Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums CANADA New to Forum and Story/Rant

04-26-2019, 04:01 PM   #1
WXdrivefun
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330Xdrive

New to Forum and Story/Rant

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to forum, but a long time Lurker. Here's my 3 series story.

Rant/Story/Research/My Subjective Opinion:

Ever since 2015-2016 time frame there were 'leaks' of the new BMW 3 Series and decided to do some research on the anticipating of the new 3.

Once every few months I would hop from dealership to dealership looking at the F30 3 Series and most of them on show room floor were not optioned to my liking. 'Standard Dakota Leather', 'Essential Packages', 'plain jane paint', 18" rims. Very unappealing and started pay attention to more of these F30 vehicles on the road.

There were very few F30 models with MSport2 packages and Premium/Executive packages with Adaptive LEDs and Extended Merino Leather. Even fewer F30 vehicles with option of Rear heated seats and manual rear sunshades with rear windshield shade. Even, I may not use them, it was a 'nice to have'. At the same time I knew the new G20 was coming so it was matter of patience.

When the F30 generation was new in 2012-2013 a lot of other manufacturers have caught up and exceeded the styling and looks of the benchmark BMW sports sedan during the LCI years of the F30. Was thinking, if I were to get a 3series, would I own an existing model that is already 7 years old in style or decide on something fresh and new with tech, and engine with slightly more HP and Torque?

Went to 5 different dealerships from July to November, time frame to test drive the outgoing F30 model in preparation to compare with the new G20. The first test drive was the Mercedes C300 as baseline. Although, there was not enough seat time each car was slightly different but had a similar feel. Nothing really stood out.

Specs for reference:
2019 W205 C300 [M264 E20 DEH LA Engine]
HP255 Power @ 5,800-6,100 rpm
Torque 273lb-ft @ 1,800-4,000 rpm

2019 G20 330Xdrive. [B46/B48 Engine]
HP255 Power @ 5,000 - 6,500 rpm
Torque 295lb-ft @ 1,550 - 4,400 rpm

1)BMW-Ultra North dealership: There was an M-event that I spontaneously dropped in. Allowed guests to drive 'M" vehicles. That time the M5 was hot on the market. Such a big car heavy car, I test drove the F80 M3. Yes it's louder, powerful, deeper, had 3 different areas identifying your speed, great brakes, but the dual clutch was a major setback in my driving experience. When I step on the gas accelerator, and when the car automatically plans to lurch forward switch gear, you could feel the knotch kickback through the gas pedal. This happened multiple times when gradually stepping gas to the pedal. Another thing is you can only experience the feel of 'M' sound and dynamics on such aggressive and high speeds easily, which one can get into trouble with law enforcement on public roads.

My Conclusion: Too costly, seems this vehicle is meant for closed track more than public urban and suburban roads, especially with the speed limits. Only experience "M" from stop light to stop light, what's the point if you can not unleash potential.

2)Local Mercedes-Benz dealership 2019 W205 C300 Sport package, only had 18" wheels, where 19" was option and was not available for test drive. The purpose was to establish a baseline to compare to see the if there would be any noticeable difference in the HP and Torque on 2019 C300 Mercedes with the outgoing F30 BMW 330xdrive and future G20 330xdrive even though both companies had carry over engines.

The Mercedes C300 was nicely equipped had luxury feel as usual, but the infotainment was a new upgrade with the MBUX software. Having driven the new and the outgoing 330 Xdrive now, the difference is minimal, but you can feel the acceleration the new one more.

3)Mid-City BMW dealership: F30 330Xdrive , Msport I package, 18" rims winter wheels, no paddle shifters maybe sport suspension, since it was only a 10-15 minute test drive along the busiest HWY 401 in the later evening, I was extra attentive to the road and merging of traffic (Not super ideal driving conditions especially after work hours). I had a few moments to open up the engine, but the sound of the engine from within the cabin was more higher tone, Active Sound for sure, but I didn't mind too much and was not noticeable. (Ignorance is bliss before I drove the 340Xdrive). The lack of paddle shifters was confusing when trying to engage more spirited ride with the main shifter, especially with the HWY 401/DVP traffic. I was more concerned about traffic safety than feeling and testing the limits and stability of the car.

4)Westside-City BMW dealership: F30 330Xdrive , MSport II package, 19" rims, with paddle shifters. Road noise was loader maybe because of roads and the All season runflats tires. I was able to have a more relaxed drive to test the vehicle as the traffic was much lighter. Pleasant drive similar feel to 3), The paddle shifters make it easier for more spirited rides. This was the benchmark for the F30 330Xdrive with MsportII.

5)North-West City BMW Dealership: Tested F30 330Xdrive, non-M-sport vs the F30 340Xdrive M-sport back to back on the same route. Yes B58 engine was a delight, definitely a lasting impression even with the Active sound, it was more deeper tone, growl. ZF transmission gear changes was smooth, not knotchy, unlike the M3. Gauges were digital nicely displayed. speedometer was in 3 locations as was the M3. Definitely left a sweet taste of "M-Light' in my memory and mouth. Perfect blend of Performance and spirited driving.

Visiting the Canadian Auto-show in the past years, there were no signs of the G20, until last October 2018 Youtubevideos online and Canadian Autoshow in February 2019. Seeing it person was different experience, although bigger in size due to more leg room in rear and stretched wheelbase, it was a nice new fresh design and had some neat Tech! At first I was disappointed no analog gauges, but that's what's happening across most German automobiles.

Looking at the 330Xdrive M-Sport and the M340, interior wise both were the same, the main jewel of an engine in M340 was the twin scroll single turbo inline 6 B58 engine [382 hp / 369 lb-ft] along with different front bumper and fascia and rear bottom bumper in Tanzanite II Blue Metallic. You can see the Hofmeister kink design language style everywhere: Front Headlights, LEDs, Steering Wheel, center console climate controls, interior Door latch, front bumper, rear windows etc.. A total upgrade from the F30. Voice activation and gesture control as confirmed by the BMW videos. Such a sweet and powerful ride, but outside budget.. boo!

Yes is the new G20 3 series has electronic power steering compared to E46 and E90 generation, but the auto industry is moving forward with fuel economy and cost reduction. Less mechanical feel, but we are not stuck in the early 1990s or 2000s we need to progress and the engineers have taken lessons learned from early F30 generation and refined the electric power steering, dynamics and engine well for a modern 2019 3 series vehicle. Note: I am comparing and coming from a 2011 2.5L Mazda 3 with hydraulic power assist steering.

Engineering and technologies always change, time take a risk to embrace the new, given the past!

I wanted to see experience the tech and advancements from German engineering. The larger engine B58 in the 340[outside budget for me, although known for the history and heritage of 6 cylinders and turbo 6 cylinders, maybe someday affordable] and S55 (M3) [way outside budget and over kill for DailyDriving, can't unleash potential, can get into trouble by law enforcement], B48 4 cylinder was nice peppy, sufficient for Daily driving, based on test drives.

TLDR:

Researched, Test drove F80 M3, Mercedes C300, test drove F30 330Xdrive with and without M-Sport packages, decided to go with new G20 330Xdrive.

Not a fan of Audis, but overall, between the base engine series of Mercedes and BMW. The differences are not dramatic, only the fit finish and styles: BMW more minimalist and modern styling with the IPA, other Mercedes more luxurious feel. You can't go wrong with either. Based on the history heritage of BMW being the Ultimate Driving Machine, manual transmission of previous generation 3 series, and selling of the M240 and M2 competition, along with the new and modern 3 series I decided to go with the G20 3 Series

Definitely excited to update and join the BMW family. My new G20 BMW 330 Xdrive is on boat and can't wait.

Part 2 Continues..
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2019, 04:16 PM   #2
WXdrivefun
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

So my build as follows:

TANZANITE BLUE II METALLIC (PORTIMAO BLUE METALLIC little to light and dramatic, wanted an individual and an M3 colour from the last generation)
M SPORT PACKAGE
PREMIUM EXCELLENCE PACKAGE
BLACK/BLUE STITCHING, VERNASCA LEATHER UPHOLSTERY
ADAPTIVE M SUSPENSION
M SPORT BRAKES
BMW GESTURE CONTROL
WALKNAPPA LEATHER DASHBOARD
Black Kidneys and shadowline

Decided to get most of the options except for the following:

-SMOKER'S PACKAGE
-M SPORT DIFFERENTIAL (Didn't feel the need as I don't race but allows for aggressive cornering)

Overall I'm taking big risk about being the first generation model with the new tech and Idrive 7, only time will tell of future and major issue recalls.

Thanks for listening/reading.

Feel free to comment on your 3 series!

Last edited by WXdrivefun; 04-26-2019 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 07:01 PM   #3
MLBMW
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2

Your new car configuration is great; good for you!
I would not be overly concerned about getting a car in it's first year, especially from BMW, and not in 2019. This was an industry issue to consider 20 or 30 years ago, but not now.
I have a 2017 340 XI, with a lot of the M Performance kit, including MPPK (engine power), MPE (exhaust) and the M brakes; 6 speed manual transmission. 355 HP (I don't recall the torque at the moment; I do recall it was slightly less with the manual than it would be with the automatic).
Tanzanite Blue; a beautiful colour (not sure what is different with Tanzanite Blue II?) that I have received many compliments on! Merino Amaro Brown interior; beautiful; also many compliments!
As I love having the manual transmission so much, I will probably pass on the G20 M340 (and many other new models from other brands) for now and keep my 2017 for a few more years.

Last edited by MLBMW; 05-18-2019 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Changed comment on similarity of colours. OP has black interior and I have brown,
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 09:49 PM   #4
WXdrivefun
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks,

Yes I am fully aware, 1st generations are much of gamble. No risk, no reward..

Anyways from my research the B48/B46 Engine has been out since 2016 replacing the N20/N22 4 cylinder engine. So far from the F30 forums, I didn't hear any major issues with the B48/B46 engine.

Good solid transmission ZF 8 speed has been used for a few years also on the 2 series as well. (If I were to get manual it would be on a 2 series/ M2 Competition, ultimate compact driver's car, IMO)

Going over the F30 forums, let's hope none of the following gets repeated:

-Valve cover gasket
-Fuel pump
-Blower fan A/C
-Rust under the seats
-Annoying friction and noise from the door weather seals
-Timing chain for N20/N22 engine

Issues so far G20:
-Bluetooth connectivity and Apple car-play disconnecting/connecting

Anticipated issues:
-Cold weather in Canada could effect electronics/screens, response rate and sensors..

Last edited by WXdrivefun; 05-20-2019 at 07:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 12:38 AM   #5
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

That was a great writeup, thanks for sharing.

I only spent 2 days from selling my previous F30, to researching 2016/2017 F30 CPOs, to test driving G20 330i, M340i, 330e, 228i GC, to grabbing my 330i that arrived at dealer with 5 miles.

Before that I was all set to pick up a Model 3, but Tesla had no car for me.

I also test drove C300 Sport, for some reason the G20 kinks were more appealing than C300 circular vents to me.

The 228i GC was promising, but it really was an expensive FWD Civic ....

The M340i was very cool, it just was a bit front heavy(200+lb extra over front axle), so it was not as sharp at curves than 330i.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2021, 04:18 PM   #6
WXdrivefun
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
That was a great writeup, thanks for sharing.

I only spent 2 days from selling my previous F30, to researching 2016/2017 F30 CPOs, to test driving G20 330i, M340i, 330e, 228i GC, to grabbing my 330i that arrived at dealer with 5 miles.

Before that I was all set to pick up a Model 3, but Tesla had no car for me.

I also test drove C300 Sport, for some reason the G20 kinks were more appealing than C300 circular vents to me.

The 228i GC was promising, but it really was an expensive FWD Civic ....

The M340i was very cool, it just was a bit front heavy(200+lb extra over front axle), so it was not as sharp at curves than 330i.
Agree with the sharpness, on the 330i for the steering due to lighter weight and newer power steering.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 04:26 PM   #7
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXdrivefun View Post
Agree with the sharpness, on the 330i for the steering due to lighter weight and newer power steering.
I started a thread to discuss G20 DP vs APA steering, it is an interesting topic.

It appears that the steering difference of 330i vs. M340i at corners is mainly due to weight(and its distribution) instead of DP vs. APA, as both have similar R&P steering pinion.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1869149
Appreciate 0