F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Negative side effects of MPPSK?
GetBMWParts

05-31-2019, 06:14 PM   #1
maatt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '18 340i MPPSK

Negative side effects of MPPSK?

Howdy!

I recently got a 2018 340i (1200 miles on clock) now has 4200 miles.
got fitment of the MPPSK for £1595 (stainless steel tips).

drove out the dealership ofcourse I had to give it a test, (pap pap pap pap), huge smile on my face all the way home.
I drove it a few days in Comfort mode, letting it all settle in etc,

did the "party trick" again tonight a few times, there was a small smell of burnt oil, Is this normal?

leads to my main question, what are the negative side effects either from the constant burbling and/or gunshots (like town driving for example where you're constantly changing gears)?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

check around the engine bay to see if there is any oil.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 08:00 PM   #3
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

One issue is that some people report their gas mileage drops off a cliff. That is because they drive in sport mode reving the engine because its so much fun. A guy I talked to at a dealership who has a MPPK car told me it leads him to drive like a hooligan because he loves reving out the engine so much. It does sound wonderful. That aside any increase in turbo pressure will demand more from the engine and turbo more. Also I wonder how long the flaps in the mufflers last. Might be an issue for the next owner of the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 08:23 PM   #4
maatt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '18 340i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ROXS View Post
check around the engine bay to see if there is any oil.
That's gonna be my first thing in the morning as well as checking the driveway for any oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinebuilder View Post
One issue is that some people report their gas mileage drops off a cliff. That is because they drive in sport mode reving the engine because its so much fun. A guy I talked to at a dealership who has a MPPK car told me it leads him to drive like a hooligan because he loves reving out the engine so much. It does sound wonderful. That aside any increase in turbo pressure will demand more from the engine and turbo more. Also I wonder how long the flaps in the mufflers last. Might be an issue for the next owner of the car.
Have noticed a drop in MPG but it can't be any worse than the Mustang i had previously..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 08:57 PM   #5
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maatt View Post
Howdy!

I recently got a 2018 340i (1200 miles on clock) now has 4200 miles.
got fitment of the MPPSK for £1595 (stainless steel tips).

drove out the dealership ofcourse I had to give it a test, (pap pap pap pap), huge smile on my face all the way home.
I drove it a few days in Comfort mode, letting it all settle in etc,

did the "party trick" again tonight a few times, there was a small smell of burnt oil, Is this normal?

leads to my main question, what are the negative side effects either from the constant burbling and/or gunshots (like town driving for example where you're constantly changing gears)?
What causes the loud bangs/pops and burbles is unburnt fuel igniting in your exhaust. Long-term this probably isn't good for your cat or seals, but that's not BMW's concern.

However, I've also heard that the pops/bangs aren't bad as long as your cat is fully warmed up, and it's not super long (like those annoying YouTube videos).

I like my turned down a bit from stock. Especially since my high-flow DP wasn't cheap.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 09:09 PM   #6
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

My MPPSK was port installed, but it never seemed to work right. After more than a year, I found a TSB on the forum explaining how to "teach" the valves their correct position and the dealer did it under warranty.

Now I think I've sprained my face by smiling so much.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2019, 01:07 AM   #7
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Not sure I consider this a negative but I had my MPPSK Dealer installed eight months after I bought the car and I remember how much I used to enjoy listening to the radio, now I just listen to the exhaust.
      06-01-2019, 05:03 AM   #8
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
Not sure I consider this a negative but I had my MPPSK Dealer installed eight months after I bought the car and I remember how much I used to enjoy listening to the radio, now I just listen to the exhaust.
You can cancel satellite radio and save some money for the additional gas you're burning.
Appreciate 1
Beek707.00
      06-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #9
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
Ditto

As for topic the only issue was some rattling near the passager firewall it was due to an unsecure bolt.
Appreciate 1
Beek707.00
      06-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #10
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
What causes the loud bangs/pops and burbles is unburnt fuel igniting in your exhaust. Long-term this probably isn't good for your cat or seals, but that's not BMW's concern.

However, I've also heard that the pops/bangs aren't bad as long as your cat is fully warmed up, and it's not super long (like those annoying YouTube videos).

I like my turned down a bit from stock. Especially since my high-flow DP wasn't cheap.
How do you turn down the pops/bangs from the stock level?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #11
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthedark View Post
Quote:

How do you turn down the pops/bangs from the stock level?
I'm running BM3, so I can adjust my burbles via a custom setting, or pick from several pre-defined ones.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #12
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Quote:
I'm running BM3, so I can adjust my burbles via a custom setting, or pick from several pre-defined ones.
OK for some reason I assumed it only went UP from stock and there was nothing lower .... trying to decide between MHD and BM3 (both then combined with XHP).
Appreciate 0