F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 440 / F33 / B58 - MPE, CG DS-1 Downpipe, and Bootmod3 Review with Soundclip
ARMA SPEED

04-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
ScubaJ813
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Xdrive Convertible

440 / F33 / B58 - MPE, CG DS-1 Downpipe, and Bootmod3 Review with Soundclip

My car is a 2018 440i xdrive convertible. First car I have attempted to mod.
I had BMW install the MPE exhaust, which at the time was a mistake as I didn't understand the physical difference from the MPE and MPPSK. I picked up the Dinan Elite V1 which was great, no problems. Dinan Intake after that.

After about 9 months with the Dinan, their stage 2 not in sight, and with a bad taste in my mouth already from the release of the V2 version... I started looking at other routes.

I was going to go with the MP tune but started reading about BM3 during the beta and was sold. That meant ability to do the down pipe and narrowed it down to Precision CG DS-1 or Akropovic. One of the main things is I didn't want to deal with the CEL. I wanted catted because of the smell and being a convertible.

Precision CG DS-1
So install was a bitch on my car. It took me a total of 4 hours, half of which was just getting the OEM downpipe out. Not sure if it was worse because my car is xdrive and a convertible, or inexperience, but the clearance for the downpipe removal was ridiculous.

I was able to unbolt the OEM downpipe from the bracket support and top clamp at the turbo from the hood without removing the airbox. Didn't need any special tools. Unbolting the midpipe clamp was simple as well.

As mentioned above, that's where simplicity stopped. Simply unbolting the midpipe brace near the clamp wasn't enough and had to also unbolt the bracket next to the muffler to drop it completely. Between the diameter of the cat, the openings, midpipe, and sensors... made wiggling it out extremely frustrating. I had the car on ramps, which added to the frustration due to lack of space. Two hours later. two trips to the store, and almost shearing off the sensor wire, I got it out.

Once out, swapping the sensors and installing the CG DS-1 downpipe was extremely easy. I did not need a pipe expanding tool or anything to get it to fit. The fit of this product was GREAT. Installing it took me 15 minutes.

PROS:

Sound: Definite improvement.
Quality/Fit: No complaints, looked, felt, and installed perfectly.
Price: Meh, but half the cost of Akropovic.
Power: No numbers but definitely felt a dramatic increase early in the RPM band.

CONS:

CEL: Half the reason I picked the DS-1 was the low chance of a CEL. Not guaranteed like Akropovic. Read many people had 1000's of miles with no CEL.... I GOT A CEL IN LESS THAN 100 MILES. I can't discount that having the Dinan S1 could of perpetuated this.
Smell: TBD - Smell is a bit rough when at a standstill with top down but expected somewhat. I'll update later giving it some time to adapt.

Bootmod3 Stage 2 93
Install... 15 minutes, including the sub-5 minutes that the initial flash took.
Power-gain-feel was amazing over Dinan S1. More power, and much smoother. Extremely satisfied with this purchase. Great price to value.

I'll update with dyno numbers when I schedule it.

Now for the soundclip.
Both shot in Sport+.
BM3 set to 2.5s burbles on max aggression.
Stock midpipe with both resonators. (Those will likely be going soon.)

04-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #2
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

Nice i had this combo, but switched to a vrsf catless. How did you manage to put your oem tail pipes on this puppy?
      04-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #3
ScubaJ813
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Xdrive Convertible

No telling. The BMW guys installed them on the MPE without asking me. When they ordered the MPE, they never asked about the tailpipes to go with it and at the time I didn't know they were a separate purchase.
      04-13-2019, 02:32 AM   #4
B58
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaJ813 View Post
No telling. The BMW guys installed them on the MPE without asking me. When they ordered the MPE, they never asked about the tailpipes to go with it and at the time I didn't know they were a separate purchase.
Haha really? I could hardly fit the BMS tips over the mpe before buying the actual oem I cant imagine those...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #5
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Thanks for sharing! Sounds great. I suppose you got unlucky with that CEL, but it may be worth double checking your installation since this is very rarely reported.
I've got the same DP on order for my 335i, also running MPE /w res delete. For the CEL, I think you could add an O2 spacer simulator or mini cat if you wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
Nice i had this combo, but switched to a vrsf catless. How did you manage to put your oem tail pipes on this puppy?
How was your experience with the CG DS1 DP? I assume you switched to VRSF for less restriction.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 05:14 PM   #6
B58
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post

How was your experience with the CG DS1 DP? I assume you switched to VRSF for less restriction.

CG 5" down-pipe is the best on the market no doubt. I loved it and sound wise it's the same as the VRSF 4.5" catless except the catless smells like shit and it pops and bangs a little more. I only switched over because i didn't want to damage the cat on the CG pushing meth and soon a Pure turbo.
mlev370.00