06-22-2019, 06:07 AM   #1
SpaceForRent
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 M240xi  [0.00]
Wind noise

Had a test drive of a M40 yesterday and the wind noise/turbulence was pretty annoying with the top down. Currently I have an M240 and it's extremely quiet with the top down. I've looked and I see no comments on the board about wind noise and I think I even remember someone saying the Z4 was very quiet as well, so not sure what's up?
The test drive was on a just off the truck car, so perhaps they didn't prep it completely? The dealer and I looked at everything in the cab to see if there was something blocking the wind flow, but we didn't see anything obvious.

So, compared to an M240, what is the wind noise of the Z4 like?

I'm going to go back and give it another try once it's been fully prepped, as I do like everything else about the car.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 07:24 AM   #2
PrionFawkes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i (2020)

Was wind deflector installed?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 08:11 AM   #3
SpaceForRent
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M240xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrionFawkes View Post
Was wind deflector installed?
Yup. Tried it with and without..
Not end of the world noisy, just significantly louder than in my M240 is all. Since it was a new vehicle, was just wondering if it was not prepped completely or something common to the Z4.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Windows up or down? With windows up and wind deflector installed I find it pretty calm inside, i.e. I can carry a conversation even at interstate speeds (70+ mph). I am not much a talker though and like to listen to the engine growling and burbling in Sport Plus...
      06-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #5
SpaceForRent
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M240xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
Windows up or down? With windows up and wind deflector installed I find it pretty calm inside, i.e. I can carry a conversation even at interstate speeds (70+ mph). I am not much a talker though and like to listen to the engine growling and burbling in Sport Plus...
Down. Up's not so loud. Again, comparing to what I'm used to in the M240 where it's very quiet with the windows down. Easy to listen to music or talk to someone.
+1 on the Z4 sounds.. Much improved over the M240, even though they have the same engine I believe.
I really want to like the Z4 for a lot of reasons, but much of the fun we have in the M240 is driving around with the top and windows down.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #6
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmeezer View Post
Quote:
Down. Up's not so loud. Again, comparing to what I'm used to in the M240 where it's very quiet with the windows down. Easy to listen to music or talk to someone.
+1 on the Z4 sounds.. Much improved over the M240, even though they have the same engine I believe.
I really want to like the Z4 for a lot of reasons, but much of the fun we have in the M240 is driving around with the top and windows down.
Yep, there is much more turbulence and noise with windows down at highway speeds. I cannot compare it to the M240 Vert.
      06-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #7
SpaceForRent
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M240xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Yep, there is much more turbulence and noise with windows down at highway speeds. I cannot compare it to the M240 Vert.
Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #8
J400uk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 840i Convertible

I had an M240i Convertible whilst I was waiting for my Z4 to arrive and can't say I've noticed much difference in wind noise with the tops down. My Z4 wasn't great without the wind deflector, but since retrofitting that it's now about the same as the M240i was with the wind deflector. I generally keep the windows up though!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:41 PM   #9
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Z4 wind noise is very low; better than my f type, about the same as our SLK. We drive with the side windows up at any speed over 60kms/h or so.
Similar comments from most reviewers.
Cheers, Dave.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 10:27 AM   #10
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

Resurrecting this thread:

It was noted early on that the GR Supra had awful wind noise & buffeting when driven with the windows open. I believe that a fix is to change the airflow near the side mirrors, either with new end caps or small trim pieces that fit in/near the mirrors.

Does anyone know if any of these end caps or fittings would fit on a Z4, and if so whether they improve airflow? In particular, I’m wondering if they’d improve airflow for top up or top down driving with the windows down, but especially top down/windows down - there’s noticeably more noise & buffeting with the windows down. It’s not intolerable by any means, but if I could smooth the airflow out to reduce noise with windows down that’s something I’d be interested in doing.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 12:25 PM   #11
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebirotedu View Post
Resurrecting this thread:

It was noted early on that the GR Supra had awful wind noise & buffeting when driven with the windows open. I believe that a fix is to change the airflow near the side mirrors, either with new end caps or small trim pieces that fit in/near the mirrors.

Does anyone know if any of these end caps or fittings would fit on a Z4, and if so whether they improve airflow? In particular, I’m wondering if they’d improve airflow for top up or top down driving with the windows down, but especially top down/windows down - there’s noticeably more noise & buffeting with the windows down. It’s not intolerable by any means, but if I could smooth the airflow out to reduce noise with windows down that’s something I’d be interested in doing.
Top closed, windows down creates a lot of wind buffeting noise which is the same issue as the Supra. If you disturb the airflow between the A pillar and mirror with your hand while driving, it eliminates the noise.

I believe the mirrors are different so the caps won't fit. I remember bringing this issue up last year or the year before. I don't know if anyone ever made a set for the Z4 either, but I'd be inclined to buy them if they were available.

Rob
Appreciate 1
ebirotedu1446.50
      04-13-2022, 12:32 PM   #12
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

Thanks, Rob. I probably haven't driven with the top up and windows open except at lower speeds since I picked my Z4 up a couple weeks ago.

I just finished watching some product promos for anti-buffeting fixes for Supras, and it does look like the attachment point for the mirror to the door has a different shape on the Z4 than the GR Supra.

I'm going to experiment with something low-cost and low-observable first to see if it makes a noticeable improvement before I commit to spending real money on anything else. AWE has a GR Supra diffuser that's fairly small and looks like it might also work on the ZR, but it's $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
Top closed, windows down creates a lot of wind buffeting noise which is the same issue as the Supra. If you disturb the airflow between the A pillar and mirror with your hand while driving, it eliminates the noise.

I believe the mirrors are different so the caps won't fit. I remember bringing this issue up last year or the year before. I don't know if anyone ever made a set for the Z4 either, but I'd be inclined to buy them if they were available.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 06:44 PM   #13
masaville88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 G29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceForRent View Post
Had a test drive of a M40 yesterday and the wind noise/turbulence was pretty annoying with the top down. Currently I have an M240 and it's extremely quiet with the top down. I've looked and I see no comments on the board about wind noise and I think I even remember someone saying the Z4 was very quiet as well, so not sure what's up?
The test drive was on a just off the truck car, so perhaps they didn't prep it completely? The dealer and I looked at everything in the cab to see if there was something blocking the wind flow, but we didn't see anything obvious.

So, compared to an M240, what is the wind noise of the Z4 like?

I'm going to go back and give it another try once it's been fully prepped, as I do like everything else about the car.

Thanks
That's odd because it's fairly quiet. It's actually quieter with the windows up than it is to have a coupe with the windows down. Most of the noise is from other vehicles, like tire noise. I've had it on the highway at 90mph regularly and it's very reasonable. You did have the wind deflector installed didn't you? That would make a huge difference from what I've read.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 10:59 PM   #14
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaville88 View Post
That's odd because it's fairly quiet. It's actually quieter with the windows up than it is to have a coupe with the windows down. Most of the noise is from other vehicles, like tire noise. I've had it on the highway at 90mph regularly and it's very reasonable. You did have the wind deflector installed didn't you? That would make a huge difference from what I've read.
Try highway speed with the top closed and driver side window down. The buffeting is quite noticeable and hard on the ear.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 06:58 AM   #15
Living Dead
Zed Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
I had a 2017 M240 and I do agree, the M240 had somewhat less wind noise with the windows down and the deflector in place than the Z4M40, top down and windows up the Z4 is quieter and less buffeting. Engine sound is much better in the Z4 in all modes, the stereo in the M240 was better. I've also had an E85 and E89 and the G29 is about the same as them but the overall ride and comfort is much better than any of the others including the M240 and is by far the best performer of the bunch however I believe the E89 was the best looking.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 08:58 AM   #16
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
I had a 2017 M240 and I do agree, the M240 had somewhat less wind noise with the windows down and the deflector in place than the Z4M40, top down and windows up the Z4 is quieter and less buffeting. Engine sound is much better in the Z4 in all modes, the stereo in the M240 was better. I've also had an E85 and E89 and the G29 is about the same as them but the overall ride and comfort is much better than any of the others including the M240 and is by far the best performer of the bunch however I believe the E89 was the best looking.
Does your Z4 have a HK sound system?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 09:00 AM   #17
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Where I live it is quite windy, so I often have to have the windows up any time i'm over 50 mph. However, haven't noticed that this is any worse than other convertibles that I've driven. Wind deflector is absolutely necessary!
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2022, 09:05 AM   #18
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I removed my wind deflector as doing definitely improves my nighttime rear view.

When on a highway with my wife I roll up the windows. If it is a really long daytime trip I will also attach the wind deflector to appease her. Otherwise if I am alone it is windows down and blasting rock n' roll all of the time!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 09:48 AM   #19
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
I removed my wind deflector as doing definitely improves my nighttime rear view.

When on a highway with my wife I roll up the windows. If it is a really long daytime trip I will also attach the wind deflector to appease her. Otherwise if I am alone it is windows down and blasting rock n' roll all of the time!
Yeah one thing I don't like about the wind deflector is inability to see at night, but I roll with the top down all the time, so ... need it there. :P I do wish that I could just get a glass one, but some of them i've seen are 200-300 bucks for a small piece of glass. Ridiculous...
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2022, 09:52 AM   #20
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Quote:

Yeah one thing I don't like about the wind deflector is inability to see at night, but I roll with the top down all the time, so ... need it there. :P I do wish that I could just get a glass one, but some of them i've seen are 200-300 bucks for a small piece of glass. Ridiculous...
The GM at my dealership loves to drive the Z4 and he was the one that suggested I remove the wind deflector for that reason. Not only does it improve the night vision but it also gives the car a cleaner look when the top is down.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 11:06 AM   #21
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The GM at my dealership loves to drive the Z4 and he was the one that suggested I remove the wind deflector for that reason. Not only does it improve the night vision but it also gives the car a cleaner look when the top is down.
For sure, but it allows too much wind back into the cabin too. Vision and cosmetics are great, but I can't justify the wind coming back in (even with windows up). Especially since I drive mostly highway.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 09:47 AM   #22
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
For sure, but it allows too much wind back into the cabin too. Vision and cosmetics are great, but I can't justify the wind coming back in (even with windows up). Especially since I drive mostly highway.
I have been driving convertibles since 1994 and have never used the wind deflector which came with each car. I love the sensation of the wind blowing in my hair while driving at high speeds.
Appreciate 1
Horseman3959.50