E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Would a V3 beta map be a good...

Closed Thread

08-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Would a V3 beta map be a good...

Would a dyno for a V3 Beta map, thats not even out to the public which causes sustained boosts at 17psi during the higher rpms be a good comparison to a dyno of the JB3 thats will be introduced to the public soon....I am asking because I read a thread where dynos were shown using a Beta map that not out to the public showing sustained 17psi boost comparing it to the new JB3...Wouldn't a comparison of this nature prove that the V3 is inferior to JB3..
In my mind I think its not a fair comparison and the OP that made the thread had no business using a beta map that clearly shows some problems comparing it to the JB3...Why would the OP not show comparisons of the V3 and JB3 with a map that Vishnu has out already instead of the beta map which has problems?? I am puzzled on this and want to know if I am the only member here to think this way? In my mind I think both tunes are awesome and just want the best un-biased comparison of the tunes and no fanboy comparisons!!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

This is not a tuner vs tuner thread, but a opinion thread!!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:17 PM   #3
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Great point - By the way, 17psi can't be good for the engine/turbos
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:22 PM   #4
kentgbr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Would a dyno for a V3 Beta map, thats not even out to the public which causes sustained boosts at 17psi during the higher rpms be a good comparison to a dyno of the JB3 thats will be introduced to the public soon....I am asking because I read a thread where dynos were shown using a Beta map that not out to the public showing sustained 17psi boost comparing it to the new JB3...Wouldn't a comparison of this nature prove that the V3 is inferior to JB3..
In my mind I think its not a fair comparison and the OP that made the thread had no business using a beta map that clearly shows some problems comparing it to the JB3...Why would the OP not show comparisons of the V3 and JB3 with a map that Vishnu has out already instead of the beta map which has problems?? I am puzzled on this and want to know if I am the only member here to think this way? In my mind I think both tunes are awesome and just want the best un-biased comparison of the tunes and no fanboy comparisons!!

I believe the OP from the other thread you're discussing has made some great contributions to this board. Intentional or not, including a comparison with an early V3 map and citing excessive boost came across an attempt to cast doubt on the product as somehow problematic. He shouldn't be surprised that V3 users are going to challenge this assertion. I think the OP should have kept the thread about the Jb3 and not injected unneeded controversy making himself appear biased beyond the point of just preferring one tune over the other. I look forward to further comparisons of the released products.

Last edited by kentgbr; 08-07-2008 at 12:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:50 PM   #5
getInline
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 Coupe, c32 AMG

I think the point of the comparison is that there were some issues with the previous version v3 map which the "beta" maps are supposed to solve. I put quotes around beta because that's how it's author phrased it, meaning that they're only technically "beta" because they hadn't been through the usual battery of tests. Having said that these maps have been "beta" for 2 1/2 months with no word on when they will move out of that state. So, I supposed he could have used the previous version but given that the beta is supposed to improve on the closed loop boost control, the previous map may have shown even more significant spikes.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:52 PM   #6
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

I don't understand the hostility. I don't think the poster in question made even one negative comment about the Vishnu product, simply posted up his review, and posted up two dynos for comparison with the relevant facts (maximum boost). He even gave you an RPM by RPM breakdown of boost when asked.

He reviewed the product, and posted up dynos to show how the power curve compared to the Vishnu tune. Given many people consider the V3 to be the current "benchmark", I don't see the problem with using it as such.

I'd imagine dynos of the current V3 map vs the current beta JB3 map were not posted, because such a comparison was not available, so instead dynos comparing the best V3 run to the best JB3 run were posted. Seems logical, no?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 12:00 AM   #7
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

it would be all good if the "great contributor to this board" wasn't a BMS fanboy. The map for v3 was given to him to test something out and it was not appropriate for his cars mods. He then compares it to another tune that's diled in. That is a BS move. Also dont forget that if you overboost, v3 would produce less power them it is supposed to. Ask Mr.5 about that.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 12:18 AM   #8
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Take it easy on calling that poster a "fan boy". That's a moniker that fits 90% of the folks here, present company included.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 12:56 AM   #9
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Wasn't JB3 also considered BETA too? So it really is comparing apples to apples.

Also I didn't read any documentation for the V3 beta maps, but isn't the "safety" suppose to kick in at 16psi and go into valet mode? I believe Shiv explained once that if boost exceeds 16psi for more then 1 sec. this safety feature is engaged.
      08-07-2008, 01:53 AM   #10
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
There's a bit more to it than has been disclosed on this forum. I'll leave it at that unless the other party wants to open everything up to discussion. Full disclosure and all. I definitely learned my lesson.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 02:11 AM   #11
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
There's a bit more to it than has been disclosed on this forum. I'll leave it at that unless the other party wants to open everything up to discussion. Full disclosure and all. I definitely learned my lesson.

Shiv
      08-07-2008, 04:53 AM   #12
Tobias1980
Read the manual please, just do it before asking!
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F31 328i, F55 Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
Wasn't JB3 also considered BETA too? So it really is comparing apples to apples.

Also I didn't read any documentation for the V3 beta maps, but isn't the "safety" suppose to kick in at 16psi and go into valet mode? I believe Shiv explained once that if boost exceeds 16psi for more then 1 sec. this safety feature is engaged.
Is this correct? I have this happening with my V3 sometimes. My car suddenly goes back to stock. I see 16-17 PSI on my boost gauge sometimes. If I restart my car it goes back to full boost again.

My car runs like a dream with the V3 beta map!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 05:05 AM   #13
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna3 View Post
Take it easy on calling that poster a "fan boy". That's a moniker that fits 90% of the folks here, present company included.
I still admit to being a "fan man".
      08-07-2008, 07:31 AM   #14
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Hey guys I was hoping you would read between the lines but obviously I was sent a "special" map that was meant to help hit 400rw and promote what the V3 could do. That was the highest V3 dyno I ever did so I used that for the JB3 comparison.

When I dynod the "real" V3 map, with the downpipes, I made 345rw. I can use that map if you think its a better comparison. At the end of the day I'm just happy my car is running smoothly now but think both are great products.
      08-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #15
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

The only problem I had was the sustained comment. The is deceiving to many. I view sustained as continual not a momentary, about a second or less. Regardless, there is no reason for any anger IMO. It doesn't serve and purpose.

However, I wanted to see logs!!!

That said, the HP difference is understandable when there was a momentary climb to 17 PSI at the same point peak HP would have occured; timing would have been pulled to compensate for the higher boost.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 07:43 AM   #16
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Shiv
Thats true, there is a bit more to this situation but none of which applies to this dyno graph. I have disclosed all mods, boost psi seen at certain RPMs, and the fact that is was a BETA map. I would appreciate if you kept our private issues private.
      08-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #17
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
The only problem I had was the sustained comment. The is deceiving to many. I view sustained as continual not a momentary, about a second or less. Regardless, there is no reason for any anger IMO. It doesn't serve and purpose.

However, I wanted to see logs!!!

That said, the HP difference is understandable when there was a momentary climb to 17 PSI at the same point peak HP would have occured; timing would have been pulled to compensate for the higher boost.
Would it be better if I said sustained 15.5 and greater boost? Either way it is still not a good thing....
      08-07-2008, 07:52 AM   #18
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90AW335i View Post
Would it be better if I said sustained 15.5 and greater boost? Either way it is still not a good thing....
Yes it would.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 07:54 AM   #19
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Is it really worth this guys? Regardless of who started it, let's all agree the comparison is not fair and let people choose what suits their needs best. We are a BMW forum and we have got to stop these petty wars.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #20
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Shiv
Shiv I told u so!! You didn't want to believe me...Sorry you had to learn the hard way.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #21
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Is it really worth this guys? Regardless of who started it, let's all agree the comparison is not fair and let people choose what suits their needs best. We are a BMW forum and we have got to stop these petty wars.
This is not a war, but its a thread to ask if a comparison between the two tunes was FAIR!! some see the comparison not fair, but the OP thinks otherwise, which is very disturbing....We all want to tune our cars and have fun with them, but its really sad when certain OP wants to sabotage a certain tune just for the sake of personal gain...I personally think both Vishnu products and BMS is great tunes....Terry is one of the most likeable people sometimes and he is always offering to help....Shiv has his moments with customer service, but its not about that but the performance aspect of the tunes at hand....This is a BMW forum and your correct, so people posting here should be un-biased and help others, not shy away questions that are asked of the OP if it doesn't pertain to JB3....Remember he has tried all the tunes, well most of them so far, so if he claims he is unbiased, why be so harsh and rude and tell me to go my merry way when it comes to V3 questions....I am glad many OPs here agree with my view!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #22
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Terry is one of the most likeable people sometimes
Oh what a difference a year makes. I recall so many people saying just the opposite a year ago, I was not one of them.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread