F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Driving to Madrid... help!
proTUNING Freaks

05-14-2019, 04:11 PM   #1
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

Driving to Madrid... help!

Hi all

Given that flights and hotels to Madrid for a certain game of football on Saturday 1st June have been completely extorted 4 of us are now looking at the option of driving there. Leaving on the Friday and getting home on the Monday.

For the length of the journey we’d look to hire a comfortable, luxury vehicle to make the trip in. I’ve seen through Avis Prestige that I could get a Range Rover Sport 3.0TDV6 Autobiography for around £1,100 for the 4 days. Even with several fills ups and tolls it still works out a damn sight cheaper than any flight right now.

The aim would be to get from Folkestone to Calais on the train then try and make our way down to Bordeaux to get our heads down for the night. Then it’s a 7-8 hour drive on to Madrid from there on the Saturday. Doesn’t sound particularly appealing but a case of needs must. 3 of us would be sharing the driving, 1 doesn’t.

So my questions are has anyone driven to Spain before who could give any advice/tips about the viability of it? And does anyone know of any other good places to hire a nice, luxury SUV such as the Range Rover for such a trip?

Also I know a few of you have or have had Range Rover Sports on here so what kind of mileage do you tend to get to a tank and what’s the cost to fill up a tank? Should give me a steer on what it might cost in fuel to cover a 2,200 mile round trip!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Sounds like an excuse to have some fun in a camper to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 04:32 PM   #3
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
Sounds like an excuse to have some fun in a camper to me.
I think I've seen that video.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #4
inkiboo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330xd, E39 M5, I01 i3

Can't remember if Avis allow UK cars to travel to Europe. Worth checking.

We are flying out via Gibraltar and then driving up.

Good luck to you; it's a bloody long way!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Fly to Valencia and get the TGV - takes about 90 minutes
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #6
shutterman1
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport Touring

faintly , in the distance i hear duelling banjo's
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 04:43 PM   #7
Scoobyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkiboo View Post

Yea they do I checked that out with them. Have you got accommodation for the night in Madrid? That’s the other problem. Glad you got flights sorted. Another option we’re considering is flying into France somewhere then hiring a car.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
Scoobyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
A good idea if flights to Valencia didn’t require a remortgage for those dates
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 05:52 PM   #9
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

You're thinking of driving for 4 days (assuming 9 hours per day in the car), return trip, to watch a game of footy ? Mental.

It's a schlep. I go to Le Mans (400 miles from home) every couple of years and that's a long day's driving once the pick up (mate; central London), Chunnel, fuel stops and rest/lunch breaks are factored-in.

Taking a guess at 35mpg over a long run, the fuel bill would be around £400. Not expensive across 4 people. Obviously you have to add tolls, hotels (3 nights), food, booze, etc to that.

I'd be budgeting £800-1000 per head, all in. Obviously depends a lot on how expensive your tastes are.

The biggest cost is time though. I'd be looking at lots of alternatives.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #10
inkiboo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyd View Post
Yea they do I checked that out with them. Have you got accommodation for the night in Madrid? That’s the other problem. Glad you got flights sorted. Another option we’re considering is flying into France somewhere then hiring a car.
We have a hotel about an hour's drive outside of Madrid. £80 per night; nothing fancy, just a bed and a room.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #11
Scoobyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
You're thinking of driving for 4 days (assuming 9 hours per day in the car), return trip, to watch a game of footy ? Mental.

It's a schlep. I go to Le Mans (400 miles from home) every couple of years and that's a long day's driving once the pick up (mate; central London), Chunnel, fuel stops and rest/lunch breaks are factored-in.

Taking a guess at 35mpg over a long run, the fuel bill would be around £400. Not expensive across 4 people. Obviously you have to add tolls, hotels (3 nights), food, booze, etc to that.

I'd be budgeting £800-1000 per head, all in. Obviously depends a lot on how expensive your tastes are.

The biggest cost is time though. I'd be looking at lots of alternatives.
It’s a painful journey granted! Think I may have found a decent alternative though. Eurostar from St Pancras to Paris on the Friday morning. Hire a car at Paris and try to put 9 hours on the road and get over into Spain to say San Sebastián or Bilbao. Stay overnight there and it only leaves a 4 hours or so drive down into Madrid on the Saturday. Stay on the outskirts of Madrid Saturday night then over the course of Sunday and Monday make our way back to Paris stopping overnight somewhere in France. Eurostar back to St Pancras. Travel and accommodation should work out at around £550 each. And far less of an arduous journey than driving all the way from home. Albeit still a long one!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 08:15 PM   #12
Scoobyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
We have a hotel about an hour's drive outside of Madrid. £80 per night; nothing fancy, just a bed and a room.
Good plan. I know people staying in Alicante, Malaga etc but with nowhere to stay in Madrid on the Saturday and no way of getting back so they’re having to pull all nighters until their trains start running again on the Sunday. Rather them than me! You Spurs or Liverpool?!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 02:09 AM   #13
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
A good idea if flights to Valencia didn’t require a remortgage for those dates
Have you tried flights to Bilbao as you can drive to Madrid in about 3h30 from there. If you still decide to drive all the way see if you can borrow a sanef tag if you don't have one already so you can just breeze through the toll booths in France.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 02:29 AM   #14
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
It's a painful journey granted! Think I may have found a decent alternative though. Eurostar from St Pancras to Paris on the Friday morning. Hire a car at Paris and try to put 9 hours on the road and get over into Spain to say San Sebastián or Bilbao. Stay overnight there and it only leaves a 4 hours or so drive down into Madrid on the Saturday. Stay on the outskirts of Madrid Saturday night then over the course of Sunday and Monday make our way back to Paris stopping overnight somewhere in France. Eurostar back to St Pancras. Travel and accommodation should work out at around £550 each. And far less of an arduous journey than driving all the way from home. Albeit still a long one!
That'll save a bit of time but personally I'd be trying to fly into Spain - Paris to Madrid is a long way.

Good luck with getting it sorted
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 04:46 AM   #15
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Hi all

Given that flights and hotels to Madrid for a certain game of football on Saturday 1st June have been completely extorted 4 of us are now looking at the option of driving there. Leaving on the Friday and getting home on the Monday.

For the length of the journey we’d look to hire a comfortable, luxury vehicle to make the trip in. I’ve seen through Avis Prestige that I could get a Range Rover Sport 3.0TDV6 Autobiography for around £1,100 for the 4 days. Even with several fills ups and tolls it still works out a damn sight cheaper than any flight right now.

The aim would be to get from Folkestone to Calais on the train then try and make our way down to Bordeaux to get our heads down for the night. Then it’s a 7-8 hour drive on to Madrid from there on the Saturday. Doesn’t sound particularly appealing but a case of needs must. 3 of us would be sharing the driving, 1 doesn’t.

So my questions are has anyone driven to Spain before who could give any advice/tips about the viability of it? And does anyone know of any other good places to hire a nice, luxury SUV such as the Range Rover for such a trip?

Also I know a few of you have or have had Range Rover Sports on here so what kind of mileage do you tend to get to a tank and what’s the cost to fill up a tank? Should give me a steer on what it might cost in fuel to cover a 2,200 mile round trip!

Thanks!
Have you looked into flying into somewhere else (France, maybe) and renting a car there for the duration...? Marseille, Toulouse, Bordeaux might be possible... Also Southern Spain... Malaga, Seville etc...

Renting a car in the UK then taking it to Spain can be really expensive and some rental car companies will not allow cross border removals (although i am sure you ahve looked into that)...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 04:50 AM   #16
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
It’s a painful journey granted! Think I may have found a decent alternative though. Eurostar from St Pancras to Paris on the Friday morning. Hire a car at Paris and try to put 9 hours on the road and get over into Spain to say San Sebastián or Bilbao. Stay overnight there and it only leaves a 4 hours or so drive down into Madrid on the Saturday. Stay on the outskirts of Madrid Saturday night then over the course of Sunday and Monday make our way back to Paris stopping overnight somewhere in France. Eurostar back to St Pancras. Travel and accommodation should work out at around £550 each. And far less of an arduous journey than driving all the way from home. Albeit still a long one!
Alternative would be to go south from Paris on the TGV and rent from a southern city...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 04:52 AM   #17
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Just a tip... when heading back to Gib, allow yourselves plenty of time in case there are delays at the border with Spain... sometimes there are... Just a "heads up"...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 05:54 AM   #18
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

And just imagine how much fun the journey back will be when you lose (I'm assuming fairly simplistically that Herts means Spurs fan as we are surrounded by the whinging twats)

Come on Liverpool....
Appreciate 1
Ridg205.00
      05-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #19
inkiboo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good plan. I know people staying in Alicante, Malaga etc but with nowhere to stay in Madrid on the Saturday and no way of getting back so they’re having to pull all nighters until their trains start running again on the Sunday. Rather them than me! You Spurs or Liverpool?!
Spurs and not a bin dipper!

We have family in Marbella so spending a few days there before the game.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 06:44 AM   #20
inkiboo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
And just imagine how much fun the journey back will be when you lose (I'm assuming fairly simplistically that Herts means Spurs fan as we are surrounded by the whinging twats)

Come on Liverpool....
Whinging twats? Surely that is the perfect description of Liverpool fans?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #21
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Whinging twats? Surely that is the perfect description of Liverpool fans?!?!?
Nope, when you listen to the Spurs fans talking about how they should have finished above Chelsea but didnt....

Liverpool fans seem pretty magnanimous given their points total and they still came second. Whereas Spurs were closer to Bournemouth in 14th than top....
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 10:12 AM   #22
inkiboo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Nope, when you listen to the Spurs fans talking about how they should have finished above Chelsea but didnt....

Liverpool fans seem pretty magnanimous given their points total and they still came second. Whereas Spurs were closer to Bournemouth in 14th than top....
We should have finished above Chelsea. It was entirely in our own hands and we messed it up on numerous occasions. Thankfully for us, all the teams around us did the same.
Appreciate 0