E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > To prime or not to prime?

04-03-2019, 08:25 AM   #1
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...when not replacing gaskets

Garage List
To prime or not to prime?

Hey guys
I'm getting ready to repaint the old silver stock rims on my TiAg 335i as I want to go with a gunmetal color. They're in fairly good shape so my hope is to get away with lightly wet sanding the paint then applying the new color directly over. However, I'm not sure if it would better to prime the rims first. Any thoughts from the painting-experienced members would be greatly appreciated?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 09:07 AM   #2
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

I've painted a few rims and followed all the steps for a DIY application. Prime the rims. It helps helps the new color adhere to the surface. Nothing is better than powder coating though! The durability and rust prevention is unmatched. It's more expense but if you're keeping the car I'd consider it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 10:01 AM   #3
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaronbwall View Post
I've painted a few rims and followed all the steps for a DIY application. Prime the rims. It helps helps the new color adhere to the surface. Nothing is better than powder coating though! The durability and rust prevention is unmatched. It's more expense but if you're keeping the car I'd consider it.
Thanks. Good point about the adhesion. The car's an '07, so I'll be using spray bombs.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2019, 08:22 AM   #4
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built My Way View Post
Thanks. Good point about the adhesion. The car's an '07, so I'll be using spray bombs.
If you choose a flat gun metal color it will probably turn out better. Gloss colors look better if you apply it with a spray gun, in a paint, etc, etc.
I'd clean the rims with Dawn Dish Soap and remove any oils. Either way good luck man!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 04:03 AM   #5
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaronbwall View Post
If you choose a flat gun metal color it will probably turn out better. Gloss colors look better if you apply it with a spray gun, in a paint, etc, etc.
I'd clean the rims with Dawn Dish Soap and remove any oils. Either way good luck man!
Yes, thanks. I'm using Duplicolor wheel paint (graphite/gunmetal colour) with a satin clear coat. I think that gloss might make the wheels look cheap.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 02:39 AM   #6
ClownShoe
Registered
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

if there is any curb rash, sand with 80 > use metal filler JB weld would work> sand with 120>200>300> prime > sand with 400-600 then paint.

if the paint is messed up, save yourself the trouble, use a aircraft paint stripper, remove all old paint, use wax and grease remover. sand with the grit recommended on the primer can, prime, and sand again if needed. final step is to paint. save your finger and pick up a spray can grip.
Appreciate 1