BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > 2017 6MT Fill and Drain Plugs

04-23-2019, 12:38 PM   #1
Gabhart
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

2017 6MT Fill and Drain Plugs

I would like change the fluid in my 2017 manual transmission and I have read it is recommended to change out the drain and fill plugs along with the associated washers. I have spend a considerable time searching for the part numbers and a place (short of the dealer who wants $26 for EACH plug) to source these with no luck.

Any assistance would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

RealOEM doesn't appear to list the plugs as separate items, and New TIS just says undo them and retorque. So maybe just reuse.

Why do you want to change as a matter of interest?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

Replace the washers for sure but I've never head of drain and fill plugs being one time use.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #4
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Don't see how plugs would be replaced since they're not torque to yield on a structural part such as the large bolts that hold the belly pan on the front underside of the car
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 05:12 AM   #5
Gabhart
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
RealOEM doesn't appear to list the plugs as separate items, and New TIS just says undo them and retorque. So maybe just reuse.

Why do you want to change as a matter of interest?

I purchased the car used and do not want to pay to transfer the dealer provided maintenance to my name. I like to do my own maintenance anyway and I am not satisfied with the few records available on past service.

Regardless of what the cars computer says for maintenance intervals I want to start a baseline where I know services were done. As long as I keep records and receipts I should be good from a warranty perspective.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 05:14 AM   #6
Gabhart
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSean View Post
Replace the washers for sure but I've never head of drain and fill plugs being one time use.
I read the same replacement recommendation for the differential drain and fill as well. I have never replaced the plugs on any previous car, just the washers which I think I will stick with.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 06:49 AM   #7
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabhart View Post
I purchased the car used and do not want to pay to transfer the dealer provided maintenance to my name. I like to do my own maintenance anyway and I am not satisfied with the few records available on past service.

Regardless of what the cars computer says for maintenance intervals I want to start a baseline where I know services were done. As long as I keep records and receipts I should be good from a warranty perspective.
Fair enough, although any BMW dealership should be able to pull the service record of your car and give you a print out.

Unless someone has already been in it, the MT currently has FFL fluid in it though, so it shouldn't need changing for some years. HTH.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 06:57 AM   #8
Gabhart
Private
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough, although any BMW dealership should be able to pull the service record of your car and give you a print out.

Unless someone has already been in it, the MT currently has FFL fluid in it though, so it shouldn't need changing for some years. HTH.
A dealer did print out the service records and from what we can determine the service indicator was reset at 830 miles (no mention of the break in service being performed which is concerning) and a engine oil change at 7800 miles. That's it. Car currently has 9500 miles on it.

I need to do some more searching but I thought the manual transmission oil on M cars is supposed to be changed at 1200 miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 08:22 AM   #9
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabhart View Post
Quote:

A dealer did print out the service records and from what we can determine the service indicator was reset at 830 miles (no mention of the break in service being performed which is concerning) and a engine oil change at 7800 miles. That's it. Car currently has 9500 miles on it.

I need to do some more searching but I thought the manual transmission oil on M cars is supposed to be changed at 1200 miles.
The M2 never had transmission fluid changed as part of break in service. The break in only covered engine oil and diff fluid (diff is very important in my opinion)

Like the others have said the MT fluid is considered a lifetime fluid so whether or not you want to change is totally up to you.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910910.50
      04-24-2019, 09:28 AM   #10
Gabhart
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
The M2 never had transmission fluid changed as part of break in service. The break in only covered engine oil and diff fluid (diff is very important in my opinion)

Like the others have said the MT fluid is considered a lifetime fluid so whether or not you want to change is totally up to you.
Thanks for the info. I was a little confused by my over researching these things. I will stick with just the engine oil and rear diff fluid changes for now.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 03:11 PM   #11
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Historically, BMW has not considered 6MT fluid lifetime. All M's had a 6MT fluid change as part of the 1200 mile break-in until until the F80/82 I believe. It was in the car's instruction/maintenance manual. But this is when BMW had a more comprehensive, and longer, free maintenance program. If you plan to keep the car a while, I'd do the flush. Personally, I see it as BMW cutting corners because it won't be their problem down the road. I'm planning to have the dealer flush my 6MT fluid at my 1200 mile break-in. It's not that expensive, and I'm happy to pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 03:02 AM   #12
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

The 6MT in the E46 from 2002 had lifetime fill (and a sticker on the casing that says the same) - MTF LT-2. Possibly the local dealerships change this stuff to meet customer expectations in NA.
Appreciate 0