BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-29-2019, 02:52 PM   #1
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Opinions on a Dashcam and recommendations?

As i await the delivery of my G05 (at the port and on the train as of yesterday en-route to Oxnard, CA) towards the end of this month, I wanted to know if folks think it is necessary to have a dashcam installed and if yes then why so? Besides the driver assistance professional package, I have everything else loaded on to the car so I am not sure if there is a way i can activate one of the front cam's on the front end of the car to record (noob question maybe)?

If yes then which one should I get? If I am getting one then I think it should be one that records on loop on a SD card and has 4k resolution maybe? If I do get one then I will be getting it installed professionally as I don't have the heart to open up a brand new car in the 1st week lol. My wife would have a heart attack if I did that ha!

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, opinions one way or the other and advice.
Appreciate 1
dbull258.00
      04-29-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
dbull2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5; 2017 Audi Q7

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
As i await the delivery of my G05 (at the port and on the train as of yesterday en-route to Oxnard, CA) towards the end of this month, I wanted to know if folks think it is necessary to have a dashcam installed and if yes then why so? Besides the driver assistance professional package, I have everything else loaded on to the car so I am not sure if there is a way i can activate one of the front cam's on the front end of the car to record (noob question maybe)?

If yes then which one should I get? If I am getting one then I think it should be one that records on loop on a SD card and has 4k resolution maybe? If I do get one then I will be getting it installed professionally as I don't have the heart to open up a brand new car in the 1st week lol. My wife would have a heart attack if I did that ha!

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, opinions one way or the other and advice.
Quote:

I considered the BMW dashcam but its was $459 plus over $500 for the dealer to install. I ended up with blackvue 590w 2 channel. if you need 4k go for the blackvue 900s. I got mine for recording any accidents to give to insurance. never know when some jerk is going to pull in front of you and slam on the brakes or other similar stunts. Or rear end you. FWIW, my insurance company does not take 4k video. they wanted 1080. also can't watch 4k video on a computer unless you have 4k monitors. apparently my insurance company hasn't upgraded to those yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:25 PM   #3
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 LX570

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbull2 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

I considered the BMW dashcam but its was $459 plus over $500 for the dealer to install. I ended up with blackvue 590w 2 channel. if you need 4k go for the blackvue 900s. I got mine for recording any accidents to give to insurance. never know when some jerk is going to pull in front of you and slam on the brakes or other similar stunts. Or rear end you. FWIW, my insurance company does not take 4k video. they wanted 1080. also can't watch 4k video on a computer unless you have 4k monitors. apparently my insurance company hasn't upgraded to those yet.
With 4K dashcam you can zoom in on license to get better picture. You don't need to have 4K monitor. With 1080p to get clear picture of the plate that car to be really close to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 07:25 AM   #4
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Among the existing threads:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1586693

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1575454
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 10:47 PM   #5
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Ok and the only take away is a diy on those. I am looking for recommendations on what brands are good. The 2nd thread does mention about a couple of them so that helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 11:40 PM   #6
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I'm afraid this is just plain wrong. You can play a 4K/UHD video on any computer, you might just not benefit from the higher resolution. I suspect the issue at hand is the increased file size of 4K/UHD video. In 18 months there will be even better quality available, so if you're buying a camera to last 3-5 years my advice is get the best resolution you can afford.

Also, as mentioned you need at least 4K to get a clear shot of the license plate unless the camera snaps them up close and without any motion blur.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 12:40 AM   #7
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I'm afraid this is just plain wrong. You can play a 4K/UHD video on any computer, you might just not benefit from the higher resolution. I suspect the issue at hand is the increased file size of 4K/UHD video. In 18 months there will be even better quality available, so if you're buying a camera to last 3-5 years my advice is get the best resolution you can afford.

Also, as mentioned you need at least 4K to get a clear shot of the license plate unless the camera snaps them up close and without any motion blur.
Yup definitely getting a 4K but the question is that other than the blackvue what are other good options that don't cost an arm and a leg
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 05:47 AM   #8
BMW lifer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 40i 2019

FWIW After lots of research, I decided on Thinkware and not BlackVue - because (at least in UK) their aftersale service is not considered good. I'm going for Q800Pro and prof installation
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 08:02 AM   #9
Xeno
Major
Rep

If you have rejected BV and the BMW camcorder, you might look at an RDF subforum where these radar detective 'enthusiasts' constantly post videos:

https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?forums/132/

You should also look for YouTube videos by "Vortex" like this one on the BV 900S:
He also has videos on 'budget' models with notes about pros and cons.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 11:39 AM   #10
copperavery
SamStep
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 M50i G07

Dash Cam....Yes

I had an aftermarket Dash Cam in-my 2016 X5. It "caught 2 wrecks......one when my wife was driving and lady in front of her lost control, fish-tailed, hit the median wall and caromed into another car 3 lanes away. I offered the video to the police, as the fault was with a speeding driver, who did not stop. The other time was when my wife was driving.......hmmmm...a pattern here? and a woman in an old beater Toyota pulled out in front of...yep, my wife, and got creamed. The Toyota suffered life ending injuries (car, not driver) and the X5 cost over 15 k to fix. Of course the at fault lady had no insurance or DL.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 03:57 AM   #11
ring0r
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

So I would definitely go for the BMW Advanced Car Eye 2.0 quite simply for the reason that the camera works solidly while driving as well as in parking mode without any extra batteries working. I had a blackvue with 2 additional batteries before and despite 40km of driving the day the batteries were actually always empty, since I have the BMW Cam is really everything in park mode and I'm on the safe side
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #12
Xeno
Major
Rep

For a previous discussion of BMW's option:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...light=advanced
Appreciate 0