E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > I don't think I was meant to own an e90.

03-29-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
Bob T
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i, Jet Black, BMW Motos

Unhappy I don't think I was meant to own an e90.

I'm really starting to think that an e90 just wasn't meant to be for me. I ordered my 330i in January. It arrived in the US on the 12th of this month. Shipment to my dealer was held up for doing the software update. After a missed ship date, I finally found out that my car was damaged on the driver's door and getting repaired at the VPC. It was then suppose to ship last Wednesday with a couple of days to the dealer.

Well, after no show on Friday, or the weekend, the dealer still said that the vehicle should arrive on Monday. No show on Monday they called BMWNA to try to find out what happened. The latest is the car was loaded on a truck last week and either got additional damage or it was first discovered at that time. The damage is apparently to the hood. So far, can't find out from BMWNA (via my dealer since I'm a nobody in BMWNA's eyes) how extensive or what the fix is this time.

I can't take the time to order another vehicle so I'm waiting to see this one when it comes in. At that time I'll decide whether I'm going to take delivery or move on to something else. There is another dealer 800 miles away that does have my same vehicle but at a higher price, plus travel, plus I would loose the BMW 2.9% financing available in Michigan currently.

I'm happy for all of you that have had great buying experiences and are enjoying your e90's. Just wish my experience so far would have been a lot better. After having a few vehicles in the past that had been damaged in transit repaired and then had problems down the road, I'm getting real leary on this one.

Constructive thoughts most appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 09:27 PM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

To have the car damaged twice really is dissapointing. However, wait and see what it looks like when it does finally arrive at the dealer. In the meantime let them know IN WRITING that due to the car being damaged twice, you insist on first right of refusal.

You are doing the right thing and there really isn't much to add. It really is a bit of a waiting game. Once the car comes in, then you can start some additional negotiations as compensation for your wasted time etc.

I hope it all works out well for you and yes, you ARE meant to have an E90 BMW!!!

Take care.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Is the car at the dealer or still at the VDC? If it´s at the VDC and the repairs are being done there, they will be equiv. to new.

At this point, however, your dealer should be doing extensive arse kissing and starting to make up the delay to you. If he´s not, a conversation with the sales manager is in order.

I´m not saying they owe you the world; what I am intending to say is that they should be - even in small ways - demonstrating how they value you as a customer.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 09:38 PM   #4
Marven
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 Sedan

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
hey there

Man, I feel your pain..I wont gloate about mine but hang on in there..the car is worth it in the end..I agree with all here - the dealer owes you a little TLC and a discount...

Good Luck!
M.
      03-29-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
325Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i

Damaged twice in transit! Your dealer better offer the car to you for $2k under invoice at this point. I am sorry to hear the ordering process has gone so awry for you. Hopefully it will all work out in the end for the best. That may mean you end up without an E90 though which would be ashame. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 09:43 PM   #6
Mr. BMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
Have your dealer go an get the car that is 800 miles away or tell them you will walk. If they want your bussiness and don't want a bad review, they will do it. If they still won't do it, give them the url to this post and we'll be all over their ass!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 09:46 PM   #7
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I feel bad for you too man. If that was me I would be mad as well. Like David325's suggested, I would wait until it arrived that the dealer and then decide whether or not I want it. Really your options are to either stay with the car and maybe get some other things to come with it by negotiating with the dealer or order/buy another E90. Honestly, I would NOT buy a car that's been damaged (twice). the E90 is a great car and I know you would love it. So dont put that thought about not meant to own a BMW in your head. Just make sure that you dont buy the car if you have even the slightest doubt about it. I dont know what else to say except G'luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 09:49 PM   #8
jbnimble
Ireland
Rep
Drives: E46 330i, E90 330xi

Sorry to hear about the hassle Bob.
What dealer did you go with in Michigan?
I used Erhard at Farmington Hills. My car arrived 8 weeks to the day and I ordered it Jan 27th. Flawless transaction.

I agree with Mr BMW. Your dealer should be getting you the other car 800 miles away, scrapping the Delivery charge and giving it to you at invoice price!

Hang in there! It really is worth it. Perma-grin!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 09:57 PM   #9
ru with me drhoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: not yet!

Just a thought...

Who's to say the other car 800 miles away wasn't damaged in transit as well? The only ones we KNOW are damaged are the ones we track on their way in, right?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 09:58 PM   #10
Bob T
Private
Rep

Thanks for the thoughts. The car is still at the VPC and should be reshipped again this Friday.

Regarding the dealer, they have been decent to me but not going out of there way with anything. I know they feel this was a skinny deal that they are not making much on it. We all know the fault is outside their control. BMWNA should step up to the plate in some manner but from everything I hear, they just won't do shit for VPC repairs since the vehicles are suppose to be the same as coming straight from the factory.

The problem is all of the other factors with the situation. This includes the low interest financing, my current lack of one vehicle (wife and I sharing a car), going into my busy time of the year (selling real estate), etc. Top it off with being a fussy customer getting a black car that I didn't even want the dealer to wash much less wax, it really blows.

Part of me is about at the point of just saying take it as is and be done with it. Even if I got a perfect car, there is no saying that someone won't key it or it will get hailed or some other thing. Life is short, in the grand scheme of things it just shouldn't matter. Or at least I keep telling myself that...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 10:30 PM   #11
wahoo
Bangin' my head against the wall
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob T
Thanks for the thoughts. The car is still at the VPC and should be reshipped again this Friday.

Regarding the dealer, they have been decent to me but not going out of there way with anything. I know they feel this was a skinny deal that they are not making much on it. We all know the fault is outside their control. BMWNA should step up to the plate in some manner but from everything I hear, they just won't do shit for VPC repairs since the vehicles are suppose to be the same as coming straight from the factory.

The problem is all of the other factors with the situation. This includes the low interest financing, my current lack of one vehicle (wife and I sharing a car), going into my busy time of the year (selling real estate), etc. Top it off with being a fussy customer getting a black car that I didn't even want the dealer to wash much less wax, it really blows.

Part of me is about at the point of just saying take it as is and be done with it. Even if I got a perfect car, there is no saying that someone won't key it or it will get hailed or some other thing. Life is short, in the grand scheme of things it just shouldn't matter. Or at least I keep telling myself that...
Actually, I'd be wary of taking the car unless you get additional monies off. My car had an undisclosed issue that I found out about when I tried to trade in my e46. They basically told me that the hood had been wet sanded and paintwork had been done on it. I never knew. I'd demand money off or demand them to re-order the car. It is a hassle and it sucks. I've been there. Keep bugging BMWNA and keep records of all conversations, dates etc. Also, tell BMWNA that you're keeping record of all discussions etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 01:06 AM   #12
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

patience will be rewarded friend

they should be able to fix the car just fine, and nobody down the road when you go to sell it will ever know.

no reason to burn bridges with the local dealer (and travel 800 miles) you'll probably need them when service time comes around.

Let us know if the damage is detectable when it does arrive

I know waiting's tough
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 01:59 AM   #13
docbolo
BMW worshiper
Rep
Drives: M3/alpine/manual/prem/19"

They should not only compensate you for this with $$ but you should DEMAND a free extended warranty. Related thing happened to my friend (not BMW) and they gave free extended warr. good luck bro. you will be happy when you get it. post pics!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 02:04 AM   #14
carl_d
General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10

Walk away - there will always be a nagging doubt.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 06:36 AM   #15
fivepntohh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330xi & 92 Mustang

Now ur making me nervous waiting for my car!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 06:42 AM   #16
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Sorry to hear about your story man.

I wouldn't walk away, it is worth the wait. I think David's idea is sensible, but I would also be looking for goodies thrown in or a discount, some good 'ol fashioned arse licking and the like.

Perhaps while you wait they should be giving you a demo on permanent loan.

Last edited by JamieA; 03-30-2006 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 09:36 AM   #17
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Very sorry to hear that you're having such a rotten experience. Try to keep the faith, and when the car comes in it should be fine. I would certainly give some extra critical inspection with the sales manager along to note any concerns, etc. I also agree with JSpira that your dealer should be doing everything they can at this point to "show you some love".

I hope everything comes out okay in the end... and it probably will. The whole process of ordering a new car and taking delivery is supposed to be fun and thrilling. It sucks when something takes away from that, but keep your chin up.

Let us know how things turn out.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2006, 08:06 AM   #18
jbnimble
Ireland
Rep
Drives: E46 330i, E90 330xi

Quote:
The problem is all of the other factors with the situation. This includes the low interest financing...
Bob,
Your dealer should have locked you in at the 2.9% APR regardless of when you get the car.
I ordered mine in Jan. BMW offered the 2.9 rate in Michigan for Feb. My car arrived last tuesday (March) and my dealer had me locked in at 2.9%.
That is the least they could do all things considered.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2006, 08:37 AM   #19
Bob T
Private
Rep

I'm good with my local dealer on the 2.9% for this vehicle. With buying the one out of state, BMWFS will not honor this rate. I'm not sure if I order another one next week and it comes in 6 to 8 weeks later if I still can get this rate.

I'm really torn as to how to handle this situation. The thought of accepting this car, especially when BMWNA won't make any concessions for me accepting a repaired vehicle does not make me happy. If I have an issue down the road with a paint problem or something, I will again be the one that is being inconvenienced. Waiting for another vehicle isn't much better when I'm down one car in the family. I drive a lot of miles and I'm trying to lessen the miles on our other primary car.

My Lexus dealer called me yesterday and said that they just got in an unsold black/black IS350. Although it is not what I want to drive, I'm so pissed at the situation and BMWNA especially, I'm half tempted to go drive it.

On the other hand, I'm looking out my office window at a Jet Black 330i with sport sitting in my parking lot (same as what I ordered).
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2006, 09:11 AM   #20
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

can't hurt anything to drive the lexus,

I always like to drive everything so that I won't have doubts as to if I bought the best car for the $$
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2006, 09:36 AM   #21
ashecnc
In the delivery business :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i Jet Black/Black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

You're right things will happen. I like to keep mine clean too, but as careful as I am, I seem to get nailed with rocks at least 2 days out of 7. I have stopped looking at my front end. I can't lose any sleep over it. To keep it like day one I'd have to leave it in my garage, and I refuse to just look at it and not drive it.. any way, keep up posted and good luck.

Born 10/05 '06 325i Jet Black, Black, Sport Package, Xenon's, Heated Seats & Power, Sat. Prep, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Tips, Blacklines, Chrome Grills, 19" M5 wheels NO MORE run flats, drives like a dream now
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2006, 10:00 AM   #22
Bob T
Private
Rep

I did just get additional word from my dealer. The hood had a minor scratch repair/buff. It was not resprayed. The car is again being released to carrier today and should once again be at the dealer on Monday (third time I've heard that).

So, at this point no panels have been resprayed. If all looks good, I'll be taking the car. If not, I will reorder the same thing again. The sales manager did say that BMWFS will keep the 2.9 rate if I reorder.

After dealing with all this nonsense, I did get a great little BMW moment yesterday. Had great weather in Mid-Michigan and my son and I took out our 2 BMW motorcycles. Wonderful hour and half of riding on some good curvy roads south of town. Bikes ran great and we both were in the right zone for some really fun spirited riding.
Appreciate 0