F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 440M-Sport | Dinan Freeflow + BM3 OR MPPSK?
ARMA SPEED

05-06-2019, 12:35 AM   #1
Molatte
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

440M-Sport | Dinan Freeflow + BM3 OR MPPSK?

Hello,

So as the title of the thread states, I currently own a 2017 440i GC M-Sport and I'm conflicted. I wanna make the burbles and bangs louder while making the exhaust louder. I also like the deep growl that these two exhaust offers. The question is;

1) Should I buy Dinan Freeflow Exhaust and tune with BM3 (which makes the burbles even louder) BUT valveless

2) Should I buy MPPSK and just be done with it? Might tune it with BM3 depending on how low I can get the MPPSK for.

3) How about Dinan Midpipe + BM3? This is the cheapest option to get.

But yeah, I need advice and opinions please. I was gonna wrap my car but thought that money is better spent on something functional and less cosmetic.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #2
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

You say you “currently own” your 440 so I’m assuming no lease, I bought my 340 outright so maintaining warranty is important to me. I’m guessing for you too which makes MPPSK an easier decision, not a cheap decision mind you but a little bit easier. Last thing I will say is I’ve yet to hear anyone say “ I bought MPPSK and wish I didn’t. I say go for it!
      05-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
bmw22915
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

MPPSK May cost you a pretty penny, I believe it's the best sounding exhaust once you pair it with an intake and high flow downpipe. Keeps your warranty if you don't add the downpipe. Add a dinan CF intake
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
Molatte
Rep

I called my local dealers and they've quoted me at $4100 (not including install) and $3459 (not including install).

Dinan +BM3 sounds much better right now honestly unless anyone else has a reference I can buy the MPPSK for.

My car isn't a lease and its a CPO and honestly not too worries about warranty. Dinan has a good warranty program with BMW right?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 01:53 PM   #5
track.n.trail
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molatte View Post
I called my local dealers and they've quoted me at $4100 (not including install) and $3459 (not including install).

Dinan +BM3 sounds much better right now honestly unless anyone else has a reference I can buy the MPPSK for.

My car isn't a lease and its a CPO and honestly not too worries about warranty. Dinan has a good warranty program with BMW right?
There's plenty of threads on warranty+tunes so I won't go into much detail but basically if you flash your car with BM3, MHD, JB4, etc, you are not guaranteed to be covered if there is a big drivetrain issue (engine, turbo, trans) regardless of a Dinan warranty.

IMO I'd go for BM3+Exhaust(Dinan/Resonator Delete/any other exhaust). The customization BM3 gives is awesome and they're constantly improving the maps. Plus you get way more power than MPSSK.

Previous: 6th Gen Camaro SS 1LE | 2020 JLUR Wrangler | F30 340i | B7 Audi A4 APR Tuned | E46 330ci
Instagram @track.n.trail
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 02:08 PM   #6
Molatte
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotfiles View Post
There's plenty of threads on warranty+tunes so I won't go into much detail but basically if you flash your car with BM3, MHD, JB4, etc, you are not guaranteed to be covered if there is a big drivetrain issue (engine, turbo, trans) regardless of a Dinan warranty.

IMO I'd go for BM3+Exhaust(Dinan/Resonator Delete/any other exhaust). The customization BM3 gives is awesome and they're constantly improving the maps. Plus you get way more power than MPSSK.
Without talking too much about warranties, I understand hence why I mentioned I'm not too worried about warranties. Gotta pay to play, per se.

But I just called a very reputable BMW shop and they quoted me $200 to install the Dinan exhaust (assuming there's welding involved). But now the question is...stock exhaust + Dinan Midpipe + BM3 (to keep the valves) or just go with the Dinan Exhaust + BM3? I haven't found a video with JUST Dinan exhaust accelerating in comfort. I would like to know if the difference between comfort and Sport are just the bang and burbles or is there noticeable change in volume?

So pumped though!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #7
sewhelan9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
But I just called a very reputable BMW shop and they quoted me $200 to install the Dinan exhaust (assuming there's welding involved). But now the question is...stock exhaust + Dinan Midpipe + BM3 (to keep the valves) or just go with the Dinan Exhaust + BM3? I haven't found a video with JUST Dinan exhaust accelerating in comfort. I would like to know if the difference between comfort and Sport are just the bang and burbles or is there noticeable change in volume?
I have the Dinan mid-pipe on my 2018 440i GC and it does require the mid-pipe to be cut, re-positioned and re-welded to clear the additional chassis braces that are added in the GC to make up for having a huge hole for the hatchback. Cost me $120 at a local muffler shop. I love the sound. Nothing too dramatic but cold start is awesome now and it burbles a bit more. I don't have a flash tune, just the Dinan Stage 1 v1 and the AP intake. The rest is stock.
2018 440i Gran Coupe (F36), Glacier Silver/Black Dakota, M Performance and Track Handling Package, MHD Stage 2 and xHP Stage 3 flash tunes, Dinan Shockware and mid-pipe, HJS high-flow cat, AP Intake, RW Carbon duck bill spoiler and rear diffuser
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 03:31 PM   #8
track.n.trail
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Without talking too much about warranties, I understand hence why I mentioned I'm not too worried about warranties. Gotta pay to play, per se.

So pumped though!

My car with Dinan midpipe, stock muffler and BM3 Stage 1
From the inside, it sounds stock in comfort mode with a bit more volume aggression in sport. Significantly louder than stock outside the car in sport mode.
If the Dinan exhaust does not have valves, the volume will be the same in comfort and sport.

Previous: 6th Gen Camaro SS 1LE | 2020 JLUR Wrangler | F30 340i | B7 Audi A4 APR Tuned | E46 330ci
Instagram @track.n.trail

Last edited by track.n.trail; 05-06-2019 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #9
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8

Quote:

You can negotiate to 3200 installed, shop around. As far as exhaust, I prefer the dinan full catback to the MPPSK. I'm in the minority but the MPPSK only sounds loud revving it, once you take off I feel like I don't hear as much. Almost hollow. My car came with it installed but I'd go dinan otherwise.
Appreciate 0