F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > EUROPE (Continental) > Anyone imported a BMW from the US to Europe?
proTUNING Freaks

06-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
fazalmajid
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Anyone imported a BMW from the US to Europe?

I am moving to Europe and am thinking of shipping my 2013 335i (37k miles) to Europe, rather than taking the paltry buy-back offers from Carmax et al. It sounds like costs are in the $5000-6000 range for administrative fees and bringing it to EU standards like the rear fog lights, mirrors, reprogramming to kilometers and other miscellanea.

Has anyone here done this, and would care to share the experience? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 05:40 AM   #2
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

We have enough 3 series bimmers over here, no thanks

Seriously: You have to calculate the shipping, import tax (if you stay longer than one year with your car into the referring country) and the following modifications:
Rear lights from red to red w/yellow turn glasses
Headlights for Europe with e* marking
Code in rear fog lite, this goes almost together with a headlight switch change if you haven't this already installed
Relabeling the speeding scale (no matter with mp/h and km/h as long as the metric scale is listed)
In Germany you have to present your car after all to the TÜV organisation for a §21 inspection. This is necessary to get the correct papers for the insurance and number plates.
Front bumper numberplate holder, rear numberplate holder for european numberplate sizes.
€dit: Forgot to mention the deletion of the side reflectors from the front fenders

Additionally: Reload NAVI database to EUROPE NEXT or whatsover your current version may be, Recoding TMC to ECE if you haven't RTTi, the radio tune frequency steps have to recode also to receive the FM transmissions here, SOS Emergency won't work any longer caused by different signals into the SIM-card carrier, a box change isn't recommended from my side.

So far for the first steps.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox

Last edited by Dang3r; 06-14-2019 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
F30Andy1748.50
      07-16-2019, 01:52 AM   #3
bsvif@ya.ru
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Additionally: Reload NAVI database to EUROPE NEXT or whatsover your current version may be, Recoding TMC to ECE if you haven't RTTi, the radio tune frequency steps have to recode also to receive the FM transmissions here
this step is simple, but SOS Emergency box change and programming cost around $500!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #4
Ryan-Smith
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:26 PM   #5
waniamay
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

Get the rate in the Market You will be get more ideas which is the best way to get more money. Same as we are sharing all the information for our fans who are looking for lottery sambad game and Nagaland state lottery results.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
PeReZ
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

You won't believe how many BMWs are imported from US and Canada to Europe.
There are many companies that offer this kind of mediation. It's slightly cheaper than 5000-6000$. I can provide you with coordinates of the company that I used for my F30 importation from USA to Europe, just PM if you still need.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 12:34 AM   #7
shrutib
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by waniamay View Post
Get the rate in the Market You will be get more ideas which is the best way to get more money. Same as we are sharing all the information for our fans who are looking for lottery sambad game and kerala lottery results.
Now the department of this lottery has around 500 employees under its Executive committee located at Vikas Bhavan
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 01:35 AM   #8
SwaledaleDubz
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320D Lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
We have enough 3 series bimmers over here, no thanks

Seriously: You have to calculate the shipping, import tax (if you stay longer than one year with your car into the referring country) and the following modifications:
Rear lights from red to red w/yellow turn glasses
Headlights for Europe with e* marking
Code in rear fog lite, this goes almost together with a headlight switch change if you haven't this already installed
Relabeling the speeding scale (no matter with mp/h and km/h as long as the metric scale is listed)
In Germany you have to present your car after all to the TÜV organisation for a §21 inspection. This is necessary to get the correct papers for the insurance and number plates.
Front bumper numberplate holder, rear numberplate holder for european numberplate sizes.
€dit: Forgot to mention the deletion of the side reflectors from the front fenders

Additionally: Reload NAVI database to EUROPE NEXT or whatsover your current version may be, Recoding TMC to ECE if you haven't RTTi, the radio tune frequency steps have to recode also to receive the FM transmissions here, SOS Emergency won't work any longer caused by different signals into the SIM-card carrier, a box change isn't recommended from my side.

So far for the first steps.
In Germany you dont have to take the TUV if your in the army/airforce you can just opt for the military test.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 04:17 AM   #9
Wired435
United_States
Rep
Drives: X435i Convertible

This is a bit late but just in case someone else is searching for this info, I just imported my BMW 435i Cabrio Xdrive into the Netherlands as part of my household. (October 2020).

So what did I learn?
Adjustments are minimal and can mostly be done by software like activating the rear foglight. They are there just not activated.
The rear RED turn signals also did not have to be changed.
I updated the navigation with a map from Gerry on this forum.
I also changed the tuning of the radio so it could receive all the European standard radio stations.

I used a car import in Rotterdam (SCLrotterdam) They handled everything from shipping to customs to getting numberplates. They do this for all sorts of US cars for people all over Europe. Apparently importing it into the EUro zone via The Netherlands is the cheapest option. I paid about 2000 Euro for the complete process from shipping to driving it out of their storage.
I was on assignment in the US for almost 2 years. I, therefore, did not have to pay import or any other taxes on the car. Lucky me

Points of attention:
I am currently looking for a company to update my whole car to Euro-spec software. The official dealer will not do this but he hinted that others might be able to do this.

You can switch to KM from miles in the menu but some items will still be in miles like the speed warning setting. Also, the analog speedo does not change either. duh.

There is no internet connection. I assume this has to do with the installed sim (esim?) I am looking into this.

I used bimmercode for all the changes I made and it worked perfectly.

So that is my experience and so far it has been easy and I am really enjoying driving in Europe almost pothole-free roads. New York state roads were a nightmare. I once bend to rims on a pothole. Something that has never happened to me in 40 years.

If anyone has some more tips to share on making adjustments or has any questions I can help with, please feel free to contact me.
Appreciate 1
F30Andy1748.50
      12-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #10
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Thats right, you have to find someone with the european software and the dealer wont help.
At this point obey the following: After changing all settings and codings are gone and have to be recoded.
If you have a satellite radio it wont work here, I hadnt get it to work. Same as SOS function and telephone options, caused by the installed sim box. A change isnt quite cheap but when you consider not to go back to the US, it may worth it.
A final word to your headlights and taillights: ATM the LCI bimmers have the red ones rear stock installed and realize the yellow turn signal by a colored bulb, but: They are labeled with a e*-number which is essential into some countries to get the technical inspection done. In Germany you wouldnt pass this with the missing numbers. I have no idea how the dutch would treat this, but good luck.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 09:11 PM   #11
Boiler340
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Jumping in on this as I'll be moving to Germany this summer. Debating on if I want to ship a 2017 340i, or, sell stateside and get something there.

Seeing the amount of work required isn't too daunting, and will have to check in as I get closer to the date with those of you experienced in this process.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 03:50 PM   #12
MSG
Registered
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i F30

Have you found I guy who helped you out programming the car from US to Dutch? I am looking for the same solution. Also curious whether it is possible to have connected drive working (mine is a f30 335i from 2012).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired435 View Post
This is a bit late but just in case someone else is searching for this info, I just imported my BMW 435i Cabrio Xdrive into the Netherlands as part of my household. (October 2020).

So what did I learn?
Adjustments are minimal and can mostly be done by software like activating the rear foglight. They are there just not activated.
I also changed the tuning of the radio so it could receive all the European standard radio stations.

I used a car import in Rotterdam (SCLrotterdam) They handled everything from shipping to customs to getting numberplates. They do this for all sorts of US cars for people all over Europe. Apparently importing it into the EUro zone via The Netherlands is the cheapest option. I paid about 2000 Euro for the complete process from shipping to driving it out of their storage.
I was on assignment in the US for almost 2 years. I, therefore, did not have to pay import or any other taxes on the car. Lucky me

Points of attention:
I am currently looking for a company to update my whole car to Euro-spec software. The official dealer will not do this but he hinted that others might be able to do this.

You can switch to KM from miles in the menu but some items will still be in miles like the speed warning setting. Also, the analog speedo does not change either. duh.

There is no internet connection. I assume this has to do with the installed sim (esim?) I am looking into this.

So that is my experience and so far it has been easy and I am really enjoying driving in Europe almost pothole-free roads. New York state roads were a nightmare. I once bend to rims on a pothole. Something that has never happened to me in 40 years.

If anyone has some more tips to share on making adjustments or has any questions I can help with, please feel free to contact me.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 09:53 AM   #13
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Have you found I guy who helped you out programming the car from US to Dutch? I am looking for the same solution. Also curious whether it is possible to have connected drive working (mine is a f30 335i from 2012).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired435 View Post

So what did I learn?

Points of attention:

Connected drive will not work in Europe on a US spec BMW. According to BMW it requires a hardware change that is quite pricey. I have the message from BMW somewhere. As most have stated, most conversions can be made with BimmerCode. Also, European NAV maps can be sourced from a guy on f30post.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 09:57 AM   #14
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Anyone running a no drill or tow hook license plate holder with the euro front plate and PDC? I have a new MSport bumper on and don't want to drill any holes. I've purchased 2 different ones hoping I'll like one. I've bought the US Millworks plate holder with quick release and a different kit from Turner Motorsports. The list from Turner is the carbonio kit.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 07:56 AM   #15
KattyRay
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Hi
I use self-adhesive license plate holder.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 03:39 AM   #16
Beatrice
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport Wagon

POC for NATO Members in Belgium

Adding myself as a reference for anyone importing from the US to Belgium as a member of NATO (I benefited from several exceptions granted to people assigned to NATO)

Obviously your experience will be different if you're not working for NATO or you're going to another country in Europe; I've heard the TUV is difficult. But maybe not for a German-born car?

The government shipped my BMW but we paid to ship my wife's Subaru Impreza STi; about $1400 but I could have saved $500 of that if I had driven the car to the port myself. Port fees in Belgium only amounted to about $200

Only mod I had to do was activating the rear fogs; you can find the instructions on here and on YouTube. No parts needed; you just have to modify the blank "button" next to your headlight rotary switch and do a little "advanced" programming. (Advanced because I had to go into the advanced tab on BimmerCode and translate some German )

CT was easy, but you will have to provide your date of first registration. Wish I had known in advance; I made mine up and they took it but I hate being sloppy with that kind of stuff.

If you are importing a "second car" (not the one the government pays for) you will need a NATO Form 302. That can be a pain in the butt; PM me if you need help.

Overall a very easy process and worth the money because I'm very happy with my car and I intend to drive it until the wheels fall off. Same with the wife's Subaru.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 06:50 AM   #17
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

Just curious, why do people go thru this? Even after all fees, is it cheaper to import than buy locally in EU?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 06:54 AM   #18
Tommo3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F31 318d

The EU states can be very different on vehicle importation. For example, in France all number plates, front and rear, must be rivetted to the vehicle, no screws or stick on plates. You will also need a European Certificate of Conformity to impost to France which can be very expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 07:58 PM   #19
LRW70
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
Just curious, why do people go thru this? Even after all fees, is it cheaper to import than buy locally in EU?
I am in the process of matriculation (what they call it in Portugal) of my 2016 US 340i in Portugal, cars here are 20% more than anywhere else in the EU so it made sense to bring my paid for car with me. Changing the tail lights and a few programming changes is way cheaper than purchasing a car here. What I would love to have is EU maps for my navigation, if anyone can assistance me with that I would be extremely happy!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 06:33 PM   #20
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRW70 View Post
I am in the process of matriculation (what they call it in Portugal) of my 2016 US 340i in Portugal, cars here are 20% more than anywhere else in the EU so it made sense to bring my paid for car with me. Changing the tail lights and a few programming changes is way cheaper than purchasing a car here. What I would love to have is EU maps for my navigation, if anyone can assistance me with that I would be extremely happy!
Just have coders change nbt evo region for you. Should be about $100? Or maybe even less. Can be done remotely.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 12:21 PM   #21
LRW70
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
Just have coders change nbt evo region for you. Should be about $100? Or maybe even less. Can be done remotely.
Thanks for the info, found a guy, now I have maps for Europe!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 08:54 AM   #22
emblance
Rep
Drives: BMW 330xd

It is cheaper to import from USA to Europe in some countries. Give me a PM if you want to know more in detail.
Appreciate 0