BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

08-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
ananta19
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Washing your car...

what kind of products to people use? I was at the car meet at Best Buy in Iselin and people were reccomending a clay bar? esp for the front bumper?

I'm not familiar w/ this product at all...can someone reccomend a brand, etc?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananta19 View Post
what kind of products to people use? I was at the car meet at Best Buy in Iselin and people were reccomending a clay bar? esp for the front bumper?

I'm not familiar w/ this product at all...can someone reccomend a brand, etc?

Thanks,
zianobros.com (clay bar and paint protection)

3M protection on bumper, hood and fenders (make sure you pick a good place/many bad installations out there)

Leather Master for seat cleaning, conditioning and protection (expensive but so is your car :-) )
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Clay bar are best to be used after a year or so-depending on driving condition and the use of the vehicle. I finally did the 4 steps: Wash, clay, polish, and wax in June. The car looks great. The shine is stellar. I used a clay by a company called Clay Magic. I've used other brands previously. I find clay magic is more pliable, doesn't feel synthetic, and is a bit soft.
For washing, I find an interesting trick. I have these Micro towels. When I am drying the car up, i use a regular Shame (don't know about the spelling) to absorb the water thoroughly, followed by those micro towels. I find that those towels don't leave any streaks, and it is the best to use on windows.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
Griz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananta19 View Post
what kind of products to people use?
I recommend going to autopia.org and reading up. In addition to seeing what products are available, spend some time reading up on the proper detailing process.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
I told the dealer to not wash the car at all and clayed immediately when I got it home. Got plenty of ingrained dirt off the car. If a car hasn't been clayed, it needs to be.

I use the Zaino system of products including clay. There are other great products as well. I suggest reading the e90post detailing forum stickies for some good advice to start.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
choopy
Juicy Booty NomNoMnom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3 Vert/2005 M3 Competition

Get a fine grade clay bar if you decide to purchase one. Detailedimage.com has a good selection. You want a fine clay bar because it is less abrasive to the clear coat of the paint, and unless your removing stubborn build up on the car that has aged (for example a couple months) and needs a heavier clay bar. However, if you use a heavier clay be sure to take your time and be careful, also might want to polish those areas again to ensure that the clearcoat is protected. PM me if you have any more questions!
      09-05-2008, 02:32 AM   #7
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

I have found that all the Chemical Guys products extremely top notch (www.chemicalguys.com) Just last week I did the whole process on my new 2 week old E90 Interlagos Blue.

Wash with CG Citrus wash (heavier concentrate to strip everythig)
Dry
Clay Bar with CG Blue Bar (light duty) and Luber Spray 100% strength
Dry
Wash again with CG Citrus wash at 1 oz. to 5-6 gal.
Dry
Jetseal with 30 min cure (for protectant) and remove
Wait 30 min
Jetseal again with 30 min cure (better protect and shine) and remove
Wait 30 min
Wax with Petes 53 wax one coat (it got dark)

While waiting I used CG Leather cleaner/conditioner on seats ect. to help protect them

Boy what a different blue on the car now... I may do a 2nd wax this weekend just because!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
DC5ITR88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

for newer cars that dont have much blemish on its paint i would use a cam spray paired with either the foam lance or foam canon (youtube those if you dont know what to expect from them). Then use one of those washing mitts to clean the dirt and grime off of the body of the car and then spray with water and repeat with cam spray with foam lance or canon. Clay bar then polish then seal up.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #9
milloy8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumphoto View Post
I have found that all the Chemical Guys products extremely top notch (www.chemicalguys.com) Just last week I did the whole process on my new 2 week old E90 Interlagos Blue.

Wash with CG Citrus wash (heavier concentrate to strip everythig)
Dry
Clay Bar with CG Blue Bar (light duty) and Luber Spray 100% strength
Dry
Wash again with CG Citrus wash at 1 oz. to 5-6 gal.
Dry
Jetseal with 30 min cure (for protectant) and remove
Wait 30 min
Jetseal again with 30 min cure (better protect and shine) and remove
Wait 30 min
Wax with Petes 53 wax one coat (it got dark)

While waiting I used CG Leather cleaner/conditioner on seats ect. to help protect them

Boy what a different blue on the car now... I may do a 2nd wax this weekend just because!
I'm claying my car for the first time this weekend, does any detailing spray (Z6 for instance) work as a lubricant?
      09-11-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by milloy8 View Post
I'm claying my car for the first time this weekend, does any detailing spray (Z6 for instance) work as a lubricant?
water with carwash detergent is a much more economical lubricant. zaino recommends such too.

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #11
Chicagobob
Car-Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi, 02 M3, 99 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
Clay bar are best to be used after a year or so-depending on driving condition and the use of the vehicle. I finally did the 4 steps: Wash, clay, polish, and wax in June. The car looks great. The shine is stellar. I used a clay by a company called Clay Magic. I've used other brands previously. I find clay magic is more pliable, doesn't feel synthetic, and is a bit soft.
For washing, I find an interesting trick. I have these Micro towels. When I am drying the car up, i use a regular Shame (don't know about the spelling) to absorb the water thoroughly, followed by those micro towels. I find that those towels don't leave any streaks, and it is the best to use on windows.
Not true at all. Cars are moved from ports/factories to different areas of the country by train. Rail dust is metal fillings created by the train wheels contacting the tracks. Clay bars were developed to remove rail dust and other contaminants on new cars but can be used on any car. I did a clients car which was 4 months old and it had more contamination in the paint than my mom's 1991 Lexus. I use Ricardo clay which can only be bought in Canada. I've used Griots and Klay Magic with reasonable results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5ITR88 View Post
for newer cars that dont have much blemish on its paint i would use a cam spray paired with either the foam lance or foam canon (youtube those if you dont know what to expect from them). Then use one of those washing mitts to clean the dirt and grime off of the body of the car and then spray with water and repeat with cam spray with foam lance or canon. Clay bar then polish then seal up.
Cam sprayers are very nice nice but I've found them to be useful only if the car is extremely filthy. I prefer to use my gilmour foamer which produces less foam but pushes out more water and does as good a job. I also would recommend that you use a 2 bucket method. One bucket is full of soap and water and the other with just water. Dunk your mitt in the soap water, wash a panel, then dunk the mitt in the water bucket to remove any debris. Then redunk in soap bucket and do next panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSPEM3 View Post
water with carwash detergent is a much more economical lubricant. zaino recommends such too.
Thats what i do too.
Appreciate 0