BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

Driving assistant with ACC

So the other day I was driving in the city, I decided to turn on the driving assistant systems with a speed set of 50 and max distance, the car was driving itself fine but then I could see a red light coming up. On my other car (Jeep Grand Cherokee) it would begin to slow itself a great distance from stopped traffic, however the X5 kept going at set speed until about 5 car lengths away which made me manualy apply allot of braeking.

Is this really how the system on the G05 works or do I need to have mine looked at because my 55k jeep can drive and stop gently when stopped traffic appears but my 100k G05 will rear end someone ? ...

:

I do have the Professional with extended traffic jam and all that good stuff.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #2
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroGeek View Post
So the other day I was driving in the city, I decided to turn on the driving assistant systems with a speed set of 50 and max distance, the car was driving itself fine but then I could see a red light coming up. On my other car (Jeep Grand Cherokee) it would begin to slow itself a great distance from stopped traffic, however the X5 kept going at set speed until about 5 car lengths away which made me manualy apply allot of braeking.

Is this really how the system on the G05 works or do I need to have mine looked at because my 55k jeep can drive and stop gently when stopped traffic appears but my 100k G05 will rear end someone ? ...

:

I do have the Professional with extended traffic jam and all that good stuff.
"Oh my gosh" x5, said my wife when I showed this feature to her, thinking the car won't stop. So my experience is similar with the stopping more aggressive than my driving style. Perhaps this is how BMW are normally driven
      06-22-2019, 11:02 PM   #3
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Mine behaves this way as well. I find in these types of situations (where there are traffic lights or random stops), it's best if there is a car moving at a similar speed in front of you that your X5 locks onto. Then it slows down more gradually with the car in front to a complete stop.

Yes, kinda of annoying that your Jeep handles that better, but that's the way it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 11:05 PM   #4
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Mine behaves this way as well. I find in these types of situations (where there are traffic lights or random stops), it's best if there is a car moving at a similar speed in front of you that your X5 locks onto. Then it slows down more gradually with the car in front to a complete stop.

Yes, kinda of annoying that your Jeep handles that better, but that's the way it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post

I feel like this is a programming issue, the X5 like the Jeep has a forward facing radar unit so unless Jeep is putting a superior unit in there the vehicle, the X5 should be able to see very far ahead and know a object isn't moving or has slowed substantially..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 12:30 PM   #5
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Same for many systems, including the Q7. Braking depends on the angle the car is approaching another car (up, down), weather, speed, phase of the moon for all I know. I don't depend exclusively on the car braking when approaching another car at a stop - it might or might not - and it can be alarming approaching at speed and have the car slam on emergency braking (inviting a rear end collision), so best to be ready to intervene. No perfect system yet, hence called "driver assistance" rather than "driver replacement."
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 07:00 AM   #6
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

This was discussed in another thread in regards to stationary objects on the road.

It's an issue with with most level 2 system including Tesla. Stationary objects on the road (signs ,railings etc) are ignored and this include cars that are stopped.
Appreciate 0