F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > CIC replacement coding question.
Studio RSR

04-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
fingerbib2000
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

CIC replacement coding question.

Car is 2012 F31, HU is CIC as far as I can tell and there is no Combox in the rear.

My L7 Basic CD unit (Rear Camera, PDC, No Nav, BT Phone only) kept rebooting and was unresponsive (all controls such as Volume and IDrive controller freeze after a second) so I decided to buy a similar unit (I assume they are compatible although donor unit, from a 1 series I believe, says "Entry CB" on sticker while the original unit says "Entry CB RFK") on Ebay to replace it.

When swapping them out the donor unit is stuck on the "BMW" logo screen but with radio static (the volume knob works).

Can someone provide a little guidance as to what to do next? I've been searching the forums for days but cannot find guides on coding/registering a different unit that's registered to another VIN. I'm guessing I use the codes of the original head unit on the donor unit then somehow flash my car's VIN but I can't find any info on exactly what to do...

Can someone please help me troubleshoot?

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #2
ahm.r
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 116i 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerbib2000 View Post
Car is 2012 F31, HU is CIC as far as I can tell and there is no Combox in the rear.

My L7 Basic CD unit (Rear Camera, PDC, No Nav, BT Phone only) kept rebooting and was unresponsive (all controls such as Volume and IDrive controller freeze after a second) so I decided to buy a similar unit (I assume they are compatible although donor unit, from a 1 series I believe, says "Entry CB" on sticker while the original unit says "Entry CB RFK") on Ebay to replace it.

When swapping them out the donor unit is stuck on the "BMW" logo screen but with radio static (the volume knob works).

Can someone provide a little guidance as to what to do next? I've been searching the forums for days but cannot find guides on coding/registering a different unit that's registered to another VIN. I'm guessing I use the codes of the original head unit on the donor unit then somehow flash my car's VIN but I can't find any info on exactly what to do...

Can someone please help me troubleshoot?

Many thanks!
I have the same problem and the same head unit as yours, have you solved your problem?
I am new here and need help with this problem thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 07:44 AM   #3
fingerbib2000
Rep

No, nothing yet. Did you replace the head unit? What was wrong with your original unit?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 07:38 AM   #4
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Even if the donor unit is still activated and coded to another VIN, it should still boot up without any problems.

Are you sure that you do not have a combox? All CICs on the F3x have comboxes otherwise Bluetooth will not work.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2019, 06:51 AM   #5
fingerbib2000
Rep

I only have bluetooth voice, not media, see link for pic of the rear of my F31...might the combox be located elsewhere? I have a European F31 FYI.

View post on imgur.com

So even if the donor unit is from F20 and slightly different to the original (all the connectors match), it should still boot correctly? I'll need to return the donor unit this as faulty then I guess...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #6
MA25z
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F20

I'm in a similar predicament, having replaced my f20 head unit with a like for like updated part number but the new head head unit does not seem to be linked up to my car successfully. I only get radio to play, all other features have gone missing and the volume control even does not react.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 09:45 AM   #7
fingerbib2000
Rep

Are you also just seeing the BMW screen or is it blank?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #8
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I only have bluetooth voice, not media, see link for pic of the rear of my F31...might the combox be located elsewhere? I have a European F31 FYI.

View post on imgur.com

So even if the donor unit is from F20 and slightly different to the original (all the connectors match), it should still boot correctly? I'll need to return the donor unit this as faulty then I guess...
I would say the donor unit may be faulty.

We connect CICs and ENTRY units to our bench all the time and they do boot to the main screen even without a combox connected.

If you can provide me with the last 7 digits of your VIN, I can check and confirm if you have a combox. Some vehicles have them mounted on the sidewall and not by the fusebox behind the carpet liner.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:27 AM   #9
fingerbib2000
Rep

VIN is F194200, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 07:39 AM   #10
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
VIN is F194200, thank you.
You do have a combox since you have 6AA and 6AB.

Check the right sidewall and see if it's there.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #11
fingerbib2000
Rep

Thanks for the clarification.

I opened the first side panel on the right nearest the trunk opening (see picture) but can't find anything that looks like the typical silver Combox or the black bluetooth module. Does the blue connector (Purple box in attached picture) connect to it?

I fear it's somewhere behind the 2nd panel, which is secured by what might be a T45 torx bolt (green box in the picture) that seems to be fastened *very* tight...I don't have the tools to remove that at the moment. Do you think it's behind that?

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #12
fingerbib2000
Rep

So I removed the other piece above and no combox seems to be there either...Any other ideas where it could be? Are you certain there *is* a combox with this model, despite the codes above?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 05:24 AM   #13
ahm.r
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 116i 2012

yes i have purchased a gift from ebay with the same head unti and mounted in the car everything worked fine but my bluetooth does not work, i wonder if i have to code the new head unit or not and how does it do?
I have e-net cable and e-sys program but I lack knowledge.
Can you help me with this problem because I have no bluetooth right now?
I'm grateful for all the help I can get.
Min VIN är E605335.
my original problem was that my head unit started over and over again i could only see black screen with bmw logo and hear the radio.

Last edited by ahm.r; 05-04-2019 at 05:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:11 PM   #14
bo0tn1c
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA25z View Post
I'm in a similar predicament, having replaced my f20 head unit with a like for like updated part number but the new head head unit does not seem to be linked up to my car successfully. I only get radio to play, all other features have gone missing and the volume control even does not react.
such features like voice control will not work until you get fsc codes for your vin, as your donor unit has the fsc codes for the donor car.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 07:22 PM   #15
LeoKiker
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328iX

I have a similar issue my 328iX 2013. Replaced the Radio unit from a donor car maybe 2 years newer however the volume nob is not working also tire pressure system reset is not working it seems that the VIN is still coded to the old car is there a way to reset the new module to my VIN ?
Thanks
Appreciate 0