BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Executive Package worth it?

04-10-2019, 10:29 PM   #1
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Executive Package worth it?

I'm narrowing down the spec on my 5C and aside from the exterior color, this is pretty much the last thing I'm trying to decide on. The front ventilated seats is almost enough to justify it for me. I'll be daily driving and tracking this car. The slight added weight from the executive package doesn't seem like it will really effect the car in the corners considering it's already a heifer.

Seems silly to not get it but I'm wondering what you guys think? Are you glad you got it? Regret it? Wish you got it?

How are the massage seats?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 10:38 PM   #2
kdeleon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

I think that the package is definitely worth it. But the ventilated seats would not be one of the reasons to get it. They stink. They don’t seem to cool anything on hot days. I had a Cadillac as a rental and those cooled seats were great.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 10:42 PM   #3
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeleon View Post
I think that the package is definitely worth it. But the ventilated seats would not be one of the reasons to get it. They stink. They don’t seem to cool anything on hot days. I had a Cadillac as a rental and those cooled seats were great.
That's disappointing. Funny enough, I had a CTS-V with ventilated seats for a few weeks and in the summer it was the best thing in the world. What about it is worth it then? Aside from the massage seats, the other options don't do much for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:57 PM   #4
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

If you were considering it for the ventilated seats then I'd skip it. They actually blow hot air in the summer in particular when the cabin is warm. I went for the exec package to get the massage seats since I drive some serious miles and really appreciate the anti fatigue of the seat moving around. It's not a massage feature it's really just active seating.
Appreciate 1
NYG10579.50
      04-12-2019, 11:17 AM   #5
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

The massage seat functions works really well.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 1
NYG10579.50
      04-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #6
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST3 View Post
If you were considering it for the ventilated seats then I'd skip it. They actually blow hot air in the summer in particular when the cabin is warm. I went for the exec package to get the massage seats since I drive some serious miles and really appreciate the anti fatigue of the seat moving around. It's not a massage feature it's really just active seating.
The ventilated seats don't blow hot air per se, they blow whatever happens to be there. If it's cold, they'll blow cold. If you farted, you get the point (makes the sunroof a necessity).

It's ventilation, not cooling. It does work since it helps prevent sweating which is the start of a vicious cycle. I also use heat and ventilation at the same time--BMW is one of the only manufacturers to allow that... again, useful because it helps prevent sweating.

My last M6 GC had active seats--that definitely wasn't massage. My current M5 has the massage seats and I'd say they're somewhere between active seat and massage--they don't quite qualify for the latter because the pressure is insufficient in my opinion.

The exec package provides:
  1. Wireless Charging
  2. Active Park Distance Control
  3. Power rear sunshade & rear side window shades
  4. 4-zone automatic climate control
  5. Front and Rear Heated Seats
  6. Soft-close automatic doors
  7. Parking Assistant Plus
  8. Front ventilated seats
  9. Front massaging seats
  10. Surround View w/ 3D View

... of which I'd say 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 10 justify its purchase. The others are nice to haves... but the whole damned car is a nice to have so load it up!
Appreciate 1
NYG10579.50
      04-12-2019, 12:02 PM   #7
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
There are so many features this option provides it’s a non-starter.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
The ventilated seats don't blow hot air per se, they blow whatever happens to be there. If it's cold, they'll blow cold. If you farted, you get the point (makes the sunroof a necessity).

It's ventilation, not cooling. It does work since it helps prevent sweating which is the start of a vicious cycle. I also use heat and ventilation at the same time--BMW is one of the only manufacturers to allow that... again, useful because it helps prevent sweating.

My last M6 GC had active seats--that definitely wasn't massage. My current M5 has the massage seats and I'd say they're somewhere between active seat and massage--they don't quite qualify for the latter because the pressure is insufficient in my opinion.

1. Wireless Charging
  9. Front massaging seats

... of which I'd say 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 10 justify its purchase. The others are nice to haves... but the whole damned car is a nice to have so load it up!
The massaging seats are really the only appealing thing here for me. Do the ventilated seats at least prevent back sweat?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 12:41 PM   #9
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Quote:

1. Wireless Charging
  9. Front massaging seats

The massaging seats are really the only appealing thing here for me. Do the ventilated seats at least prevent back sweat?
Yup. That's a big part of my earlier reply.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #10
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate it, I think I'll end up getting it.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #11
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I appreciate it, I think I'll end up getting it.
The surround view camera is awesome, too.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 03:28 PM   #12
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Wireless Charging - awesome feature for me, iPhone always charged
Active Park Distance Control - very useful
Power rear sunshade & rear side window shades - nice touch, good to keep the sun off the kids
4-zone automatic climate control - don't care
Front and Rear Heated Seats - great in winter, passengers appreciate it
Soft-close automatic doors - I like this a lot
Parking Assistant Plus - neat feature
Front ventilated seats - does help to cool seats if you blast cold air at the floorboards. Does In fact reduce back sweat.
Front massaging seats - I like this
Surround View w/ 3D View - great feature

I think it's actually ridiculous to not include this package in a car at this price point. Not only are the features themselves pretty great, I imagine it would put the resale value completely into the toilet to overlook this.
      04-12-2019, 03:36 PM   #13
SpeedyDad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Garage List
2003 E39 M5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
I have not regretted getting this package for one second. I think it's a must have package for this car. I have little kids, so the sunshades and soft close doors alone are incredibly handy.
Sold - 2018 M5
Appreciate 1
NYG10579.50
      04-12-2019, 04:26 PM   #14
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Quote:

1. Wireless Charging
  9. Front massaging seats

ONLY in the winter. I really mean it when I say it blows hot air in the summer. Super disappointing having had actual cooled seats in GM SUVs. To be fair BMW does call them ventilated not cooled. Still surprising in a car at this price range.
Appreciate 2
bear04059.00
NYG10579.50
      04-12-2019, 05:15 PM   #15
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpsy View Post
Wireless Charging - awesome feature for me, iPhone always charged
Active Park Distance Control - very useful
Power rear sunshade & rear side window shades - nice touch, good to keep the sun off the kids
4-zone automatic climate control - don't care
Front and Rear Heated Seats - great in winter, passengers appreciate it
Soft-close automatic doors - I like this a lot
Parking Assistant Plus - neat feature
Front ventilated seats - does help to cool seats if you blast cold air at the floorboards. Does In fact reduce back sweat.
Front massaging seats - I like this
Surround View w/ 3D View - great feature

I think it's actually ridiculous to not include this package in a car at this price point. Not only are the features themselves pretty great, I imagine it would put the resale value completely into the toilet to overlook this.
Nod, +1

The wireless charging seems great until you realize they sized the wireless charging bay for phones without cases.. or integrated wallets in my case. My AMG's wireless charger was great and I thought my M5's would be the same only to lean that my phone didn't fit. Grrrrr...
Appreciate 1
NYG10579.50
      04-14-2019, 09:56 PM   #16
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

So I was able to experience the ventilated seats and the massage seats today and I was incredibly disappointed. The MB S550/560 is so much better. I'm really thinking executive might not be for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #17
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I was able to experience the ventilated seats and the massage seats today and I was incredibly disappointed. The MB S550/560 is so much better. I'm really thinking executive might not be for me.
Hmmm, I still think that's a mistake. Resale is one consideration. The second is everything else it provides: the ventilation does its job; the massage prevents back ache but doesn't fix it; the other features quickly become useful multiple times per day and will be treated by others as table stakes.

I doubt you'll find a car pre-built without it. If you build it as such, it might impact the potential buyer's market down the road.

TBH, I'm not clear why you're so focused on this one package; it's icing on the cake and barely dents the off-the-lot price.
Appreciate 1
NYG10579.50
      04-14-2019, 10:40 PM   #18
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm, I still think that's a mistake. Resale is one consideration. The second is everything else it provides: the ventilation does its job; the massage prevents back ache but doesn't fix it; the other features quickly become useful multiple times per day and will be treated by others as table stakes.

I doubt you'll find a car pre-built without it. If you build it as such, it might impact the potential buyer's market down the road.

TBH, I'm not clear why you're so focused on this one package; it's icing on the cake and barely dents the off-the-lot price.
You're right. I'll still end up getting it, most likely.

In reality I just expected more.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4423.50
      04-14-2019, 11:36 PM   #19
M5M3911lover
Rep
Drives: M5- M3- Panamera

You are spending more thank 100k on a car. What’s a few more thousand to get a nice massage everytime you drive!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 07:08 AM   #20
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5M3911lover View Post
You are spending more thank 100k on a car. What’s a few more thousand to get a nice massage everytime you drive!
B I N G O.

Get the sunroof too. And the stereo upgrade. And winter mats. And snow tires. And a spare. .......

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #21
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

At this price point for a car, it's a must. B&W, Full leather is also a MUST. However, I disagree with Aronis...no sunroof. Carbon fiber roof looks awesome on this car...especially when it's a contrast to the exterior paint choice.
      04-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #22
norbtx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

I agree, it should have been standard at this price point.