BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-27-2019, 04:27 PM   #1
imfletcher
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘18XC90,‘13A8L->&#

Two keys tied to one profile

My wife and i don't want separate profiles. All that matters is that we each have a seat memory (covered by having 2) and we can each have our phones connected. This key-tied-to-profile with entirely different settings is pretty confusing and frustrating. We swapped drivers and my seat memory wasn't in her profile - why do we insist on this level of complexity in cars? Good lord

However, its not clear how to connect up both keys. Also seems like if there is no key connected it requires a PIN? Can't even imagine how that kind of decision gets made.

Also, and this is another smdh example of usability genius, have you ever gotten in your car, left the door open, hit the On button to play with something, then tried to turn off the car? Can't do it. Have to actually lock it to get iDrive to turn off. No amount of hitting the On/Off button will cycle it back to Off. Even leaving the car and shutting the door has no effect.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
I've got both my keys on my profile and two seat positions saved if that is what you mean?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
imfletcher
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speuk View Post
I've got both my keys on my profile and two seat positions saved if that is what you mean?
How did you get both keys attached to the profile?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
imfletcher
Private
Rep

If you unbind them from keys then it always defaults to Guest and you have to choose the profile when you get in.

If you have a key A bound to a profile A, and unlock with key B and try to switch to profile A, it asks for the username/password to do that. WT flying F? Is this driver profile some kind of bank account?

I guess i will try logging in to A with key B and try also tying A to key B. Seems to be the only way to swap keys and not swap profiles. Guess both of our phones can be logged in as profile A account for remote start.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imfletcher View Post
If you unbind them from keys then it always defaults to Guest and you have to choose the profile when you get in.

If you have a key A bound to a profile A, and unlock with key B and try to switch to profile A, it asks for the username/password to do that. WT flying F? Is this driver profile some kind of bank account?

I guess i will try logging in to A with key B and try also tying A to key B. Seems to be the only way to swap keys and not swap profiles. Guess both of our phones can be logged in as profile A account for remote start.
Yep, it drove me mad for a few days! I think I did exactly what you have described. Used 2nd key to open car then logged into my profile and then licked the car with second key which seemed to link my profile to that key as well as key 1.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:07 PM   #6
imfletcher
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speuk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imfletcher View Post

Yep, it drove me mad for a few days! I think I did exactly what you have described. Used 2nd key to open car then logged into my profile and then licked the car with second key which seemed to link my profile to that key as well as key 1.
Somehow it seemed to disconnect Key A when i tried to attach Key B.

Dunno. I got too frustrated and gave up. May try again. Really stupid system they managed to create
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 10:22 AM   #7
matsn
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

The following worked in my 540i: deactivate "driver recognition". The car will now not automatically select a profile, but the good news is that, regardless of which key you use, you can simply select the profile you want without entering any password or email etc.
Appreciate 0