E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Stutter or Misfire at high RPM

04-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #1
Viralblack
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Stutter or Misfire at high RPM

First time poster, long time lurker. Experiencing stuttering and misfires at the top end, I have just a crappy log and will try to get a better one, but it hits the major variables.

Stuttering came on after turbo inlets, was running MHD v8 E30 Stage 2+. Reflashed to MHD v7.1 E25, same issue but slightly less.

Manually tested the fuel and mixed for E33, mixed it back down to E25 with a lot more 93, same issues.

Fuel pressures look acceptable on WOT, low pressure pump seems to dip below acceptable limits. I've read below 60 is a bad sign, this hits 50psi.

Thoughts are welcome, even if random. Planning on getting a custom tune once I find the stuttering problem, didnt want to have mechanical/program issues while I tune her right.

Secondary point, I did get a code the first time I went WOT after inlets for Cyl 5 Misfires. I cleared adaptations and started diagnostics from there, thats why I think it could still be a less bad misfire that exists.

Mods and specs -

BMW 335i xDrive
E92 N54

MHD 7.1 Stage 2+ E25 Tune
XHP Transmission Tune - Stage 2

Injen Dual Cone Intake
VRSF 7" HD Intercooler
VRSF Lower Charge Pipe
VRSF Upper Charge Pipe
VRSF 3" Catless Downpipes
VRSF 3" Turbo Inlets

Injectors, Coils, Plugs have less than a few thousand miles on them. Walnut blasting also performed very recently.

Somewhat relevant log, will try to get a better one (3rd pull getting on the highway) when able.

https://datazap.me/u/viralblack/log-...-20&zoom=0-421
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

I don't have a good answer for the misfire itself, but to start, the OTS maps are not made for inlets/outlets. So, that won't be helping your case.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:47 AM   #3
Viralblack
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
I don't have a good answer for the misfire itself, but to start, the OTS maps are not made for inlets/outlets. So, that won't be helping your case.
Agreed, and that may be where the bulk of my problem is. I should just get a base map and start tuning and see where that goes.

The desire to not be a pain in someone elses ass has me trying to make sure every I is dotted and T crossed before I start occupying their time professionally.

Ideas and comments are always welcome, could easily lead to answers
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #4
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralblack View Post
Agreed, and that may be where the bulk of my problem is. I should just get a base map and start tuning and see where that goes.

The desire to not be a pain in someone elses ass has me trying to make sure every I is dotted and T crossed before I start occupying their time professionally.

Ideas and comments are always welcome, could easily lead to answers
Agree to not want to waste their time when you have known issues, no argument there.

My other side of that would be, they have a pretty good idea of what they need to do based on a datalog and your basic setup. So sending a good log of your current setup, list of mods and obviously let them know the issue you are chasing. They could send a base map with the bulk of the stuff you need to start with a good running map to properly troubleshoot.
Appreciate 0