E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY for new e92 ssk?

08-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
Mooreski
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LMB '09 E90 M3

DIY for new e92 ssk?

Has anyone installed the new SSK for the e92? I just ordered one and it has a 'shift arm' that the other didn't. Where does this go? Will I be able to figure it out once I get the parts?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
vadim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Can you post pictures?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Mooreski
Lieutenant
Rep

Will do, I'm not installing it until next weekend (23rd-ish). I'll put them up then.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
Mooreski
Lieutenant
Rep

Bad news..... this DIY was beyond my abilities. I went home this weekend to do it at my parent's place since my Dad has a much nicer garage than me. Turns out it wasn't nice enough. The ramps we were using only got the car up far enough for me to barely slide under. Not far enough to get in there and get this done. I think you need to pull the exhaust down to pull the heat shield back to get enough room to work up at the front of the shift arm. We just didn't have those capabilities. I think it would be pretty easy with a lift so you had plenty of room to poke around and such. Time to call the local dealer and see how much they want!$!$!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 12:02 AM   #5
mikeokimster
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 jerez m3

E92 328i coupe SSK successfully installed

Hey guys I have finally installed the E92 328i SSK. It took way longer than it should have. 3.5 hours to be exact. The hardest part was getting the stock bushing off. It would not rotate clockwise beyond 45 degrees, so we had to hack at it. That and the trip to walmart to buy a jack and stands took about 3 hours of that time.

This isn't really that bad of a install. It should only take at most .5 hrs. Be warned though. The E92 328i has a shorter lever thus you won't be able to remove/install the circlip from above the car. Once I detached the bushing, I lifted up and the linkage interfered thus only allowing the lever to move up about an inch. So the bushing still covered the hole in which it sat in. I read the other two DIY guides and they are all different depending on the model of your car.

It is very easy to spot the circlip from under the car. You just need to push up with fingers to pry off the stock clip and then slide off the linkage. For me I did not have to remove the plastic panel under the car, nor bend the heatshield. The circlip location is right above the driveshaft close to where it meets with the transmission. I had my friend shine a light down through the cracks of the shifter area and helped me pinpoint the circlip location.

I will show you guys some after pics.

Results:

The transmission feels way more direct. The "rubbery" shifter feeling is gone and is very precise. I was amazed how much lower the shifter height was with the performance knob and the SSK compared to stock. It almost feels like a s2000 transmission. The weighed knob feels so much better and heavier than the stock shifter.

I am very pleased.

Last edited by mikeokimster; 09-06-2008 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0