BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum How many of you are satisfied with the Driving Assistance Systems?

06-03-2019, 01:11 AM   #1
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

How many of you are satisfied with the Driving Assistance Systems?

As the title says, I am talking about the Paced follow cruise with steering (auto lane keeping) when driving on a Freeway (including in the traffic jam situations).

Mine has done sudden out of lane steering intervention (even with the "steering intervention" set to mild or late). This self steering drag (taking you out of lane) has been discussed in many threads here. Some have expressed serious safety concerns over it.

It happens in Traffic Jams as well on the highways and also made funny things like almost banging into the car (even in less than 10mph speeds) in front with a warning on the dash for you to hit the brake.

I have already taken it for calibration to the dealer twice but there are no changes. The software is 3/2019.36 on it.

I know it's just a drive assist and that the driver has to be alert all the times but I have now seen and heard that Benz's Assistance System is pretty smarter than BMW.

Anyone experienced the same and not trusting these functions and keeping these features off all the times? Looks like this tech needs more time to get mature. One had better avoided and not paid for them when buying.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 02:13 AM   #2
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

I find the steering assist quite firm compared to Chrysler - to me it seems late as well which seems like it could contribute to the abrupt feel. I know some hate these features and bmw takes some getting used to coming from Chrysler, but would sell the car if I needed to turn it off. I’m only a couple weeks in and I hope it doesn’t come to that. So far, it’s generally not an issue, but if it’s your 1st steering assist car I could see how it’s unnerving. I probably prefer the chrysler’s steering so far,
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 06:56 AM   #3
azny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7; 2020 BMW X5

I’ve been trying out the adaptive cruise with steering. I would say it’s a beta version. Other than what’s described above, a couple of peeves from me:

1. It’s unable to map the curvature of the road - so driving along a bend it keeps ‘bouncing’ between the left and right lane markings.

2. It can’t ‘see’ particularly far. So whereas you’d take the foot off the gas if you can see cars stopped at a red light ahead, it keeps going full throttle (even accelerating if going uphill etc.) until the last few hundred feet or so - making for a sharp stop

3. If a car is turning off the road in front off you, it keeps fixated on that car (and your distance to that car), even after your path is clear and you can stop braking/start accelerating. This is slow enough for cars behind you to start honking.

4. I like that after a full stop, it forces you to press the accelerator to get going - I like the graphic that shows the car in front departing.

Separately on auto parking, it seems to rely on presence of other parked cars to ID a spot. I was trying it out in an empty part of a Home Depot lot and it didn’t want to recognize any spots until I got closer to the more populated section of the lot. I guess you wouldn’t need help parking help if there aren’t other cars there.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Turn off the feature that tries to pull you back into the lane. It does more harm than good and all i really value is the warning (vibration through wheel) when I’m going over a line. Benz system similar in my experience, turned that off too.
Not sure when these systems will read the road 100% accurately, know when you are avoiding a road hazard etc.

As for distance control cruise it’s cool. None of em are perfect. I’m happy with it
Appreciate 0