LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Multiple NFC Key Cards

Have we discussed whether it is possible to have have more than 1 key card? I don't mean more than one per profile, I mean more than one per car, like a his and hers. If not, possible? Thoughts, experiences?
      05-23-2019, 09:44 PM   #2
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Have we discussed whether it is possible to have have more than 1 key card? I don't mean more than one per profile, I mean more than one per car, like a his and hers. If not, possible? Thoughts, experiences?
Yes - the NFC key card and a smartphone are technically both separate devices so I believe it is possible to have multiple NFC cards. Each Digital Key has to be activated and registered with the vehicle and a driver profile.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:52 PM   #3
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
Quote:
Yes - the NFC key card and a smartphone are technically both separate devices so I believe it is possible to have multiple NFC cards. Each Digital Key has to be activated and registered with the vehicle and a driver profile.
So the reason I asked here is because the dealer tells me (because they claim BMW is telling them) that no, multiple Key Cards are not supported. That limitation doesn't make much sense and a key card as a backup for both primary and the secondary driver (spouse) is by far the best option - small, easy to carry, doesn't confuse the car by multiple key fobs approaching car at same time and screwing up driver profiles, etc. So I wanted to get a wider poll of knowledge.
      05-23-2019, 09:55 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:55 PM   #5
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So the reason I asked here is because the dealer tells me (because they claim BMW is telling them) that no, multiple Key Cards are not supported. That limitation doesn't make much sense and a key card as a backup for both primary and the secondary driver (spouse) is by far the best option - small, easy to carry, doesn't confuse the car by multiple key fobs approaching car at same time and screwing up driver profiles, etc. So I wanted to get a wider poll of knowledge.
You may wish to politely tell the dealer to RTFM then
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #6
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's a good one, thank you! To be fair, the exact statement was "doesn't support more than one key card registered at a time" and that if lost, a replacement can be bought and registered, but not two actively registered with the card. So perhaps there is some ambiguity in play?
      05-23-2019, 10:01 PM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
That's a good one, thank you! To be fair, the exact statement was "doesn't support more than one key card registered at a time" and that if lost, a replacement can be bought and registered, but not two actively registered with the card. So perhaps there is some ambiguity in play?
There is no difference between a key card and a smartphone with a Digital Key.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:03 PM   #8
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Actually, that refers to "digital key" which I think is BMW's highly confusing terminology for the Android smartphone key facility, not Key Card.
      05-23-2019, 10:06 PM   #9
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Actually, that refers to "digital key" which I think is BMW's highly confusing terminology for the Android smartphone key facility, not Key Card.
It's from the section called "key card". Trust me a NFC chip is a NFC chip. The car has no idea if it's inside a smartphone or a credit card sized piece of plastic.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:21 PM   #10
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
It's from the section called "key card". Trust me a NFC chip is a NFC chip. The car has no idea if it's inside a smartphone or a credit card sized piece of plastic.
Well, that's not exactly true, there are multiple NFC implementations. If the smartphone uses host card emulation, I suppose they might be identical, but we don't know BMW's implementation and smartphone NFC is capable of much more functionality than a card, for example the application capability to assign access to another smartphone remotely, which is something BMW is explicitly advertising.

But nonetheless, I've sent a note to the dealer with your screen cap to see what their response will be.

The best proof would be someone actually confirming two key cards registered and both operating on their car.
      05-23-2019, 10:36 PM   #11
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

I guess he could be wrong but he mentions ordering a second one.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1571295

Edit: Appears he was wrong. One member ordered two for his car and the order couldn't be fulfilled.

"mbarrett635 - you were correct. CA just reached out to me and said they can only enable one keycard at a time... which is why they were having trouble with my order. Manual seems to contradict this but is unclear at the same time."

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=40
Attached Images

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 05-23-2019 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 12:45 AM   #12
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Garage List
You can only activate one key card. Also a Digital Key is not the same as a Key Card. Digital Keys refers to using your phone as an NFC card.

I have two cars with key cards, and I was hoping I could activate both cards on both cars so that I would only have to carry on card that works on both cars. But it is not possible.

Each car comes with one card specifically assigned to that car and cannot be changed or removed. You can only activate it or deactivate it.

So no, you can only have one card per car. Also the car is very good at detecting who is in the driver's seat and who turns the engine on if each one of you has their key on them. Even if you get into the car and your wife's profile is active, as soon as you start the car, it will change to your profile automatically.
Appreciate 2
TurtleBoy13146.50
      05-24-2019, 10:47 PM   #13
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M- 40i

Picked up my new X5 today and the dealer did not have the digital key card. Had to order it. Strange that they did not know this ahead of time.

Also disappointed to learn that my Apple iPhone is not compatible to use in place of a key. I guess I should’ve researched this item better before purchasing.

evidently only an android phone can be used in place of the Key according to the dealer. That is disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 11:01 PM   #14
iknowdjz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2020

I ordered a second key card today and when I activated it, it deactivated the first one with no way to reactivate it. Funny when I ordered the second one the dealer asked if I already had one when the car was delivered, which I confirmed and specifically said I wanted a second one for my wife. They were quick to take my money and likely slow to refund. 🤦🏻*♂️

Quote:
Originally Posted by 902 View Post
You can only activate one key card. Also a Digital Key is not the same as a Key Card. Digital Keys refers to using your phone as an NFC card.

I have two cars with key cards, and I was hoping I could activate both cards on both cars so that I would only have to carry on card that works on both cars. But it is not possible.

Each car comes with one card specifically assigned to that car and cannot be changed or removed. You can only activate it or deactivate it.

So no, you can only have one card per car. Also the car is very good at detecting who is in the driver's seat and who turns the engine on if each one of you has their key on them. Even if you get into the car and your wife's profile is active, as soon as you start the car, it will change to your profile automatically.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      11-04-2020, 03:39 PM   #15
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowdjz View Post
I ordered a second key card today and when I activated it, it deactivated the first one with no way to reactivate it. Funny when I ordered the second one the dealer asked if I already had one when the car was delivered, which I confirmed and specifically said I wanted a second one for my wife. They were quick to take my money and likely slow to refund. 🤦🏻*♂️

Quote:
Originally Posted by 902 View Post

I didn't see this response to my original post until now. I can also confirm the single key card at a time restriction. My dealer did order me a second card and my result was same as yours: when I activated the second card, the first card was deactivated, resulting in only one key card pairable to the car at a time. Doesn't make any technical or feature sense to me, but it is what it is.
      11-05-2020, 08:30 PM   #16
BHCJJS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '21 G05 x40i M Sport, '04 E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbmwguy View Post
Picked up my new X5 today and the dealer did not have the digital key card. Had to order it. Strange that they did not know this ahead of time.

Also disappointed to learn that my Apple iPhone is not compatible to use in place of a key. I guess I should’ve researched this item better before purchasing.

evidently only an android phone can be used in place of the Key according to the dealer. That is disappointing.
I know this post is a bit old, but the digital key on iPhone works now. Wife uses it on her iPhone 11 Pro when she can't find her key (which is about 90 percent of the time).
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 06:46 PM   #17
schova
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 LCI Dravit / Cognac

Garage List
2023 BMW X7 40i  [9.00]
Searching all over the internet for this and this old thread popped up.

I have a 2023 LCI X7 and I bought a spare key card to have one for myself and one for the wife. It turns out its still not allowing two keys. Only one key card can be paired at a time. One will pair and the other one will not work and there is no way to add another.

Has anyone found a solution or am I doing something wrong and people are able to add two key cards?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 06:49 PM   #18
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schova View Post
Searching all over the internet for this and this old thread popped up.

I have a 2023 LCI X7 and I bought a spare key card to have one for myself and one for the wife. It turns out its still not allowing two keys. Only one key card can be paired at a time. One will pair and the other one will not work and there is no way to add another.

Has anyone found a solution or am I doing something wrong and people are able to add two key cards?
Only one key card is supported.
      01-25-2023, 08:55 PM   #19
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If you have a compatible phone, it can be used as a key once activated.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 10:28 AM   #20
OfficiallyBroke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22

Does anyone know if when replacing a lost key card, there is any programming required by the dealer for the new card to tie it to the car? Or would one follow the typical steps to activate the card and that’s the only step required to tie it to the VIN?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 11:09 AM   #21
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficiallyBroke View Post
Does anyone know if when replacing a lost key card, there is any programming required by the dealer for the new card to tie it to the car? Or would one follow the typical steps to activate the card and that’s the only step required to tie it to the VIN?
It’s been a while, but IIRC my old test of a replacement card, dealer has to order a replacement card specifically for your VIN and that’s the extent of “pre-activation”. The effect is that the card is tied to your car regardless of whether you enrolled it or not and you won’t be able to enroll that card in another car.
      04-06-2023, 11:12 AM   #22
OfficiallyBroke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22

Quote:
It’s been a while, but IIRC my old test of a replacement card, dealer has to order a replacement card specifically for your VIN and that’s the extent of “pre-activation”. The effect is that the card is tied to your car regardless of whether you enrolled it or not and you won’t be able to enroll that card in another car.
Okay but as far as you can recall, there’s no programming done once the card arrives at the dealer? I was just quoted $235 for “programming” and I’m wondering if that’s them plopping the new card on the pad in the car and clicking “activate” in iDrive.

They’d certainly be living up to the stealership name if that were the case.
Appreciate 0