F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > xpel on the 340
Studio RSR

03-27-2019, 01:14 PM   #1
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

xpel on the 340

I did search and I'm sure it's covered within threads but didn't see xpel listed in any thread title so throwing it out there has anyone done xpel on their F30 and what did you think? worth it? what did you pay approx? I had it done on my M2 but wasn't in love with it and while the guy was 'certified' he wasn't super experienced and the M2 front bumper is tricky so you cut see the cut ends when you looked quite close. I had the full front end done and a cquartz coating which I also wasn't a fan of but that's because I don't think (despite telling me they did) they did much paint prep which is crucial. Anyway let me know who has done it and if they are happy and would do it again for what $ as I am currently on the fence...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #2
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (gold/cream)

After seeing the nicks and chips that accumulated in five years on my dark gray Buick Regal, I'm planning on a clear bra for the 328i. Is that the same thing as Xpel?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

I had my front bumper, 1/3 of hood, 1/3 of front fenders, mirror caps, leading edge of roof, bottom rocker panel, and areas just behind the front and rear wheel-well done (rather than install mudflaps) -- oh, and the flat spot on the rear bumper, just outside the trunk.

Only regrets:
  • Wish I had the ENTIRE hood done -- have TONS of rock chips where there's no clear bra, from freeway driving.
  • Wish I had them cover the small bottom portion of the door, where it angles out, just above the rocker panel -- that took a beating. I bought some 3M clear-bra off eBay and did this myself, later, though.
  • I didn't get the headlights done, at first -- because they didn't want to do them. They said it would change the thermal properties of the headlight housing and cause condensation. Well, after one trip up to the mountain, not too far behind a plow and gravel truck, to go skiing, the headlights looked like they were 2 or 3 years old, instantly. So I found a reputable place that would do the headlights. Only problem is, they trimmed the headlights with the film already applied -- and then cut into the headlights. They said nothing, but luckily I noticed this right away and they had to replace the LCI headlight housings -- which were over $4000!!!! Side note: It's easy to see how these cars get "totaled" in an accident -- parts cost are insane. The $4k was just for the housings; didn't even include the $1000 worth of modules that had to be moved over. So, anyway.... be sure to find the best shop you can. Also, look over their work meticulously and make sure there are no cuts on the paint, or the headlights, when they trimmed up the clear-bra. Not sure why the guy cut up the headlight -- he had the template created from his plotter. I guess he was just fine-tuning the end-result.

The clear-bra on the rocker panels have really paid off. All the trips up to the maintain actually ate-away the clear bra completely, at the leading edge -- and the rest is really, really, THRASHED. I need to have it re-done. Or I might try to re-do it myself -- I'm pretty handy and the panels can be removed completely.

And another side note: The shop that did most of the clear-bra work, also tinted my windows and damaged the a-pillars with their squeegee tool (had front windshield very lightly tinted). So they had to replace my a-pillar covers, which I actually did myself to save them money. Point is: Trust no one's work -- seriously. These guys had exotic cars in their shop, when I visited multiple times, all they do is clear-bra and window tinting, and they still fucked it up. And the guy that did my headlights had his clear-bra business for over 20 years and lots of great reviews. Can't trust anyone, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 03:36 PM   #4
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post
I had my front bumper, 1/3 of hood, 1/3 of front fenders, mirror caps, leading edge of roof, bottom rocker panel, and areas just behind the front and rear wheel-well done (rather than install mudflaps) -- oh, and the flat spot on the rear bumper, just outside the trunk.

Only regrets:
  • Wish I had the ENTIRE hood done -- have TONS of rock chips where there's no clear bra, from freeway driving.
  • Wish I had them cover the small bottom portion of the door, where it angles out, just above the rocker panel -- that took a beating. I bought some 3M clear-bra off eBay and did this myself, later, though.
  • I didn't get the headlights done, at first -- because they didn't want to do them. They said it would change the thermal properties of the headlight housing and cause condensation. Well, after one trip up to the mountain, not too far behind a plow and gravel truck, to go skiing, the headlights looked like they were 2 or 3 years old, instantly. So I found a reputable place that would do the headlights. Only problem is, they trimmed the headlights with the film already applied -- and then cut into the headlights. They said nothing, but luckily I noticed this right away and they had to replace the LCI headlight housings -- which were over $4000!!!! Side note: It's easy to see how these cars get "totaled" in an accident -- parts cost are insane. The $4k was just for the housings; didn't even include the $1000 worth of modules that had to be moved over. So, anyway.... be sure to find the best shop you can. Also, look over their work meticulously and make sure there are no cuts on the paint, or the headlights, when they trimmed up the clear-bra. Not sure why the guy cut up the headlight -- he had the template created from his plotter. I guess he was just fine-tuning the end-result.

The clear-bra on the rocker panels have really paid off. All the trips up to the maintain actually ate-away the clear bra completely, at the leading edge -- and the rest is really, really, THRASHED. I need to have it re-done. Or I might try to re-do it myself -- I'm pretty handy and the panels can be removed completely.

And another side note: The shop that did most of the clear-bra work, also tinted my windows and damaged the a-pillars with their squeegee tool (had front windshield very lightly tinted). So they had to replace my a-pillar covers, which I actually did myself to save them money. Point is: Trust no one's work -- seriously. These guys had exotic cars in their shop, when I visited multiple times, all they do is clear-bra and window tinting, and they still fucked it up. And the guy that did my headlights had his clear-bra business for over 20 years and lots of great reviews. Can't trust anyone, unfortunately.
damn that is one of the most depressing posts i've ever read lol...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 03:45 PM   #5
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

Which part is depressing? The part about not being able to trust anyone, the damage performed by installers, or BMWs outrageous prices? Or something else?

= )
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 02:55 PM   #6
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

XPEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
I did search and I'm sure it's covered within threads but didn't see xpel listed in any thread title so throwing it out there has anyone done xpel on their F30 and what did you think? worth it? what did you pay approx? I had it done on my M2 but wasn't in love with it and while the guy was 'certified' he wasn't super experienced and the M2 front bumper is tricky so you cut see the cut ends when you looked quite close. I had the full front end done and a cquartz coating which I also wasn't a fan of but that's because I don't think (despite telling me they did) they did much paint prep which is crucial. Anyway let me know who has done it and if they are happy and would do it again for what $ as I am currently on the fence...
You're on the right track of wanting to protect your F30. Where are you located? We can help you pinpoint a certified installer nearest you.

Finding a quality installer is crucial as you know from your previous experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 04:10 PM   #7
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

I had Xpel done on my Tesla (hood, headlight, front bumper, mirror caps) but passed on it for future cars.

I think I paid $1000. I don't really drive where I can get chips, and I didn't really like how it looked. I'm super OCD, so I can see wraps immediately, and teh slight orange peel on it.

If the car was a lease, i'd pass. Who cares?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #8
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

Not sure if the OP is leasing or not -- I bought mine. But that's a good question -- if the car is a lease what amount of rock chips are acceptable?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 10:10 PM   #9
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

I went with a 4 year lease so it might be worth doing an Xpel and a coating. 4 years is a long time. just because I might not keep it doesn't mean for 1400 days I don't want it looking it's best
Appreciate 0