F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Steering Rack
Studio RSR

06-24-2019, 10:49 AM   #1
smorg99
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e M Sport

Steering Rack

When I bought my first F30 (2013 pre-LCI) after a while, and thanks in part to this forum, I found I had the common knocking from the rack. By the time I knew that it shouldn’t be like that it had run out of warranty the non BMW garage gave me on it. It didn’t cause me too much bother so wasn’t worth the cost in replacing out of warranty.

My current F30 (2016 LCI) doesn’t have any knocks but when the car is off, if i move the wheel to the left and right I do get a knock - exactly the same as a video someone posted here a while back.

It’s still under warranty so is it worth getting it looked at or are they all like this? Would the dealer agree to replace even though the only evidence is a knock when I move the wheel when off/stationary?

Be good to compare to a new(ish) F30 if when moving the wheel left/right when off, the knocks are also evident.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorg99 View Post
When I bought my first F30 (2013 pre-LCI) after a while, and thanks in part to this forum, I found I had the common knocking from the rack. By the time I knew that it shouldn’t be like that it had run out of warranty the non BMW garage gave me on it. It didn’t cause me too much bother so wasn’t worth the cost in replacing out of warranty.

My current F30 (2016 LCI) doesn’t have any knocks but when the car is off, if i move the wheel to the left and right I do get a knock - exactly the same as a video someone posted here a while back.

It’s still under warranty so is it worth getting it looked at or are they all like this? Would the dealer agree to replace even though the only evidence is a knock when I move the wheel when off/stationary?

Be good to compare to a new(ish) F30 if when moving the wheel left/right when off, the knocks are also evident.
The service technician will ask why are you moving the steering wheel left and right with the ignition off ?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 12:10 PM   #3
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Does it knock at all if you rock it side to side with the engine running? If not, the fix is don't rock the steering wheel with the ignition off, it can't be good for it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

I had the knock and ordered the MS00084 tool. I tightened the thrust plate on the steering rack by just 1/16 of a turn and the knock was gone.

However there was an unexpected benefit....

So what must happen is the the plastic part (which can be replaced as part of a recent BMW repair kit),wears over time. This has the effect of producing backlash in the mechanism. Meaning is there is a small movement in the steering wheel before the wheels actually turn when changing direction.
What I have found is my car is far less susceptible to tramlining and the steering feel is improved.

I highly recommend you get the tool and sort it out. Takes about 40 mins and cost me only £5 as I sold the tool on for almost what I bought it for.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #5
smorg99
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
The service technician will ask why are you moving the steering wheel left and right with the ignition off ?
Sometimes it's an old habit as past cars had steering locks.

Surely it shouldn't make this noise though? Should there be so much play in the steering when the car is off and should it clunk every time the wheel is moved.
Also noticed it when cleaning the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 01:52 PM   #6
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorg99 View Post
Sometimes it's an old habit as past cars had steering locks.

Surely it shouldn't make this noise though? Should there be so much play in the steering when the car is off and should it clunk every time the wheel is moved.
Also noticed it when cleaning the steering wheel.
You haven't answered the question though of whether or not there's any knock from it with the engine running? If there isn't what's the problem?
They aren't designed to be rocked harshly with the ignition off, that's a sure way to cause wear/damage over time.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 03:57 PM   #7
motoring_101
Private
Rep
Drives: 335D X-drive

Hi,

You don't need to rock it harshly to create the sound, a simple knock with my elbow while cleaning yesterday was enough for it to clunk!

As some have said though there is no noticeable noise when engine is on although I have read that some people get a clunk when reversing and turning the wheel

Going to try adjusting the rack with the aforementioned tool when i can find (make) one!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 01:32 AM   #8
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveS View Post
Takes about 40 mins and cost me only £5 as I sold the tool on for almost what I bought it for.
Why does it take around 40 mins? Is access that bad?
      07-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #9
PeaceWalker87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC/E70 X5 35i/E39 530i

Guys, tightening that thrust plate (nut) will only result in rack failure.. I've seen it happen to many cars so far. there is a repair thrust piece, but the repair is not easy and it requires a special tool that so far I've only been able to find on ECS and its on back order.

here's the repair manual: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nit/1Vnc3X9PQZ
Appreciate 0