BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-26-2019, 05:56 PM   #1
Fujing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

I got my x3 back from the certified BMW body shop due to the OEM paint defect on the edge of the fender. I finally got a chance to take a look really closely yesterday while washing the car. I noticed there are funny texture shown underneath the clear coat. (Like thousands of white dots inside the clear. See photos)

I was told that the repair was to sand off the OEM imperfections at the edge close to the A pilar and color blend within the fender followed by a complete reclear of the fender.

Could anybody tell me what is the stuff I am looking at? And what's the cause of that. The body shop told me that the paint job was perfect and it is per BMW standard.: more importantly, how can I correct this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 05:59 PM   #2
Fujing
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujing View Post
I got my x3 back from the certified BMW body shop due to the OEM paint defect on the edge of the fender. I finally got a chance to take a look really closely yesterday while washing the car. I noticed there are funny texture shown underneath the clear coat. (See photos)

I was told that the repair was to sand off the OEM imperfections at the edge close to the A pilar and color blend within the fender followed by a complete reclear of the fender.

Could anybody tell me what is the stuff I am looking at? And what's the cause of that. The body shop told me that the paint job was perfect and it is per BMW standard.:
It was fine at the area with the new color coat the texture area is further away from it.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 07:23 PM   #3
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Orange peel

Quote:
It was fine at the area with the new color coat the texture area is further away from it.
What you’re seeing is orange peel. They should have color sanded the repainted area after the final clear coat. Sure doesn’t match the adjacent panel. I would argue for another repaint by another dealer/body shop.
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 07:34 PM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Quote:
I got my x3 back from the certified BMW body shop due to the OEM paint defect on the edge of the fender. I finally got a chance to take a look really closely yesterday while washing the car. I noticed there are funny texture shown underneath the clear coat. (See photos)

Could anybody tell me what is the stuff I am looking at? And what's the cause of that. The body shop told me that the paint job was perfect and it is per BMW standard.:
Painter did a sloppy blend. Keep in mind a blend has the painter spray base coat (color) on surrounding areas that currently have clear. Then they clearcoat over that. Get them to rework their poor workmanship. Maybe the shop has another, more experienced, painter?
      06-26-2019, 08:18 PM   #5
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
+1 on crappy workmanship
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 08:51 PM   #6
Fujing
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Painter did a sloppy blend. Keep in mind a blend has the painter spray base coat (color) on surrounding areas that currently have clear. Then they clearcoat over that. Get them to rework their poor workmanship. Maybe the shop has another, more experienced, painter?
This is what I was thinking too. The new color on old clear then the new clear on that... do I really need a blend on the fender? The repainted area where has a good coverage matches very well with the a Pilar and the hood. I did some search online and people mentioned there is no need to have a blend for the solid white color
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 08:52 PM   #7
Fujing
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX3 View Post
Quote:
What you’re seeing is orange peel. They should have color sanded the repainted area after the final clear coat. Sure doesn’t match the adjacent panel. I would argue for another repaint by another dealer/body shop.
No, this is not the orange peel, the orange peel is fine, these texture is underneath the clear.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 08:53 PM   #8
Fujing
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was surprise that this is the certified BMW body shop and they are the only one in the area...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 09:08 PM   #9
Fujing
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
+1 on crappy workmanship
Thanks for your input, I am going to talk to them again tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 10:03 PM   #10
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is what I was thinking too. The new color on old clear then the new clear on that... do I really need a blend on the fender? The repainted area where has a good coverage matches very well with the a Pilar and the hood. I did some search online and people mentioned there is no need to have a blend for the solid white color
Oh no, alpine white is as tough to get the shade right as many other solid colors. Sometimes it looks good in bright sun, then not under moonlight or artificial light. AW is generally easier to spray, but color match is the same nightmare as most other solid colors.
      06-26-2019, 10:25 PM   #11
Fujing
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh no, alpine white is as tough to get the shade right as many other solid colors. Sometimes it looks good in bright sun, then not under moonlight or artificial light. AW is generally easier to spray, but color match is the same nightmare as most other solid colors.
So when they try to redo the panel, they will still have to blend the paint? I am worry about the same thing is gonna happen if they start blending into the door and the hood
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 10:27 PM   #12
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So when they try to redo the panel, they will still have to blend the paint? I am worry about the same thing is gonna happen if they start blending into the door and the hood
A good painter can blend and you won't be able to see where old/new begins/ends.