BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #1
HampshireUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i (2019)

Any UK owners trusted Halford with dashcam install

I have had lots of positive feedback from friends and colleagues about installs but wondered if there is any forum experience?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I would trust Halfrauds to install wiper blades!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
mrbmwx3
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HampshireUK View Post
I have had lots of positive feedback from friends and colleagues about installs but wondered if there is any forum experience?
I was going to ask the same as looking into purchasing the Blackvue 750s dashcam, but I guess it all depends on the branch and person doing the install. My worry is you get some person that doesn't give a sh!t and installs it incorrectly or takes apart the trim and doesn't put it back properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 11:46 AM   #4
HampshireUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbmwx3 View Post
I was going to ask the same as looking into purchasing the Blackvue 750s dashcam, but I guess it all depends on the branch and person doing the install. My worry is you get some person that doesn't give a sh!t and installs it incorrectly or takes apart the trim and doesn't put it back properly.

It’s like any trade if they are trained correctly and give a sh77 then they will do a great job. The branch about 20 miles from us has fitted a new battery to my mums car and wipers and always done a great job, also good reviews from friend and colleagues,

Thinking if they are insured etc the risk is minimal, if I do it and airbags go off or electrical issues there is no come back but if they do it then I have some cover.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
Spoonhead
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I had my blackvue front and rear dash cam installed by them and they were excellent. The technician was very knowledgeable and it’s very nicely installed. I had a faulty power magic pro but they swapped it out straight away.

I’m sure it will be down to specific branches as to the quality but I can’t fault the service personally.
      06-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #6
mrbmwx3
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Garage List
How much do they charge to install anyway?

I was looking at blackvuehd which essentially it TTW Installation which essentially deals with installs of in car equipment such as dash cam. Never used them but they advertise themselves as taking good care of your car and ensure there are no interference with DAB radio (of course they would).

Called them and asked them price of X3 install and it was around £189, they do mobile install or you can drive to them.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
HampshireUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I was looking at blackvuehd which essentially it TTW Installation which essentially deals with installs of in car equipment such as dash cam. Never used them but they advertise themselves as taking good care of your car and ensure there are no interference with DAB radio (of course they would).

Called them and asked them price of X3 install and it was around £189, they do mobile install or you can drive to them.

Looks like about £50 for the install and cables, memory card etc
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
Spoonhead
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

It £50 for the install. Pretty reasonable. About 2 hours I think.
      06-29-2019, 11:03 AM   #9
HampshireUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

New model Nextbase 522GW dashcam at Halfords

£119 camera only without SD card

£184 wiring kit, installation and 64 Gb SD card

I might let them loose on the wife’s VW Tiguan first then decide if they can go near my X3
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 10:45 PM   #10
SORA MONKEY
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M40D

First had wifes i10 done. Front fuse box install. Finish ok had to push a few bits back to perfection. However when it rained found camera installed outside wiper sweep. Moved it myself. Then had my m40d done. Turned into a rear fuse box install, thought it was possible in front but hey. Result good. As a precaution had them use suction pad and give excess wire in case I wanted to move.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2019, 01:09 AM   #11
HampshireUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SORA MONKEY View Post
First had wifes i10 done. Front fuse box install. Finish ok had to push a few bits back to perfection. However when it rained found camera installed outside wiper sweep. Moved it myself. Then had my m40d done. Turned into a rear fuse box install, thought it was possible in front but hey. Result good. As a precaution had them use suction pad and give excess wire in case I wanted to move.
Rear fuse box! Was this for a dual camera install or lack of knowledge ?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 01:43 AM   #12
Spoonhead
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SORA MONKEY View Post
Mine was a front fusebox install. Front and rear dash cam.
      06-30-2019, 01:55 AM   #13
HampshireUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonhead View Post
Mine was a front fusebox install. Front and rear dash cam.
Halfords install ?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 02:09 AM   #14
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Quote:

I used TTW at Nottingham for my install of Blackvue 650s 1 ch on my F31 and they were excellent. They fitted a power magic pro under the glove box and hardwired it in. I bought the camera from them also.

Have an interest in this thread because I'm in the process of swapping my F31 for G01.

Going forward though, may not hard wire into the car. May just run long cable to back of car and pick up one of 12 volt slots. Not sure yet. I do have some battery drain warnings quite regularly and in all the time I've had the parking mode on, I've never needed it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 02:18 AM   #15
Spoonhead
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Halfords install ?
It was.
      06-30-2019, 04:24 AM   #16
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

I used Blackvue themselves to install my last dash cam ... thinking their fitter would be great. Well, he wasn't, and having had the child like wiring shown to me by my alarm installer, I used them for the X3 Blackvue install. ... and am very pleased.

Road Radio from Crawley / Redhill were mine - £70 installed I think it was + properly.

Not used Halfords but can't imagine they will be worse than Blackvue themselves
, as an example !!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 05:16 AM   #17
SORA MONKEY
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M40D

Quote:
Rear fuse box! Was this for a dual camera install or lack of knowledge ?
Lack of knowledge I think, installer said could not find an ignition live fuse in the front. That said it was good enough and only 30 quid.

I have nextbase 422 with rear camera module added directly on. The rear is just ok, not really a full rear cam.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 05:22 AM   #18
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

I installed a Nextbase GW522 in to both mine and my wifes cars last week with the rear camera module in the back window. Its super easy to hide the wiring just watch a couple of your tube videos to give you ideas but basically its the same on any car. I used the nextbase wiring kit as well which you just remove a cigarette lighter fuse and pope the tap in there. Both cars used the front fuse box locations and were less than an hour each to fit.

I can thoroughly recommend the GW522 footage and sound is superb and you can control all the setting and download the footage straight to your phone.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 05:37 AM   #19
HampshireUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I had a Nextbase 512GW fitted at my local Halfords today in the wife’s VW Tiguan. The guy was knowledgable, polite and completed the job without damage or fuss in 30 mins. No sign of any wires and a good job.

He mentioned that Blackvue are better suited to BMW and Mercedes due to the potential for battery drain on the Nextbase cameras.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 02:52 PM   #20
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I had a Nextbase 512GW fitted at my local Halfords today in the wife’s VW Tiguan. The guy was knowledgable, polite and completed the job without damage or fuss in 30 mins. No sign of any wires and a good job.

He mentioned that Blackvue are better suited to BMW and Mercedes due to the potential for battery drain on the Nextbase cameras.
I bought an extra, dedicated battery for my Blackvue as it kept draining my M240i battery ... thus if the Nextbase is worse I would not touch it with a bargepole !
Appreciate 1
willjames709.00
      07-05-2019, 07:11 PM   #21
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO8 View Post
I bought an extra, dedicated battery for my Blackvue as it kept draining my M240i battery ... thus if the Nextbase is worse I would not touch it with a bargepole !
The Nextbase cameras a great and can't drain the car battery even if faulty when they're wired in correctly. It should be wired into the cigarette light fuse which is disconnected power wise by the car after about 4 minutes with the ignition off. So the camera has no power feed after that, that's when it relies on its internal battery for parking mode. It's the power up and power down from that source that turns the camera on and off. Anyone who has problems with battery drain and the Nextbase cams has the incorrectly fitted. We have two on our BMWs and both work great.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 02:41 AM   #22
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
The Nextbase cameras a great and can't drain the car battery even if faulty when they're wired in correctly. It should be wired into the cigarette light fuse which is disconnected power wise by the car after about 4 minutes with the ignition off. So the camera has no power feed after that, that's when it relies on its internal battery for parking mode. It's the power up and power down from that source that turns the camera on and off. Anyone who has problems with battery drain and the Nextbase cams has the incorrectly fitted. We have two on our BMWs and both work great.
My Blackvue had a 'MagicPro' so stayed on for 12 hrs after the ignition was off. That was what drained the battery as it was running in parking mode. It turned off after 12 hrs if not restarted or if the battery level dropped too low. In reality the BMW was very toughy re battery level and I got a warning about every third day ... thus the battery.
Appreciate 0