BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-13-2019, 09:23 PM   #1
lansa
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Angry iPhone - USB Device not Recognized and Other Issues

Among the many iPhone glitches since I bought the car 3 days ago...Plugging my iPhone XR into usb port now results in the above error message, and phone doesn't charge either (tried multiple cables). Also, while initially CarPlay showed up, it no longer shows up, despite having deleted the phone and re-paired it multiple times. And another....experiencing random audio loss while streaming music from phone over BT. I've called BMW tech and they keep saying their servers are undergoing a massive upgrade (no ETA on when things are back online) which could be resulting in various issues but I doubt these glitches are related to that.
Appreciate 2
      05-21-2019, 09:28 PM   #2
Jjpass1985
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 BMW X5 M-Sport 40i

I have the same exact issues....our SA says "everything should be working fine after the software update" which it's not! It's very frustrating owning a $75k car with these kinds of glitches. It's almost as if they released the new iDrive software too soon
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
USB c issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjpass1985 View Post
I have the same exact issues....our SA says "everything should be working fine after the software update" which it's not! It's very frustrating owning a $75k car with these kinds of glitches. It's almost as if they released the new iDrive software too soon
I noticed in reviews that the X5 has usb C outlets. I don't have my car yet so I haven't tried, but you can buy usbC charging cords and adapters. Has anyone tried those? Does it make a difference?

Stupid question but does the X5 have any "normal" usb A outlets?
Reviews and comments I've read are contradictory.

Also have you tried using the lighter with an inserted dual usb A adapter?
That's what I do now and found an adapter on amazon that will charge quickly and also will charge my iPad. They only had two and I snapped both of them up so I can leave one in my old car - highlander - and will have one for the X5 when I get it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 07:44 AM   #4
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjpass1985 View Post
I noticed in reviews that the X5 has usb C outlets. I don't have my car yet so I haven't tried, but you can buy usbC charging cords and adapters. Has anyone tried those? Does it make a difference?

Stupid question but does the X5 have any "normal" usb A outlets?
Reviews and comments I've read are contradictory.

Also have you tried using the lighter with an inserted dual usb A adapter?
That's what I do now and found an adapter on amazon that will charge quickly and also will charge my iPad. They only had two and I snapped both of them up so I can leave one in my old car - highlander - and will have one for the X5 when I get it.
Also I read on another forum that car play won't work if your phone is connected to your home or other WiFi. Once you leave the WiFi signal car play works. This could be an issue if you are trying to set up or connect CarPlay sitting in your driveway where your home WiFi is still active.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 08:11 PM   #5
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Also I read on another forum that car play won't work if your phone is connected to your home or other WiFi. Once you leave the WiFi signal car play works. This could be an issue if you are trying to set up or connect CarPlay sitting in your driveway where your home WiFi is still active.
For CarPlay to work, the iphone needs to connect to BMW WiFi.
Appreciate 0