F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Clutch Engagement Shudder with 340
Extreme Powerhouse

06-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #1
mission21
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive

Clutch Engagement Shudder with 340

Hi all,

I just picked up a CPO'd 16 340xi.

I've tried searching the forums, but the issue is somewhat difficult to describe. When I'm taking off from a stop and shifting from first to second I can hear/feel almost movement or a shudder when engaging the clutch.

If I recall I remember seeing this on other cars in the past and I believe solid mounts or bushings we're recommended but I'm not sure if this is common for this platform.

I wanted to see if anyone else had any experience with this before I brought her into a shop.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
eksigned
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mission21 View Post
Hi all,

I just picked up a CPO'd 16 340xi.

I've tried searching the forums, but the issue is somewhat difficult to describe. When I'm taking off from a stop and shifting from first to second I can hear/feel almost movement or a shudder when engaging the clutch.

If I recall I remember seeing this on other cars in the past and I believe solid mounts or bushings we're recommended but I'm not sure if this is common for this platform.

I wanted to see if anyone else had any experience with this before I brought her into a shop.
I'm not a 6MT owner, nor have I ever owned a manual BMW before...but from previous experience, you'd know if there was a thread loose or broken. It's not a warped flywheel that you're feeling right? The odd bit is the shudder that you're feeling between shifts. I think you may be onto the right track with the bushings. I always thought that it was best to swap all mounts throughout the drivetrain if doing bushings for the transmission though...you'll ultimately get more feedback and noise from polyurethane bushings, and definitely more NVH from solid bushings. Try an OEM swap?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 08:02 PM   #3
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Clutch was abused? Excessive slipping of the clutch will glaze it causing shudders at light engagement.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 05:17 AM   #4
azzetz4life
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i 340i

I feel what you described in my18; has 6k miles soooo let's see if anyone else chimes in

literally early tonight i was start stopping and it won't do it 2-3 but it does N-1 & 1-2

If i drive aggressive 1-2 won't do it; at least i don't notice
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
Gospeedracer
Private
Rep
Drives: Estoril 435i M-Sport

The clutch delay valve on the f series manual cars is a literal drag. It caused these shutter feelings. It was the first mod I did to my 435. By deleting it or enlarging the hole of the slave cylinder system it provides a much closer relationship with the clutch. No more automatic slipping which I believe is the route of the shutter feeling in most of these situations I hear with Manual F cars. If you plan on driving the car aggressively or want the feel of older manuals a CDV delete is must do mod.
Appreciate 2
      06-19-2019, 12:26 AM   #6
mission21
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive

For those who are experiencing a similar issue, I believe it to be related to the CDV.

The below threads seem to explain exactly what I'm describing along with how to resolve:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1486773

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1625114
Appreciate 0