BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-04-2008, 01:06 AM   #1
berniec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none yet

HOW TO: using the shark fin cellular antenna w/ aftermarket car kit

this applies to an 08 E92 M3, with BMW assist module, it may very well be true for other models but I cant be sure.

The shark fin contains a cellular antenna that is intended to be used by the BMW car cradle that fits in the center console (too bad they only support about three cell phones). For those that want to add a kit for their own phone, that has an external antenna connection, here is how you can do it without having to add any ugly extra antennas to your car.

1.) open the center console, and remove the e-brake boot but just pulling straight up on the bottom of it, it slides down a little and then lifts up. You DO NOT have to remove it all the way, just pull it back a little.

2.)at the bottom of the opening, closest to the front of the vehicle you will see a mini coaxial cable that is nested next to a molex connector with a purple/pink connector on the end.

This is the shark fin cell antenna connector. It is a mini-SMB male connector. To work with most car kits you will need to convert this into most likely either a female FME connector or a mini UHF connector - the FME is by far the most popular.

The easiest way to do this is to first go from the mini-SMB connector to a much more standard SMA connector, then use a FMA to female FME adapter to get the connector you need to attach to your car kit

NOTE: your car kit may want something other then a female FME antenna connection. Check the manual for your kit, and buy the appropriate adapter if it requires otherwise. The vast majority of recently manufactured car kits however all use female FME antenna connections.

3.)The mini SMB connector side of the cable attaches to the BMW antenna connector, and then the FMA to female FME adapter goes on the other end of the cable. The free end of the cable (with adapter now attached) then connects to your car kit's antenna output.

Parts Needed:

mini SMB - SMA cable
http://www.techtoolsupply.com/index....OD&ProdID=1084

FMA - female FME connector
http://www.wpsantennas.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=2310

happy talking!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Yea, but if you unplug the antenna connection to the BMW assist TCU, your BMW Assist, and Teleservice will no longer work ?

So I dont see the point of this.

Your comment that BMW supports 3 cellphones is also very misleading. They publish a list of cellphones they have tested with certain revisions of the BMW Assist TCU. This includes more than 3 phones. In addition many more cellphones will work with the TCU, however it varies on features available, such as address book sync.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Yea, but if you unplug the antenna connection to the BMW assist TCU, your BMW Assist, and Teleservice will no longer work ?

The antenna connection that the OP is making is actually for the OEM phone cradle. In the worst case, this cell antenna connection is shared with the TCU so there is no TCU TX/RX effect...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
berniec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Your comment that BMW supports 3 cellphones is also very misleading. They publish a list of cellphones they have tested with certain revisions of the BMW Assist TCU. This includes more than 3 phones. In addition many more cellphones will work with the TCU, however it varies on features available, such as address book sync.
no your post is the only thing misleading in this thread.

read what i posted again- where do i say anything about disconnecting anything from the the BMW assist module?

the antenna connection in the center console exists to mate to a BMW car cradle; of which there are only units I'm aware of- one for an iPhone, one BlackBerry model, and I think an LG.

The cell antenna port is shared with the BMW assist module, using one does not defeat the other.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Sorry, point taken about the connection point. I now realize what you are doing.

Heres a list of current cradles.

http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catal...s-item-96.html
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 BMW M3

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
Sounds great, but do you have any pictures of the wires and/or finished result? Curious to see how it looks.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
danmandle
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Bringing this post back from the dead. I have a mobile hotspot in my car which I want to boost the antenna. I could get some after market antennas, but I'd much rather use the built-in shark fin.

Does anyone know the frequencies that each antenna is for?

I know that the shark fin (roof aerial) has the following antennas in it:

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
hisgrace
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 x3M Sapphire Black

Does anyone have the location of the phone antenna cable in the console of the F25 X3 2012? I am wanting to connect my phone amplifier to that rather than mount another antenna.
Appreciate 0