BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Auto-Hold and Rear View Mirror Camera Display

04-04-2019, 10:56 PM   #1
swenzi
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 Escalad / 17 Panamera Turbo

Auto-Hold and Rear View Mirror Camera Display

Just curious if the X7 has these two features that are becoming more common in more and more mid-tier vehicles.

Auto Hold will hold the brake at traffic light without you pressing on the brake pedal. Rear view mirror camera display will have the rear view mirror display a live camera image of the rear which is useful if you have stuff in the back that blocks the back window.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 11:06 PM   #2
Tattooed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, G12, G30, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by swenzi View Post
Just curious if the X7 has these two features that are becoming more common in more and more mid-tier vehicles.

Auto Hold will hold the brake at traffic light without you pressing on the brake pedal. Rear view mirror camera display will have the rear view mirror display a live camera image of the rear which is useful if you have stuff in the back that blocks the back window.
Yes
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 11:39 PM   #3
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed View Post
Quote:

Yes
Auto hold is standard.

Rear display mirror is made by Gentex in Michigan. Right now GM is using it and Toyota has it in Japan.

The Europeans have been slow to adopt this. The x7 would benefit from having it:
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 07:34 AM   #4
swenzi
Private
Rep

Agree, would love to see the rear display mirror feature in the future.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
I thought the Main Display already shows several views from several angles on it. What else do we need? I would rather keep the rearview display as is. The rearview mirror is very small and assigning portions of LCD displays thereby taking over the mirror function of it does not seem very practical to me.

Auto Hold is a cool feature but it does not let ACC Cruise to work automatically on the city streets. You have to hit the gas pedal every time for it to work then. But still not bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 08:52 AM   #6
Pictor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50 & 2020 M850i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Auto Hold is a cool feature but it does not let ACC Cruise to work automatically on the city streets. You have to hit the gas pedal every time for it to work then. But still not bad.
Or tap the resume button on the steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 09:19 AM   #7
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Quote:
I thought the Main Display already shows several views from several angles on it. What else do we need? I would rather keep the rearview display as is. The rearview mirror is very small and assigning portions of LCD displays thereby taking over the mirror function of it does not seem very practical to me.

Rear Display Mirror is awesome.

The rear view mirror is a display but also works as a regular mirror if the camera failed or the feature is turned off.

They have a special coating that makes it work like a regular optical mirror when the display is turned off or not working.

The field of view is much better than a regular mirror and is ideal for SUVs.

The way it works is there is a camera mounted somewhat high in the rear of vehicle.

GM has been the early adopter and has it across their product line from cars, to suvs to caddies. It's available on higher trim levels. In a recent C&D test, they called this feature out in the Chevy Silverado and thought Ram and Ford should have it.

Toyota has rolled this out for cars in Japan and will launch in the USA at some point.

Hyundai Palidade will get it.

Expect the German companies to adopt it slower for whatever reason.

The primary vendor for this product is Gentex who has 90 percent share of self dimming mirrors.

I hope bmw puts in the x7 for the LCI version coming in 2022.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 11:52 AM   #8
Fegelein
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Rear mirror display an option?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 12:41 PM   #9
swenzi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post

The rear view mirror is a display but also works as a regular mirror if the camera failed or the feature is turned off.

They have a special coating that makes it work like a regular optical mirror when the display is turned off or not working.

The way it works is there is a camera mounted somewhat high in the rear of vehicle.

GM has been the early adopter and has it across their product line from cars, to suvs to caddies. It's available on higher trim levels. In a recent C&D test, they called this feature out in the Chevy Silverado and thought Ram and Ford should have it.

Toyota has rolled this out for cars in Japan and will launch in the USA at some point.

The primary vendor for this product is Gentex who has 90 percent share of self dimming mirrors.

Yeah, I think that would be a very good feature for trucks, vans, and SUV that will be used to haul a lot of stuff and people. Drivers are used to check the rear view mirror for anything behind them and not the center console, and I want to keep the center console display for navigation and radio etc.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #10
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegelein View Post
Rear mirror display an option?
Not on BMW or any other German car for now.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:17 PM   #11
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post

Yeah, I think that would be a very good feature for trucks, vans, and SUV that will be used to haul a lot of stuff and people. Drivers are used to check the rear view mirror for anything behind them and not the center console, and I want to keep the center console display for navigation and radio etc.
Yes, it's a great product for the maker shift to SUVs and pickups.
Appreciate 0