E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How to display absolute consumption?

05-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #1
n00b0rKa
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: 05 BMW E90 325i

How to display absolute consumption?

Hello everyone!

So I recently switched from an Opel Zafira to an E90 and I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm missing one thing a lot: the ability to display the absolute fuel consumption (in liters) somewhere.

I have a 2005 E90 325i with navi (M-ASK), but I just can't get it to show the absolute value of fuel consumed. Even my older Zafira (from 2000) had this function, and I'd need it a lot, because I'm currently counting the ticks on the fuel gauge and estimating from my total tank capacity. I need this because I do a lot of official trips for my organisation and I need to account for the fuel I used.

Isn't there somewhere a hidden digital readout of the amount of fuel consumed since the last reset of the counter, or maybe a coding option somewhere? I couldn't find anything related on the internet, any help is appreciated.

Have a nice day, nbK
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 09:05 AM   #2
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

On those older iDrive CCC models, don’t think it is possible, but I could be wrong.
Why don’t you just note the total amount of liters on the pump display when you stop to refuel? It may not be 100% accurate, but its close enough.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2426.50
      05-08-2019, 05:05 AM   #3
n00b0rKa
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: 05 BMW E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
On those older iDrive CCC models, don’t think it is possible, but I could be wrong.
Why don’t you just note the total amount of liters on the pump display when you stop to refuel? It may not be 100% accurate, but its close enough.
Because I don't always refuel when I leave or arrive back from a journey, and I find it too easy to mess up. I'm sad to hear this, in my head this shouldn't even be an iDrive function, rather than a trip computer thingy.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 05:25 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b0rKa View Post
Because I don't always refuel when I leave or arrive back from a journey, and I find it too easy to mess up. I'm sad to hear this, in my head this shouldn't even be an iDrive function, rather than a trip computer thingy.
Then just reset the MPG gauge and the trip odometer before the journey, that will give you a per-journey fuel consumption value. You can then calculate the liters of fuel used.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Then just reset the MPG gauge and the trip odometer before the journey, that will give you a per-journey fuel consumption value. You can then calculate the liters of fuel used.
Are you saying if you divide the trip's number of miles driven by the trip's miles per gallon then the answer would be the trip's number of gallons burnt?!? Witchcraft! We shall burn you at the stake!

Also ya jt335i's suggestion, while fine in theory, doesn't work well in my experience. It's because pumps' overflow-sensor-feature-thingy can vary by like a whole gallon.
Appreciate 0