BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Engine oil additives

05-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #1
JeffM2PRDallas
Private
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 F87

Engine oil additives

Any recommendation on engine oil additives? I change the oil very frequent but I was wondering if there is any new additive currently in the market that make some difference. "Ceratec" something like this?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

You might as well as which god is the best god. I personally do not add oil additives and have not for over 20 years. I've had no oil related engine failures (actually no engine failures of any sort) in that time. I could not tell you how may miles that covers between my and my wife's cars, but all were replaced with over 150K on them (some close to 200k).
I also don't recall ever seeing an "I changed my oil regularly with appropriate quality oil and my engine still suffered an oil-related failure" post of any message board I've ever visited. Do whatever you want with this info

For what it's worth, this is what BMW says in the manual:

Information
ATTENTION
Oil additives can damage the engine.
There is a risk of damage to property. Do not
use oil additives.◀
Appreciate 2
      05-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #3
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Manufactures don't ever recommend oil additives. Today's synthetic oils are very good and already have additives in them to suit the requirements of automobile manufacturers. As long as you change your oil within the manufacturer recommended intervals and use approved oils you should never have any lubrication based failure.
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00