BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Check pressures after mounting/balancing

03-29-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Check pressures after mounting/balancing

This was a new one for me. As I typically do with my cars, I had winter tires mounted on my Audi S3's stock wheels when I started the lease three years ago. I don't love the stock PZero summer tires, so I put them in storage and purchased a nice set of OZ Leggera wheels with Michelin PS4S tires for regular, non-winter use. Now that the lease is almost done, I took the stock wheels/winter tires to a local tire shop (national chain) to have the stock PZeros remounted on the stock wheels. When I got home I checked the pressures to make sure they were roughly where they need to be before sticking them back in the garage for a couple of months. Three of the tires were in the 40psi range, where they need to be, but one was inflated to 75psi. Thought I was seeing things. Rechecked. Yep, 75psi. Took a lot of bleeding down to get to 40psi. I understand that occasionally lower-profile tires with stiff sidewalls can require high pressures to seat the bead, but even if 75psi were required, they should have lowered the pressure to something reasonable once it was seated. I'm glad I checked and it didn't sit like that in the garage for three months. Or worse, put them back on the car and hit a pothole with that grossly overinflated tire.

So check your tire pressures, folks. Don't assume that the guys at the shop did. I'll add this to my list of things to confirm, along with lug nut/bolt torque settings. I've had dealership service done on various cars before and ended up with four lug bolts impact-wrenched down to 150+ lb-ft and one lug bolt barely finger tight. Can't make this stuff up.
      03-29-2019, 10:59 AM   #2
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Does the M2 tell you if you have an overinflated tires? Never noticed it on mine, it certainly lets you know about underinflation.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Holy crap, that's insane.

I always check the pressure and wheel bolt torque after anyone touches the car.
Also recently I found out my pressure gauge was not working right. At 41PSI it only read 35 so about 15% off. That was enough to throw TCS off and it was acting up at high speeds (it was limiting power when accelerating in 6th gear, I'm pretty sure I wasn't spinning tires at those speeds )
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

It is crazy that I check PSI on every drive?

I keep the tire temps & pressures idrive screen programmed to one of my radio preset buttons and check my hot pressures quite often, especially as outside temperatures change.

I also bought three tire gauges, checked pressures with all three and returned the one that was the most inconsistent. Both of my good gauges read 1psi higher than my idrive tpms.

If you're really keen, you'll note to get even hot pressures your front left cold psi will be lower than front right b/c the aux radiator puts more heat into the tire once the car is warmed up.

Lastly, the valve caps with the O-rings help a lot with air seepage/loss.

I think all this just comes from running the car at the track a lot.
Appreciate 0