BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-26-2019, 12:06 PM   #1
nlk10010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

2018 M40i Lighting Weirdness

OK, this may be in the manual, it may be in a thread on these Boards, but I've searched and can't come up with an answer.

For the second time (at least) the lights on my vehicle went crazy when I shut it off. Well, maybe not crazy, but the headlights, taillights, inside lighting and probably some others all came on simultaneously when I parked in my garage. My headlight switch is on off, I don't touch ANY panel switches after hitting the STOP button twice and taking my foot off the brake pedal. I have to basically turn the headlight switch to on and then back to off to get the lights to shut off.

I THOUGHT that perhaps, the fob being in my pocket, I was somehow pressing a button as I moved about to get out, but I can't think of a button that will activate all the lights. They don't flash, there is no sound, the whole car, essentially, well, just lights up.

Anyone experience or know of something similar?

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #2
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Why are you pushing the stop button twice when turning off the vehicle? Sounds to me you are turning it off and then turning it back on to a stand-by state.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #3
nlk10010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Why are you pushing the stop button twice when turning off the vehicle? Sounds to me you are turning it off and then turning it back on to a stand-by state.
There must be a misunderstanding: That's what I was told to do when I bought the car and have been doing consistently. Keep foot on brake and press the button twice. The second push IIRC blanks out the display and gives me a message about how to restart the car.

While I appreciate your post, I think the issue I'm experiencing is unrelated to this procedure. Most of the time there is no problem with pushing the button twice.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 03:34 PM   #4
daveinmass
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Pushing the button twice is what you USED to have to do to shut down my 2017 M240 but NOT the '18 or '19 X3m40i. I've pushed it twice a couple of times out of habit.
Appreciate 1
TXSchnee1316.50
      06-26-2019, 03:39 PM   #5
nlk10010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinmass View Post
Pushing the button twice is what you USED to have to do to shut down my 2017 M240 but NOT the '18 or '19 X3m40i. I've pushed it twice a couple of times out of habit.
Well, go figure.

I'll take the advice of you two posters and see what, if any, difference there is. Pressing the button once does indeed shut the engine down; as I say, pressing it again in addition seems to blank the display, so the second press does do SOMETHING.

However, I still don't think this is related to the lighting flakiness.

Thank you for the info regardless.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 04:28 PM   #6
nlk10010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWModel3 View Post
The idle state behavior has changed (I think) for the G series chassis cars. Just hit the engine stop button once, open the door the radio should turn off, some interior lights and DRLs will stay on until you lock the car.
Right, the same thing basically happens now when I hit the button twice; the interior lights and maybe pathway and interior colored lights (the garage is dark) stay on for a minute or so. It's the headlights and taillights (and other lights) turning on that has me creeped out.

Thank You.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 04:33 PM   #7
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
there is on off button for the lights? no..there is not... not in my X3. lights will stay on until certain amount of time or until you lock the car (whichever comes first).
      06-26-2019, 05:02 PM   #8
nlk10010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
there is on off button for the lights? no..there is not... not in my X3. lights will stay on until certain amount of time or until you lock the car (whichever comes first).
Sure is (for the headlights). For the interior lights, of course no.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 05:10 PM   #9
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010 View Post
Quote:
Sure is (for the headlights). For the interior lights, of course no.
Can you please tell me then, how to turn the lights off? Because AFAIK you can't, unless you code it. DRLs ale always on - no matter the position of the switch.
      06-26-2019, 05:16 PM   #10
nlk10010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding (again, I'm prone to those).

The issue I'm having is that, occasionally, when I stop the car and exit both the headlights and taillights (at least) go on, even though the rotary switch that controls the headlights (and some other lights) is in the off position. I would assume all models of X3 have this switch (I'm not talking about manually controlling DRLs or pathway lighting or other interior lighting, just headlights). In order to get the headlights and taillights off I need to rotate the switch to the headlight "on" (or headlight "automatic") position and then back to off.

I hope I'm not confusing people.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 05:44 PM   #11
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Thing is, that is not an issue, rather a behaviour. Completely normal. The lights are always on (DRLs, which includes the tail lights), no matter the switch position. The "off" position of the switch is turning off the adaptive mode of the lights (if you have them). I'm not confused - but it looks like you are Btw, what manual are you using? The phone app version is better imo, and tailored to you car options.
      06-26-2019, 06:22 PM   #12
Battin4th
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

FWIW, I push the button once after placing the car the Park and taking my foot off the brake. If I leave my foot on the brake when turning off the car, the radio and other displays do not turn off when the door is opened. But that's been another mystery of sorts, covered in another thread, as I recall.

Good luck with diagnosing your problem!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 06:50 PM   #13
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinmass View Post
BMW was smart to get rid of that stupid push the start/stop button twice to completely turn engine and vehicle off. They were also smart to go back to the normal turn signal activation like every other make has been using for decades and now only one pull on inside door lever to open the door when the doors were locked.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 07:22 PM   #14
nlk10010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thing is, that is not an issue, rather a behaviour. Completely normal. The lights are always on (DRLs, which includes the tail lights), no matter the switch position. The "off" position of the switch is turning off the adaptive mode of the lights (if you have them). I'm not confused - but it looks like you are Btw, what manual are you using? The phone app version is better imo, and tailored to you car options.
No, you are incorrect. The lights are not always on, neither the DRLs nor the regular headlights. There is a rotary control for the lights and an iDrive menu selection for the DRLs.

Perhaps it is different in Europe, I don't know, but that's not how it works in the U.S.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 07:26 PM   #15
weez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Competition

My radio suddenly stopped turning after opening the door(s) like it used to. Now it turns off when you lock it. Kind of annoying...maybe I'll try the two button off method.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 07:31 PM   #16
nlk10010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weez View Post
My radio suddenly stopped turning after opening the door(s) like it used to. Now it turns off when you lock it. Kind of annoying...maybe I'll try the two button off method.
Well, look, I KNOW I was told to press the button twice, but that was by a BMW "Genius" at delivery, so I could easily see how they were unaware the procedure had changed from 2017 to 2018. Because BMW Geniuses aren't really, well, geniuses.

Hitting the STOP button twice hasn't done any harm (I don't think) so I guess it's up to the driver; choose whichever procedure gives the result you prefer.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 02:39 AM   #17
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010 View Post
Perhaps there is a misunderstanding (again, I'm prone to those).

The issue I'm having is that, occasionally, when I stop the car and exit both the headlights and taillights (at least) go on, even though the rotary switch that controls the headlights (and some other lights) is in the off position. I would assume all models of X3 have this switch (I'm not talking about manually controlling DRLs or pathway lighting or other interior lighting, just headlights). In order to get the headlights and taillights off I need to rotate the switch to the headlight "on" (or headlight "automatic") position and then back to off.

I hope I'm not confusing people.
I did notice this yesterday. Was in a multi-storey car park, and unlike my Audi (when you turned lights to off they were off), this was not the case with the M40i
      06-27-2019, 04:30 AM   #18
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weez View Post
This behaviour is flaky.

If you press the engine button to turn off the ignition (so the rev needle falls to 0 rather than 'Ready'), then open the door, it will stop the radio.

However

If you come to a stop, the ASS turns the engine off (needle on 'Ready'), then you put it in Park and open the door, the radio will keep playing for a while, or until you either a) open another door b) close the drivers door.

I also thought this behavior had changed at first, but then realised it was because I was driving it in sport less often and the ASS when turning the car off instead of me pressing the button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010
Are you sure this isn't the 'pathway lighting' (also called 'Welcome Lighting') option provided with the modern iDrive (might be option dependent)? This is designed to turn the headlights on (regardless of switch position) when you step out the car in order to light your pathway to your house, of course in reality this only works if you park your car outside facing your house but the additional light can be useful in all outdoor situations. It is enabled/disabled in the iDrive options, you can disable it or change the time that the headlights come on for. From memory, it also lights the rear lights at the same time. Sounds like what you are describing.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 07:15 AM   #19
nlk10010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersebbo View Post

-snip-
Are you sure this isn't the 'pathway lighting' (also called 'Welcome Lighting') option provided with the modern iDrive (might be option dependent)? This is designed to turn the headlights on (regardless of switch position) when you step out the car in order to light your pathway to your house, of course in reality this only works if you park your car outside facing your house but the additional light can be useful in all outdoor situations. It is enabled/disabled in the iDrive options, you can disable it or change the time that the headlights come on for. From memory, it also lights the rear lights at the same time. Sounds like what you are describing.
Well, that's an interesting point, but then I would wonder what sets it off. I've had the car over a year, park in the same place all the time and this has only happened, to my recollection, twice. I AM familiar with the interior and pathway lighting from the doors, that's fine. It's basically like someone has turned the headlights on manually: I park facing a wall and the whole wall lights up, the taillights also come on as they do when the headlights are turned on. I thought for a second I had inadvertently pressed an emergency button on the fob but that would cause, I guess, flashing and horn honking.

Look, is it something I can live with? I guess so, although I've also had the rear hatch pop open while I was driving, that happened once but I can't live with that possibility. I'm just resigned to this car (cars nowadays?) being so computerized that gremlins pop up. Maybe what I should do is wait and see if it turns itself off automatically.

But your idea is interesting, thanks, I'll look into it.
Appreciate 0