   #8
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR1 View Post
I am currently looking at one of these as my next car. As Teston said his X3 was 60k, my Macan S spec is currently 59k..

Porsche do this across their entire range and once you get your head around it it does make some sense. Most Porsche buyers all want something quite different and bespoke on the extras, so the easy way to do this is have a base model and then allow the customers to spec the car how they want it.

Alternatively they make the baseline price 60k with a load more kit but remove the bespoke aspect of the car. It's just a different way of buying a car..
It does sound like a good idea that you can save money by leaving options off, but the problem on PCP is that all or most of the cost of those options won't increase the GMFV, so will make the monthlies more expensive.

Doesn't matter so much on a Porsche though as the residuals are so good on them, but the same setup wouldn't make sense on the other German brands.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17541.00
      06-30-2019, 07:06 AM   #9
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

A heavily specced S doesn't make a lot of sense. That's why the GTS Is the sweet spot of the range as you get a lot of the extras bundled albeit at a higher list price but then that holds residual value. No facelift GTS announced yet is the issue if you want one soon or buy a used GTS.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 10:08 AM   #10
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Gone from a 320D to a high specced Facelift Macan S.

First started looking seriously at Macans 14 months ago as the order list closed for the pre-facelift. Could not find a newly new GTS to the spec I wanted and as the prices of 1 to 2-year-old 15k mileage GTS's rose to what a new S was going to cost for the same sort of spec, placed order for New S as soon as announced as power near old GTS and some chassis improvements as well as better infotainment/nav system. Those S/h GTS's are now £15 k less than prices last Autumn and many unsold on Second-hand market after the intro of facelift despite new GTS not being expected until April 2020 deliveries.

I suspect Porsche dealers already have many deposits for next GTS. Supply could be limited by emission tax restraints. Even rumours in USA Macan forums of no GTS facelift. New Macan Turbo was due on configurator a fortnight ago with deliveries in early autumn but not yet appeared. Order book closed for 2019 model year Macan S's but some dealers have unallocated cars and some able to supply from stock with small discount has UK car market turns down.

Macan extra's appear to be better reflected to date in s/h prices if vehicles than GFV's would imply and PCP hence may not be best finance route for a Macan.
So far My Macan S more than met expectations and not regretting move away after 20years and 5 BMWs

Last edited by pmgreenwood; 06-30-2019 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 10:44 AM   #11
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
A heavily specced S doesn't make a lot of sense. That's why the GTS Is the sweet spot of the range as you get a lot of the extras bundled albeit at a higher list price but then that holds residual value. No facelift GTS announced yet is the issue if you want one soon or buy a used GTS.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR1 View Post

Alternatively they make the baseline price 60k with a load more kit but remove the bespoke aspect of the car. It's just a different way of buying a car..
It does sound like a good idea that you can save money by leaving options off, but the problem on PCP is that all or most of the cost of those options won't increase the GMFV, so will make the monthlies more expensive.

Doesn't matter so much on a Porsche though as the residuals are so good on them, but the same setup wouldn't make sense on the other German brands.
This is all spot on.

There a few key areas to minimise the pain:-

1) Find a model that you need to add almost no extras to (Porsche GTS, BMW M car etc, high spec as standard then lay off the options)
2) Find a model that is already built/pre reg and meets 95% of your needs and take a nice discount (BMW mainly)

Small compromise can make for big gains.
      07-01-2019, 05:08 PM   #12
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
To be fair my X3 was £60k OTR, so it’s really not that bad.
So why isn't there a Macan S on your drive? 60k for a an X3?
      07-01-2019, 05:18 PM   #13
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
So why isn't there a Macan S on your drive? 60k for a an X3?
Because I paid less than £50k for it, and it has HUD, does 0-60 in under 5 secs and returns more than 30mpg
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 05:53 AM   #14
takumichinoku
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Apart from the discount. I would rather have no HUD, do 60 in 5secs flat, do less than 30mpg and be in the Macan S! It’s the better car and you know it!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 06:34 AM   #15
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takumichinoku View Post
Apart from the discount. I would rather have no HUD, do 60 in 5secs flat, do less than 30mpg and be in the Macan S! It’s the better car and you know it!
Maybe, but there is a considerable premium to pay for it. IMHO its X5 money for the X3 and so it goes across the P Car range. Servicing and other whole life costs almost always come out in the favour of BMW....there's a reason Porsche is niche and BMW is mass market I'm afraid. To use the phrase:-

If it was easy everyone would be doing it.
      07-02-2019, 07:51 AM   #16
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by takumichinoku View Post
Maybe, but there is a considerable premium to pay for it. IMHO its X5 money for the X3 and so it goes across the P Car range. Servicing and other whole life costs almost always come out in the favour of BMW....there's a reason Porsche is niche and BMW is mass market I'm afraid. To use the phrase:-

If it was easy everyone would be doing it.
I agree with this. Found the same with the Cayenne as the nominal X5 competitor. On the face of it similar starting prices, then a huge gap opens up once basic options are added and that widens once discounts are factored in. Whatever I cut from my build, my '57k' Cayenne S was in the 80s.

If you can live with 1990 specs at 2020 prices, the basic Porsche models offer good value. Rear airbags, optional. Heated seats, optional etc. Etc.

In reality, Porsche are in a different market to the other brands. Whether the cars are worth that (and I am not saying they are not) is another question.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
JustChris17541.00