BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-30-2019, 12:52 PM   #1
lights
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

New CarPlay Issue - All Media Audio Lost After Text via Siri

As of yesterday (with no software update that I'm aware of, still at iOS 12.2 and 11/2018.57), I have a new bug that reproduces 100% of the time. And it's super annoying.

If I receive a text message, all audio from CarPlay, Radio, etc. is lost. It doesn't play from my iPhone, it doesn't play on the car's speakers. When I turn the volume knob, it says "Speech Mode" as if it's stuck waiting for Siri voice input, but the screen shows as if my current CarPlay media (or Radio, or whatever I switch to) is playing.

The only way I can get the media audio to start playing again is to make a phone call and hang up. I've been calling 611 a lot these days.

Anyone else get into this state? It just started, but it's been happening for 2 days now.
2019 BMW x5 40i . premium tier . offroad package . integral active steering . parking assistance package . remote start . trailer hitch . heated seats/wheel/armrests . trailer hitch . 20" wheels . arctic gray
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 04:32 PM   #2
ADK-X5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

I get it occasionally. It seems to happen if I try to do something in CarPlay as soon as I get in the car. If I go to media settings and change bands or reselect my station, it fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 04:52 PM   #3
lights
Private
Rep

That didn’t fix it for me. Radio FM/AM, CarPlay audio, etc. nothing would work. Then it just went away one day. I have no clue why.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 09:21 PM   #4
JDSX
5th BMW
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 X5 M60i  [0.00]
This has been driving me crazy. I have two iPhones, Xs (personal) and 8 (work). The Xs is the one I expect to connect to CarPlay by default, which it does. It's been stuck in speech mode from the moment it connects and becomes apparent whenever I try to play audio. I reset the Xs and restored from backup. I rebooted iDrive (holding volume knob for 20secs). I deleted the device from the car and re-paired. The problem persists.

The 8 doesn't have this issue but I can't pinpoint why. I suspect it's the ConnectedDrive app.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 03:04 PM   #5
schiller@sshomes.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Has anyone figured out how to solve this problem?

I am having the same problem- I see you all describing exactly what I am experiencing- has anyone found a fix?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #6
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiller@sshomes.com View Post
I am having the same problem- I see you all describing exactly what I am experiencing- has anyone found a fix?
What's your software version?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 12:25 PM   #7
adamcb
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M5.0, '12 335is Cabrio

Try hard resetting your iPhone(s). On new ones that means pushing the top volume button, then the bottom volume button, then holding the power button thru the slide-to-turn-off screen. Keep holding the power button until the apple logo appears.

While I haven't had this particular issue, I am finding that CarPlay/iDrive issues are on the iPhone side about a third of the time.

Good luck!

Adam

EDIT: Sorry, just realized you said you reset the Xs - you were referring to the phone (not the car). Anyway, the hard reset does NOT do anything to your phone memory - just resets the temporary RAM where some of the gremlins often appear.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 06:19 AM   #8
amunaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 528xi

I went for a test drive yesterday and this happened right as I was testing the Harmon sound system. Seemed like it went away as I switched to fm radio. It came back multiple times though. We need a fix!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 09:04 AM   #9
lights
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amunaco View Post
I went for a test drive yesterday and this happened right as I was testing the Harmon sound system. Seemed like it went away as I switched to fm radio. It came back multiple times though. We need a fix!
Hmmm. You test drove a brand new BMW?

I haven’t seen this issue in a while and we’ve had several updates from BMW. I wonder if that car hadn’t had any updates...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 01:10 PM   #10
amunaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 528xi

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lights View Post
Hmmm. You test drove a brand new BMW?

I haven’t seen this issue in a while and we’ve had several updates from BMW. I wonder if that car hadn’t had any updates...
@lights Yes, brand new at the local dealer. First thing I did was connect my phone to test out the harmon kardon. Seemed like I could get it to go away after switching from CarPlay to FM radio, messing around like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 02:33 PM   #11
lights
Private
Rep

I have to give BMW credit that they’ve issued many updates to their software and most CarPlay issues have been fixed. If you buy a new one make sure they put the latest software version on it before taking it home. The dealer won’t want to do that because sales and service are different but look up the latest version and demand it.
Appreciate 0