F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Magnaflow Catalytic Convertor
proTUNING Freaks

05-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
rahlow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Magnaflow Catalytic Convertor

I have an emissions inspection coming up as I live in Maryland and when I asked my BMW guy, who has a 600hp 335 he says purchase a magnaflow Catalytic convertor which should take care of the smell. I have the MP 2.5 tune and trans tune catless 4.5" down pipe and intake. The car hasn't thrown any CELs since the tune late last year so I figure if I can get rid of the smell I should be ok. Anyone else have any experience with this or hear if magnaflow catalytic converter would work? If so, what spec convertor would I need to purchase so that it also fits my 2016 340i. Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
Genieman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: yes please

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahlow View Post
I have an emissions inspection coming up as I live in Maryland and when I asked my BMW guy, who has a 600hp 335 he says purchase a magnaflow Catalytic convertor which should take care of the smell. I have the MP 2.5 tune and trans tune catless 4.5" down pipe and intake. The car hasn't thrown any CELs since the tune late last year so I figure if I can get rid of the smell I should be ok. Anyone else have any experience with this or hear if magnaflow catalytic converter would work? If so, what spec convertor would I need to purchase so that it also fits my 2016 340i. Thanks for any help.
Magnaflow doesn't make a direct fit cat/downpipe for our cars. So the only assumption I can make is that your friend suggested buying a universal cat from them and welding it into the exhaust somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #3
rahlow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
Magnaflow doesn't make a direct fit cat/downpipe for our cars. So the only assumption I can make is that your friend suggested buying a universal cat from them and welding it into the exhaust somewhere.
Upon doing my research all I see is the universal magnaflow. I will need to talk to him about if he can weld it. They run a pretty successful shop here in Gaithersburg so I hope so. Then also what kind of labor cost would I be looking at if it's possible...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #4
awilki0101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I'm assuming you no longer have your stock cat. Best option is to find a used one and swap before testing. Pretty easy job, I have down to 30 minutes now on my xdrive. Welding a universal someone in line wouldn't make sense as it would then be permanent defeating the purpose of your catless DP. If insistent on going universal route find a strait line in exhaust and cut same length of DP out and use coupling clamps to place in then you can do quick swaps with cut piece of pipe. Again I think used OEM is the best way to go
Appreciate 0