F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Idrive display cover/hood
Studio RSR

03-26-2019, 07:11 PM   #1
trgreen2
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC M Sport

Idrive display cover/hood

Does anyone make any type of cover that can attach to the display to keep sunlight from shining directly onto it? Something that would provide maybe a 1" lip over and around it would work perfect, and best would be a something that matches the instrument panel cover and just attaches with velcro. I think it would look great. I made them for my last two trucks and they worked well because midday sun that washes out the screen drives me nuts. Maybe Im a little ocd but I also notice lots of little reflections from lights and shiny dash trim up onto the windshield at night. Used to be auto makers like BMW would sweat little ergonomic details like that.
On a truck forum a few years ago I was asked by a few people to start mass producing them but had to decline. One for me was plenty.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:36 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

No one makes one that I'm aware of. I made my own from 1/8" textured ABS, using a heat gun to bend it to shape. I made it two inches wide.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #3
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I've never seen a hood, but Upscreen makes a Reflection Shield Matte Premium Screen Protector for BMW iDrive 6.5" Zoll Navigation System + other versions...
  • Matte and Anti-Glare
  • Strong Scratch Protection
  • Anti-Fingerprint
  • Multitouch optimized
  • Made in Germany

This should cut down the glare & protect your screen at same time

upscreenŽ Reflection Shield Matte Premium Screen Protector for BMW iDrive 6.5" Zoll Navigation System minimizes light reflections on your display and prevents fingerprints and smudges due to the anti-fingerprint coating.

Anti-Glare Protection
The matte surface reduces light and sun reflections on your screen.

Strong scratch protection
The new developed strong coating of your upscreenŽ Scratch Shield Clear protects your display against scratches and damages.

Anti-Fingerprint Coating
The oleophobic coating resists oil and smudges, reduces fingerprints and ensures easy cleaning.

Touch-screen optimized
The multitouch optimized surface preserves the original touch experience of your device. The smooth surface of the protector ensures a pleasant touch sensation.

Easy, bubble-free installation
The advanced silicon adhesive ensures an easy, bubble-free installation and a perfect adhesion. It is easily removable with no sticky residue or marks left on screen.

Precision Cut
Your upscreenŽ Reflection Shield Matte is manufactured in Germany with the most advanced laser technology following the highest quality standards.

Product Content:
upscreenŽ Reflection Shield Matte Premium Screen Protector for BMW iDrive 6.5" Zoll Navigation System (1x Display), Cleaning Wipe, Smoothing Card, Wet Pad, Dust Remover, 3 Guide Stickers, Installation
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:58 PM   #4
trgreen2
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC M Sport

Thank you for the suggestions. I may purchase that material and have it covered with foam and upholstered with black leatherette and stitching to match the dash. When I finish Ill try to remember and post a picture but I wont do it if I cant make it look like it may have come from the factory.
This one might be tougher than the last couple I made.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 11:05 PM   #5
BackBlue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, '13 E70 N63, '19 F33 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
No one makes one that I'm aware of. I made my own from 1/8" textured ABS, using a heat gun to bend it to shape. I made it two inches wide.
Interesting! How'd you attach it? Got a pic to share?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
mynameisname
Private
Rep
Drives: FBO F30 328i, Lexus LC500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Pics of yours please?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 01:52 PM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

https://billfitzmaurice.info/images/...een shield.jpg

I have my radar detector mounted atop it with velcro, I find it's a much more convenient spot for it than on the windshield. I made a wooden block the same size as the screen frame, using it as a former to bend the ABS. I glued the shield in place with black silicone sealant. There's another piece of velcro on top to attach my EZ-Pass toll transponder to it when I need to.

Last edited by Billfitz; 07-26-2020 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 08:59 PM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Tint your windows
Appreciate 0