E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Hand Wash Tips

06-26-2005, 02:58 AM   #1
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Hand Wash Tips

Okay folks, another question for the detailing experts. This is the first car I'll have that I'll actually give a damn about how the paint looks and keeps. So I will most likely be hand washing it.

Now, what are your routines or tips for washing at home that prevent dust scratches, spots from drying, etc.

What implement is best to use to soap and actually wash the car? What soap to use? Any?

What's best to use to dry the car?

I will probably need to wash right after my 1200 mile drive a few days after I pick up the car. If I don't end up getting that nosemask there will be an obscene amount of bugs splattered on the grille and hood of my car.
      06-26-2005, 12:02 PM   #2
agarbati
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, Saph Blk 330i

Always start from the roof and come down. I use a chenille mitt to lather the car, using plenty of soap water and not pushing down hard while applying the soap. For the bugs I would recommend spraying on a bug remover about 15min before you wash the car to make them easy to remove and then make sure to polish the areas on which you applied the remover. Don't scrub the car to remove the bugs.

I usually go roof, front and rear horizontal surfaces, upper half of panels all around the car, rinse.

Door windows, then lower half of panels all around car, then front and rear bumpers, tires at the end, rinse.

I used to use the California blade and just used it once on my E90 but have switched to two or three Meguiar's sauna towels for the drying. For washing the car I go with Meguiars gel or Gold class wash. You could try the Zaino Z-7. One coat of Zaino Z-5 or Z-2 at the end and the car looks like new, oh wait, it still is new! I wonder how the the car will look after a couple of years.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2005, 02:43 PM   #3
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
This is what I do...

I always wash the interior first; dash, windows, carpet door jams and the inner trunk(I use simple green). Next I do the rims/tires and lower rocker panels front and rear bumper(I use Zaino soap). Rinse, get a new bucket of soap(I use Zaino soap) for the body of the car. I always start at the hood and work my way to the trunk, washing the side door windows, mirrors along the way, rinse. Then I start at the front of the car and work my way around the whole car and rinse(I use the pour setting of the nozzel for the rinse instead of the spray, it leaves harldly any water spots). I use the absorber to dry the car, then open all doors, hood and trunk to dry off any water. I then use Zaino detail spray on the body and finish the windows with cleaner. After that, I dry the rims off with a clean rag and I apply tire dressing(I use Meguires High Endurance Tire Gel, Extra Gloss, 2 coats) and I think I'm done...usually around 2.5 to 3 hours.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 01:00 AM   #4
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Yeah definitely wanna go roof down. Okay thanks I guess I will look for some chenille and some sauna towels, whatever those are

You pick those up at a Pep Boys or what?
      06-27-2005, 01:07 AM   #5
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
I always wash the interior first; dash, windows, carpet door jams and the inner trunk(I use simple green). Next I do the rims/tires and lower rocker panels front and rear bumper(I use Zaino soap). Rinse, get a new bucket of soap(I use Zaino soap) for the body of the car. I always start at the hood and work my way to the trunk, washing the side door windows, mirrors along the way, rinse. Then I start at the front of the car and work my way around the whole car and rinse(I use the pour setting of the nozzel for the rinse instead of the spray, it leaves harldly any water spots). I use the absorber to dry the car, then open all doors, hood and trunk to dry off any water. I then use Zaino detail spray on the body and finish the windows with cleaner. After that, I dry the rims off with a clean rag and I apply tire dressing(I use Meguires High Endurance Tire Gel, Extra Gloss, 2 coats) and I think I'm done...usually around 2.5 to 3 hours.

Danny

What type of "Zaino detail spray" do you use?

What is the Zaino "#"

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 10:02 AM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Cotton wash mitt. Start on the roof and windows down to the door panel, then rinse. Hit the hood and start around the sides, rinse about 1/2 way through depending on sun. Rinse whole car again. Trunk and other side, rinse whole car again. Then wash two wheels, start at valve and do each gap, rub the tire itself, even wipe down the inner edge of the wheel well, rinse whole car again, then finish the last two tires, rinse whole car AGAIN. Fast down the driveway, hit the breaks, then back into the carport to dry. Chamios, open each door as I go by (help hear tunes) then trunk and hood edges. Finish on the rims. Ring out the chamois and put it in the trunk then go for a little cruise. When you get back home or stop somewhere, a final wipe with the chamois to get any last drops that the wind blew out.
Right now I use Maguires Gold class, the Zaino pack should arrive today.
For bugs, once you get the first coat of them off and it is TOTALLY clean, apply (insert wax of your choice) and then they come off so much easier.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 11:43 AM   #7
agarbati
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, Saph Blk 330i

Armen52 ,Pep Boys has the Meguiar's thick sauna towels. A little pricey but I think worth it.

hunter399@mac.com, I think Danny is referrring to the Z-6 Zaino detailer although I would be interested in comments about the Z-8.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 12:51 PM   #8
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399@mac.com
What type of "Zaino detail spray" do you use?

What is the Zaino "#"

Thanks!
I'm sorry, I use the Z6, but when I reorder, I will get the Z8!

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 10:51 PM   #9
tima
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i ZSP/TiAg/Blk

Quote:
What implement is best to use to soap and actually wash the car?
For many years I've used the boar's hair brush from Griot's Garage for soap washing. Very soft, wood handle, lasts seemingly forever. Kinda pricey, but well worth it, imo.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1001&SKU=66073
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 11:57 PM   #10
bookman2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i SP, PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52
Okay folks, another question for the detailing experts. This is the first car I'll have that I'll actually give a damn about how the paint looks and keeps. So I will most likely be hand washing it.

Now, what are your routines or tips for washing at home that prevent dust scratches, spots from drying, etc.

What implement is best to use to soap and actually wash the car? What soap to use? Any?

What's best to use to dry the car?

I will probably need to wash right after my 1200 mile drive a few days after I pick up the car. If I don't end up getting that nosemask there will be an obscene amount of bugs splattered on the grille and hood of my car.
Pick up a copy of the Haynes Automotive Detailing Manual from Bavarian Autosport (www.bavauto.com) and you will never go wrong in this area of car care again.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2005, 12:00 AM   #11
bookman2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i SP, PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima
For many years I've used the boar's hair brush from Griot's Garage for soap washing. Very soft, wood handle, lasts seemingly forever. Kinda pricey, but well worth it, imo.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1001&SKU=66073
Very good point. Griot's has excellent products. Pricey but well worth it.
Appreciate 0