BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion    Millennial Generation

03-26-2019, 08:29 PM   #1
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Millennial Generation

what your thought on this video, I agree with 95% of it except that last part. It absolutely the generation fault as they are unwilling to adapt once they are expose to the real world.

Last edited by NormanConquest; 03-26-2019 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 4
      03-26-2019, 08:37 PM   #2
.2pdk
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post

what your thought on this video, I agree with 95% of it except that last part. It absolutely the generation fault as they are unwilling to adopt once they are expose to the real world.
I agree with you here and have experienced it first hand as I have had issues with two millennial hires that had difficulty adapting to their work environment.

Entitled doesn't even begin to describe it.
Appreciate 1
David0ff956.50

03-26-2019, 08:48 PM   #3
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

Who raised the millennials to be such supposed shites?
Appreciate 2
      03-26-2019, 08:53 PM   #4
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by other_evolved View Post
I believe it a problem that was cause by the wealth and prosperity generated by the greatest generation which then cause a domino effect on the boomers, gen X, and now the millennial.

The greatest fault IMHO would be the Boomers, but the Gen X, Millennial, and Gen Z have to learn from their parents/grand parents mistakes adapt and try to carve a better path for future generations.
Appreciate 3
      03-26-2019, 11:46 PM   #5
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Liberal indoctrination in colleges and 99% of the media these young impressionable minds soak up. Contrary to the nonsense they're lied to about it, they see very little diversity of opinion in their sheltered lives. The only hope is they'll shake out of it as they get older, as these brain washed idiots are going to be funding my Social Security payments.
Appreciate 3
      03-27-2019, 12:19 AM   #6
aboutsize14
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92

@NormanConquest that was a amazing video. Thank you for sharing. Millennials make up the highest voter population right now. Something to think about. If you watch this video with that in mind......Umm don't do that. You won't sleep well. Great video nonetheless.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2019, 05:28 AM   #7
.2pdk
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by other_evolved View Post
Their parents/teachers.

Under progressive indoctrination/education.

I suspect the kiddies that got spanked and taught to win under any circumstance are adapting/thriving.
Appreciate 5
Now_Rudi7546.50
Germanauto4151.00
scostu1227.50

03-27-2019, 07:59 AM   #8
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Generation Z is so much worse. Incoming employees at my work are fresh college grads in the 21 to 24 year old range. They are almost universally a complete nightmare of epic proportions. They make me long for a bunch of "older" Millennials. The more mature millennials who are pushing into their 30s are moving into managerial roles at my work and are developing nicely. They are slowly shedding the entitlement issues and learning that through hard work and dedication they can succeed and that success translates into things like cars, houses, and retirement plans. Eventually they really do get tired of having 5 roommates, a communal car, and no future plans. They eventually give in to wanting career success which they can parlay into material goods, homes, travel, etc. it's funny to watch because it typically starts with one hard charging Millennial in a department or group. They volunteer for the special projects no one wants, they are in early, they leave late, they generally "get it." The others don't seem to notice until that first big promotion comes. "Congratulations is in order. Brian has worked hard and is now your supervisor." What, what?! They all scream and whine. "What about me? I deserve to be a supervisor too!" it's a hard wake up call. They all scramble around and try to make the same opportunities for themselves overnight, not realizing their co-worker has been quietly and hard at work at it for a couple years. Some get angry and quit and are replaced with a fresh crop of Gen Zs and the cycle repeats.

Bottom line, in every crop of Millennials and Gen Zs there's a few good ones that "get it" and are worth developing. You can usually spot them pretty quickly. There's hope for them. The rest simply form a revolving door of bitter, entitled, little runts who will come and go.

Last edited by DETRoadster; 03-27-2019 at 08:12 AM..
Appreciate 7
2000cs1396.50
MKSixer22904.50
Now_Rudi7546.50
David0ff956.50
Delta03117395.00

03-27-2019, 08:12 AM   #9
CTinline-six
Welcome to Jurassic Park
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
The only thing inaccurate about this meme is the boomers aren't stabbing the pool with a knife.

On a more serious note, I couldn't watch the video but as a millennial, I think there are POS people from all generations. I happen to work with a lot of 50 somethings who constantly complain all day, never do any work or want to better themselves. It has more to do with someone's work ethic. I know many millennials who work 2 jobs while going to school at night just to make ends meet. I also know a few who try to work the system and want everything for free. I think social media makes those people more visible. You can't tell me that every person who lived during the 60s was just the hardest working non-partying individual that there ever was.
Attached Images

Last edited by CTinline-six; 03-27-2019 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:03 AM   #10
.2pdk
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
The only thing inaccurate about this meme is the boomers aren't stabbing the pool with a knife.

On a more serious note, I couldn't watch the video but as a millennial, I think there are POS people from all generations. I happen to work with a lot of 50 somethings who constantly complain all day, never do any work or want to better themselves. It has more to do with someone's work ethic. I know many millennials who work 2 jobs while going to school at night just to make ends meet. I also know a few who try to work the system and want everything for free. I think social media makes those people more visible. You can't tell me that every person who lived during the 60s was just the hardest working non-partying individual that there ever was.
I agree to a degree.

My assistant is a millennial and she's simply awesome when compared to my previous boomer.

However, when I tally it up hereabouts the numbers suggest the millennial group to have the "entitlement" mentality far more than any other with the exception of a few outliers.

Also, my assistant was not brought up with a silver spoon anywhere in sight...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:59 AM   #11
Turkish Pickle
i want the girl, but not what she's going through
United_States
Rep
Drives: MKS V6 AWD - F10 525d xDrive

In my opinion/experience, it's the more average kids that pull the typical "millennial" stuff. This isn't to say kids who go to better schools are more down to earth and realistic but looking at where my high school class ended and what some are doing I'd argue there's some sort of relationship. Kinda like how generally speaking the bitchiest girls are the average looking ones, not the hot ones

It also depends on the industry, I'm studying civil engineering and in my cohort of ~200-250 people I'm sure there are some who act like this but for the most part people have at least realized that they can't pull this stuff... Walk a couple blocks to the college of business though and it's a whole different world.
Appreciate 1
scostu1227.50

03-27-2019, 12:39 PM   #12
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post

what your thought on this video, I agree with 95% of it except that last part. It absolutely the generation fault as they are unwilling to adapt once they are expose to the real world.
It's hard to succeed if your set of skills include food delivery and uber driving or online blogging. The so called gig economy although has made job availability easier, it really mess up the younger generation into thinking they don't need any real skills such as math, physics, basic science and so on. Good luck to them.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #13
Dogeeseegod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Blue Water 128i-6

<-- Not a lazy millennial, but I'm surrounded by my friends from high school who are blown away at the education, work and wealth I've achieved. A good 50% think I got "lucky" by going to school instead of gaming and drinking. I got "lucky" by pushing my career and not sitting on a job because it was a "good" job. I got "lucky" when I made my investments and showed real profit from innovation. Apparently I'm a real "lucky" guy because I can see that competing at entry level is ridiculous, sticking with something because it's easy is not how to win and above all, HARD WORK & DISCIPLINE are what give you real happiness and fulfillment. /rant lol
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2019, 01:12 PM   #14
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogeeseegod View Post
HARD WORK & DISCIPLINE are what give you real happiness and fulfillment. /rant lol
I call that BS. It's all about making the other guys working hard for you lols.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2019, 01:36 PM   #15
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Well, I kind of thought this video was boring (I know, ringing endorsement), but everyone else who watched it thought it was pretty funny. Since it is on point about millenials, figure I'll drop it here. I admit I smiled at one or two parts, just didn't find it as funny as others.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #16
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogeeseegod View Post
<-- Not a lazy millennial, but I'm surrounded by my friends from high school who are blown away at the education, work and wealth I've achieved. A good 50% think I got "lucky" by going to school instead of gaming and drinking. I got "lucky" by pushing my career and not sitting on a job because it was a "good" job. I got "lucky" when I made my investments and showed real profit from innovation. Apparently I'm a real "lucky" guy because I can see that competing at entry level is ridiculous, sticking with something because it's easy is not how to win and above all, HARD WORK & DISCIPLINE are what give you real happiness and fulfillment. /rant lol
See that's the problem right there that I see with many of these kids. Not saying you are like this as I believe you have likely worked hard and earned the right to move beyond entry level. But many have the mentality that they are "better" or "above" an entry level position. Wake up call, no you are not. You have 3.4 GPA from a state school, a degree in communications, and list Best Buy sales associate on your resume. Despite what your parents told you, you are NOT special, NOT above average, and have NOT earned the right to a higher position and salary due to a proven track record of success.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2019, 03:38 PM   #17
Dogeeseegod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Blue Water 128i-6

Honestly, in North Idaho you're hard pressed to find people who have ANY education beyond high school. A communications degree here could put you in a management position at most places. My buddies are good people who will got to work and put in honest effort, but we're talking about pubs and retail. Actually going anywhere in life takes more than $13/hour. This is the real entry level. People with no skills working for nearly no money but are required to perform at high levels because 90% of people walking the streets can do their job. I maintain a good alumni relationship with my university by being an orientation advisor and I'm honest with people. "If you go to school for engineering and you finish your degree, you will have awesome job opportunities that pay well, offer benefits you've never heard of and make your work experience super fulfilling." yet... the drop out rate is 82%. You don't deserve it if you can't earn it.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2019, 04:09 PM   #18
zstreet86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i, 2008 e90 M3

As a successful millennial, I will just dismiss all of this as fake news. It still dumbfounds me at the amount of hate directed towards "millennials". The instant judgement from that term is comical.

I will admit that he brings up a good point about phones and relationships, however I do not believe that is isolated to a specific generation, especially at the workplace.

Last edited by zstreet86; 03-27-2019 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 04:23 PM   #19
IllSic_Design
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstreet86 View Post
As a successful millennial, I will just dismiss all of this as fake news. It still dumbfounds me at the amount of hate directed towards "millennials". The instant judgement from that term is comical.

I will admit that he brings up a good point about phones and relationships, however I do not believe that is isolated to a specific generation, especially at the workplace.
I'm also a millenial(31) and I would have to say I pretty much agree with the OP and most posters here . We are the most entitled feeling bunch of them all. I used to be one also, but I grew up and figured it out.
Appreciate 1
zstreet86113.00

03-27-2019, 04:27 PM   #20
.2pdk
Banned
Rep

Quote:
As a successful Gen-Xer I have kept one millennial on the payroll and dismissed three in the last 4yrs. Nothing fake about their brutally pathetic work ethic and sense of entitlement.

Could it have been a fluke? Of course, but it has tainted my impressions going forward.

Having said that, I will always give them a chance to prove themselves first.
Appreciate 3
      03-27-2019, 04:30 PM   #21
zstreet86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i, 2008 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Quote:

I'm also a millenial(31) and I would have to say I pretty much agree with the OP and most posters here . We are the most entitled feeling bunch of them all. I used to be one also, but I grew up and figured it out.
Being that you are a millenial, that is just not possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 04:33 PM   #22
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

I'm a Gen X I think. I made some mistakes with my millennial son, as many parents do. I was comfortable during my childhood, and passed as much material spoilage onto my son, but did try to also instill some work ethics. He CAN work hard, get dirty, and clean up afterwards. I didn't do so well on the dress for success front though. Some "entitlement" is there, but we are working on that as well.

I bought his car, but it's a '77 Beetle, and he had to learn to wrench on it. Now, if it exceeds out ability/time and we take it to the mechanic, when it comes time to pay I am usually pulling out MY wallet.

Last week he offered to help me transport the dog to the groomer on a Friday. He texted me saying he could do it. "Don't you have to go to work today?" "Sick" "Your employer mentioned that if anyone else were to call in as often as you have recently, he would fire you. Go to work and have the boss send you home if that sick" He did go in and stayed his full time.
Appreciate 1
Lups11061.00