05-24-2019, 10:44 PM   #1
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M- 40i

Connected drive and key card. No go 😥

Connected drive and key card. No go.
Picked up a brand new X5 today at 3:30 and my dealer could not set up the Connected drive to the new $70,000 vehicle. Set it should be available later today but as of 8 PM when I talk to the 800-number they said the system was being upgraded. She indicated perhaps it might be available on Sunday. That is very disappointing.

The digital key card for the vehicle also was not available From the dealer. They had to order it and it might take up to a week to get it in. They seemed unfamiliar with how it worked. I found that very strange.

One other disappointment that I learned about was that my Apple iPhone which is the latest one cannot be used instead of the key. I learned that only an android is usable instead of a key. I guess I should’ve researched that better but that is disappointing to know that the vehicle has Apple airplay but it cannot be used instead of the key.
I have owned 2 other BMW’s. Both were 750 LI xDrive. I hope that I will be pleased long-term with the X5. Not quite the same vehicle as the 7 series but it was time for a change
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 08:42 PM   #2
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Service is still down. I was told yesterday software is very upgraded but the gal said it’s been several weeks since it worked
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i

Yea dealer could not activate my phone as digital key either because apparently BMW backend is going through major changes
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

(just subscribed and 1st post)

I got mine 1st week of May and since then I had no success enabling all functionalities of the app. I already tried most of the suggestions that I can find from the helpful contributors in this forum (switch profiles, boot iDrive, update apps, enabling privacy, etc.) but no luck so far.

On May 7th I was told the BMW server is down until the 19th. When the server was up (I think they said on the 17th) I had 1:1 with a local genius and setup everything from the start and failed. Two days ago he reset my ESA and had me come over again for another try. Still no luck and he finally gave up and planned on scheduling for service!

I also had countless calls with BMW genius and was finally told that they haven't been alerted with any further instructions on the issue. BMW genius told me to contact the dealer AND the dealer told me to contact BMW genius!

I found another thread from Jbowles3 that I want to try (see below), called up BMW connected drive twice and was told their system was down, intermittently, and that a lot of owners are having issues.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1575258

My frustrations to the roof level has subsided a bit and the best I could do now is to stay cool
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 03:14 PM   #5
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I spoke to BMW today and the lady on the 800 number indicated they have been down for several months. The dealer did not disclose it to me when he sold me the car he said it should be active later on Friday. Of course it was not. That is a disappointment that it seems they like to me at the dealership
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 10:20 PM   #6
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbmwguy View Post
I spoke to BMW today and the lady on the 800 number indicated they have been down for several months. The dealer did not disclose it to me when he sold me the car he said it should be active later on Friday. Of course it was not. That is a disappointment that it seems they like to me at the dealership
BMW is feeding you a line about the servers being down for months. Many, possibly most, people are not having problems with remote services. The ones that are having problems do not seem to be in any specific region or area of the country. More than likely it is just various accounts having issues, whether that is setup from the dealer end, BMW's end or AT&T's, who knows. It really doesn't matter since it is not working. Someone just needs to keep pressing them to work on it and just ask to escalate the issue should they give you the "server down" answer. Maybe it will get to someone who will track down the specific account. At the beginning of the year people were having problems and it had to do with bad phone numbers in the ConnectedDrive system and numbers not being in AT&T's system. Some people on here kept after them until things were fixed.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 12:05 AM   #7
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
(just subscribed and 1st post)

I got mine 1st week of May and since then I had no success enabling all functionalities of the app. I already tried most of the suggestions that I can find from the helpful contributors in this forum (switch profiles, boot iDrive, update apps, enabling privacy, etc.) but no luck so far.

On May 7th I was told the BMW server is down until the 19th. When the server was up (I think they said on the 17th) I had 1:1 with a local genius and setup everything from the start and failed. Two days ago he reset my ESA and had me come over again for another try. Still no luck and he finally gave up and planned on scheduling for service!

I also had countless calls with BMW genius and was finally told that they haven't been alerted with any further instructions on the issue. BMW genius told me to contact the dealer AND the dealer told me to contact BMW genius!

I found another thread from Jbowles3 that I want to try (see below), called up BMW connected drive twice and was told their system was down, intermittently, and that a lot of owners are having issues.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1575258

My frustrations to the roof level has subsided a bit and the best I could do now is to stay cool
The dealer genius and service scheduled me for service in early June to diagnose the issue, but I asked for *one last time* that they reset my ESA. Below sequence worked for me:

1. Delete car from the app and log out.

2. Delete all driver profile(s) in the car. I may had rebooted iDrive also, but couldn't recall.

3. Request for ESA to be sent (or reset) again. I had the dealer do this instead of BMW connected drive phone call. They wouldn't helped me. An email will be sent for the confirmation with the subject "Your registration with BMW ConnectedDrive"...

4. In the car create profile by logging in using the same email with ESA. Enable all services. Update apps, reboot iDrive and make sure all services are still enabled. Exit and lock the car.

5. Log back in to ConnectedDrive app. The car *must* be there already without manually adding it.

I then tested Horn and 3d view and both worked. After 3 weeks it finally worked and I, the customer, had to deal debugging this. I can't believe BMW doesn't have a clear documentation on how this is to be setup. BMW genius, assist and dealer are all at a lost.
      05-29-2019, 02:20 PM   #8
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Mine has worked off and on since delivery in February. BMWNA just keeps making excuses or they have a bunch of amateurs working as computer geeks. Pretty sad story for a company that prides themselves to be tech savvy. I'm disappointed to say the least.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 05:41 PM   #9
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

mine is still not working the dealer was surprised too and was going to get with BMW. I live 120 miles away from the dealer location.

Also Have not received my Digital key card as of today.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 06:39 PM   #10
sf2360
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G06-2021,718 GTS 4.0, Raptor

I picked mine up May 17 and everything has been working fine. The only issue I had was adding a second account
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 10:21 AM   #11
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbmwguy View Post
BMW is feeding you a line about the servers being down for months. Many, possibly most, people are not having problems with remote services. The ones that are having problems do not seem to be in any specific region or area of the country. More than likely it is just various accounts having issues, whether that is setup from the dealer end, BMW's end or AT&T's, who knows. It really doesn't matter since it is not working. Someone just needs to keep pressing them to work on it and just ask to escalate the issue should they give you the "server down" answer. Maybe it will get to someone who will track down the specific account. At the beginning of the year people were having problems and it had to do with bad phone numbers in the ConnectedDrive system and numbers not being in AT&T's system. Some people on here kept after them until things were fixed.
I'm with TurtleBoy on this. After mine work 3 days ago (after 3 weeks of debug) it continues to work flawlessly. I finally got a response from BMW CD (connected drive) that they noticed that I had several transactions that were successful and that they solved my ticket, compared to "system being down" old responses.

Check my post in this thread on deleting car in app, deleting profiles in the car and requesting for ESA to be sent, and see if that works.