E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > More Tyre Issues

08-04-2008, 05:01 AM   #1
skansa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Datsun Sunny

More Tyre Issues

OK Bridgestones sound a bit of a joke, am keen to move to non-RFT.

Can i keep rft on the front still or do i need to change all 4 tyres?

Any recommondations for the tyres?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Don't mix RFT and non-RFT - the difference in handling and sidewall flex etc is too great

I have now tried many different normal tyres and runflat versions, across different cars. By far the most consistent, comfortable and secure (and most expensive unfortunately) is the Michelin Pilot Sport 2. Closely behind is the Continental Conti Sport Contact 3 which has better wet weather handling characteristics in terms of a more neutral breakaway, but less outright grip and cornering ability in the dry.

The Goodyear Eagle F1 is very good also, but the wear rate is a little higher and the noise/comfort levels not as good.

Pirelli PZero Neros and Rossos follow in that order - what you'll find with the Neros in particular is that whilst grip levels are high in the dry, there is a slight graininess and knobbliness to the ride quality, which transmits itself as a minute vibration through the steering wheel and base of the seat. Not uncomfortable by any means, but noticeable all the same.

If you want to retain the runflat system, then certainly the Michelin Pilot Sport ZP tyre (for zero pressure) is light years ahead of the Bridgestone and is now considered the market-leader in outright performance. And it's really almost as good as the non-RFT version. Expensive though!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Don't mix RFT and non-RFT - the difference in handling and sidewall flex etc is too great

I have now tried many different normal tyres and runflat versions, across different cars. By far the most consistent, comfortable and secure (and most expensive unfortunately) is the Michelin Pilot Sport 2. Closely behind is the Continental Conti Sport Contact 3 which has better wet weather handling characteristics in terms of a more neutral breakaway, but less outright grip and cornering ability in the dry.

The Goodyear Eagle F1 is very good also, but the wear rate is a little higher and the noise/comfort levels not as good.

Pirelli PZero Neros and Rossos follow in that order - what you'll find with the Neros in particular is that whilst grip levels are high in the dry, there is a slight graininess and knobbliness to the ride quality, which transmits itself as a minute vibration through the steering wheel and base of the seat. Not uncomfortable by any means, but noticeable all the same.

If you want to retain the runflat system, then certainly the Michelin Pilot Sport ZP tyre (for zero pressure) is light years ahead of the Bridgestone and is now considered the market-leader in outright performance. And it's really almost as good as the non-RFT version. Expensive though!
I totally agree with everything Tony says, the PS2's both RFT and non-RFT are brilliant...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
andy69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90-320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by skansa View Post
OK Bridgestones sound a bit of a joke, am keen to move to non-RFT.

Can i keep rft on the front still or do i need to change all 4 tyres?

Any recommondations for the tyres?
I hope so thats what im going to do this week

330cdsport has non rft's on the front and rft's on the back, he doesnt have problems check out his post in this link along with the poll on recommend non rft's

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153525

cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
skansa
First Lieutenant
Rep

thanks for the great intel, much appreciated. In the end I am getting 1 new Bridgestone Potenza 255 30 19 91Y for £344 to tie me over. On renewal of tyres i will change to Michelin as Bridgestone are utter rubbish and their supply chain is being run by a gimp. Some garages were asking for £400. Independants cant get hold of the tyre at all.

Curiously what happens to the sensors when you change over the tyres to Non-RFTs? Are they still there so if i ever switch back they will work automatically?

Thanks
S
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
andy69
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the great intel, much appreciated. In the end I am getting 1 new Bridgestone Potenza 255 30 19 91Y for £344 to tie me over. On renewal of tyres i will change to Michelin as Bridgestone are utter rubbish and their supply chain is being run by a gimp. Some garages were asking for £400. Independants cant get hold of the tyre at all.

Curiously what happens to the sensors when you change over the tyres to Non-RFTs? Are they still there so if i ever switch back they will work automatically?

Thanks
S
HOW MUCH !!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Thanks
S

WHAT ON EARTH?!!! That's CRAZY money...!!! It's not worth doing that - you might as well get a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2 ZP (Runflat) for the rear, and run on mixed tyres for a while. That isn't so much of a problem. Then when the fronts are worn, change them over to the Michelin Runflats and then you'll have a complete system. Believe me, the PS2 ZP tyres are fabulous in their own right, and are very nearly as good as the normal PS2s in terms of ride comfort. The handling characteristics and grip levels are predominantly the same anyway. (make sure they're not the original Pilot Sport 1 ZP ... the version 2 is light years better)

With regard to the tyre pressure sensors - BMW used two systems, the TPMS sensors on the valve stems themselves, or otherwise the ABS sensors (by measuring differences in rotational speeds in this case). If the car has TPMS sensors, the tyre fitters will retain the use of the them and the valve stems, but just change the internal valve needle. If the car uses ABS sensors, then there's no change whatsoever. Bottom line, don't worry!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
skansa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Michelin Pilot Sport 2 ZP , where do you get them from, I have searched databases at:
national tyres
Kwik Fit
Event Tyres
Elite Direct
Black Circles
Borehamwood Tyres
BMW Watford and Stanmore
E-tyres
and Mr Tyres!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 08:23 AM   #9
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Michelin Pilot Sport 2 ZP , where do you get them from, I have searched databases at:
national tyres
Kwik Fit
Event Tyres
Elite Direct
Black Circles
Borehamwood Tyres
BMW Watford and Stanmore
E-tyres
and Mr Tyres!
Try Micheldever tyres - www.micheldever.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #10
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy69 View Post
I hope so thats what im going to do this week

330cdsport has non rft's on the front and rft's on the back, he doesnt have problems check out his post in this link along with the poll on recommend non rft's

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153525

cheers
Well spotted Andy

I have been running the non-RFT Falkens on the front alongside the original Bridgestone RFT's on the rear, and have found no problems with the mixed setup at all. Handling is spot-on. I intend to replace the rears with Falkens though when the Bridgestones are worn out (too tight to do it beforehand)

So far, I am very happy with the Falkens on the front. They were recommeneded to me by Mikem on here.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #11
andy69
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cdsport View Post
Well spotted Andy

I have been running the non-RFT Falkens on the front alongside the original Bridgestone RFT's on the rear, and have found no problems with the mixed setup at all. Handling is spot-on. I intend to replace the rears with Falkens though when the Bridgestones are worn out (too tight to do it beforehand)

So far, I am very happy with the Falkens on the front. They were recommeneded to me by Mikem on here.
think im going for the Falkens this week, all in think it will be 300 euros for both fronts (18's)

have a few thousand left on the rears.. (well thats what i keep telling myself)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #12
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
What are you planning to do about puncture repairs when you move to non RFTs? Are you planning on buying a spare, using some kind of gunk or performing a temporary patch repair?

I will be changing to non RFTs when mine need changing so just wondered what Plan B is for you?

Tony
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #13
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

My Plan B is the M Mobility kit I got from BMW - gunk, compressor, to get you home. Plan C is call BMW Emergency Services.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #14
andy69
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarshall57 View Post
What are you planning to do about puncture repairs when you move to non RFTs? Are you planning on buying a spare, using some kind of gunk or performing a temporary patch repair?

I will be changing to non RFTs when mine need changing so just wondered what Plan B is for you?

Tony
Ive been discussing this today actually...my car is 3 years old next year and as an import, requires its first MOT, I have the feeling that it will not pass if it does not have a spare and they wont accept the gunk and compressor option

I know it doesnt help you being over there but you might want to ask yourself the question
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #15
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ive been discussing this today actually...my car is 3 years old next year and as an import, requires its first MOT, I have the feeling that it will not pass if it does not have a spare and they wont accept the gunk and compressor option

I know it doesnt help you being over there but you might want to ask yourself the question
So how do cars like the Pagani Zonda, Lambo Gallardo, Ferrari 430, and M3/M5 get away with it ?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 12:44 AM   #16
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Very good point Tony.
      08-05-2008, 01:32 AM   #17
andy69
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
So how do cars like the Pagani Zonda, Lambo Gallardo, Ferrari 430, and M3/M5 get away with it ?
Probably with a nice crisp 50 quid note and no questions
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 01:40 AM   #18
andy69
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Probably with a nice crisp 50 quid note and no questions
I am more worried that they would fail it for not having RFT'S on it as the car was designed for, this is what i am trying to find out at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 01:42 AM   #19
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
Stop worrying...many of my clients have older supercars like Tony explains...they get no shit no hassle at all...Go get a MOT its easy..we are talking Bomb proof german BMW here...not some piece of 3 yo shit
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 03:27 AM   #20
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
andy69, have you had any dealings with Jock Campbell from English Mobile Mechanics?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 03:37 AM   #21
andy69
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
andy69, have you had any dealings with Jock Campbell from English Mobile Mechanics?
I've heard of them..luckily had no need to call for one yet

Do you know him then ?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 03:45 AM   #22
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

There is no requirement in the MOT to have a spare tyre of any description, much less a motorbility set-up. The ony requirement with an MOT is if a spare tyre is present then it must be road-legal. If it's not there at all then no problem. The BMW Mini has no spare and many examples of those (including my wife's) are of MOT age.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0