F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > SI B12 01 19 "440xi software update" Thread split "A"
Extreme Powerhouse

03-22-2019, 10:27 PM   #1
BackBlue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, '13 E70 N63, '19 F33 440

SI B12 01 19 "440xi software update" Thread split "A"

SI B12 01 19 PDF:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...9&d=1548008858

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostradamus123 View Post
Hello guys, i went today for an oil change at my bmw dealer and they also said they need to update my software. My car was produced in 2018.
They didnt know what this update was about.

Do you have any idea what this update is about?

Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Did the dealer mention something similar to "reprogramming the car"?

This is perfectly normal. My 2017 BMW 440i GC also received full reprogramming after I reported a minor problem with iDrive. Most of the time, when the dealer reprograms the vehicle without any specific problem reported by the customer, the softwares changes are mainly internal improvements, for example better diagnostic logic.

Imagine BMW dealer trying to diagnose the root cause for the same problem in two F3x vehicles but two years apart: 2016 and 2018. The 2016 vehicle has older ECU software and functionally different diagnostic logic. It's in BMW best interest to have the same software release in both vehicles: saves time and money on warranty repairs. To the extent permitted by the hardware components, it's simply beneficial to have the same software at any given time.
Quote:
Thank you for your answer.

He just said that i have “version 2” and the it needs updated to “version 4”.

I asked this because i read on some forums that some were experiencing lose in exhaust sounds etc. And my paranoia activated.
Quote:
I can cofirm that after the update i can’t rev my car in P/N above 4000rpm and it seems to me that when i put my car in Sport or Sport+ my exhaust is not that aggresive anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewng19 View Post
My friend who works at a dealership sent me the actually pdf for the DME recall going on, not sure if this would help.
"This Service Action involves approximately 30,162 vehicles produced from 7/26/2016 to 11/29/2018."
"In the DME control unit software, a function to protect components was incorrectly implemented. This
function should protect internal engine components, in case the engine is run at high speed for too long when
stationary."
Quote:
Originally Posted by simnew View Post
Interesting !

Funnily enough as long ago as 2003, I remember my 330d MSport that I had, had a function to limit the revs when stationary to no more than 4000. When driving the car you could easily get past 5000 (although not a lot of point in that engine). So I suspect this function has been around for a while, just implemented differently according to the engine .
THE ORIGINAL THREAD LIES HERE (It's a shi!t show of confused commentation on 2 different SIB's, enter at your own risk): https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1574409

Last edited by BackBlue; 03-22-2019 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 0