BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Windsheild Replacment HUD blurry?

04-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
M5KC
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 (F90)

Garage List
2018 M5  [0.00]
Windsheild Replacment HUD blurry?

In January I caught a rock to the corner of my windshield on my shiny new M5. Called a local dealer (BMW South Kansas City) and was told (sold) that the only choice was BMW glass. Took a deep breath, paid the $1800+ installation.

Less than 30 days later the glass cracked. Clearly not from an impact - it was split right down the middle of the windshield starting at the review mirror - nevertheless, they wouldn't replace the glass so I took option two and went with Safelite and insurance.

Glass looks exactly like OEM (minus the BMW stamp) however, it seems like my HUD is blurry. I could be being paranoid but thought I'd post here to see if anyone has had a similar experience and, if so, recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

that sounds wild..

this may or may not be a stupid suggestion, but maybe they rubbed some type of cleaner on the glass and it is distorting the HUD?
Appreciate 1
M5KC6.50
      04-16-2019, 06:54 PM   #3
M5KC
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 (F90)

Garage List
2018 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
that sounds wild..

this may or may not be a stupid suggestion, but maybe they rubbed some type of cleaner on the glass and it is distorting the HUD?
Not a stupid question at all. After driving today realized it's more than just blurry, it's distorted. Navigation and media menus are getting cut off. Adjusted height and rotation. It's like a projector that's been moved slightly off screen.

Probably another visit to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 06:55 AM   #4
utsteve98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Did you tell them you had a HUD on your car when they replaced the windshield? HUDs requires a completely polarized windshield. See link:

https://www.safelite.com/windshield-...ads-up-display
Appreciate 1
M5KC6.50
      04-18-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

You ended up paying TWICE?????? Dealer told you to pound sand? New windshield split down the middle? WTF? That happened probably due to improper installation. There is either a point of impact or not. Does your insurance not cover glass? Perhaps add glass coverage? If possible you should have immediately called credit card company and disputed the payment to the dealer. You have a month or more to do that. That's BS. BMW should have eaten the second windshield just to be decent to a customer. They clearly don't give a hoot (put in a different word here) about selling you another car.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 1
M5KC6.50