F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Cigarette Lighter Socket
proTUNING Freaks

03-20-2019, 08:51 PM   #1
newbimmer2019
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series 320i 2015

Cigarette Lighter Socket

Hi! I just bought a cheap ambient light from amazon that plugs in the cigarette port. I just want to know since it doesn't turn off the same time as I turn off the car, will it drain the car's battery? (Although the lights do seem to turn off after 10 mins, I think).

This may have been asked before but I'm pretty new to this and have no knowledge about car electronics whatsoever. I've been reading a lot of posts here though and everyone have been so helpful with each other. I also just got this first BMW a month ago and I'm really happy about it. Thanks for all the help! I'll post pics later!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 09:03 PM   #2
vooonoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rep
Drives: f30 328

Garage List
2014 f30 328i  [0.00]
think the cigarette turns off ten mins after you turn off the car
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8244.50
      03-20-2019, 09:18 PM   #3
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooonoo View Post
think the cigarette turns off ten mins after you turn off the car
I have a dash cam plugged into the lighter. I keep it plugged in. No battery problems.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2019, 09:30 PM   #4
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Take it apart and splice the wires into the footwell lighting. Looks better and problem solved.

03-20-2019, 11:19 PM   #5
newbimmer2019
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
Take it apart and splice the wires into the footwell lighting. Looks better and problem solved.
I wish I could do that, but I really am not good with electronics and whatnot. 🙈 I even had someone install the Avin 10.25" screen which is just a plug and play replacement. Haha. It looked super easy on the videos but once I was doing it myself the first time I felt like crying. 😂
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 11:22 PM   #6
newbimmer2019
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Haha it looked really good. I think eventually I'll have it hard-wired.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 11:24 PM   #7
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Don't forget about the cigarette lighter socket under the glove-box (although I don't think Canadian market cars get this).
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 11:33 PM   #8
newbimmer2019
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post
Don't forget about the cigarette lighter socket under the glove-box (although I don't think Canadian market cars get this).
Haha actually that's where I plugged it. It's so convenient cause the cables don't really show which makes it look neater.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 04:55 AM   #9
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 black F30 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmer2019 View Post
Hi! I just bought a cheap ambient light from amazon that plugs in the cigarette port. I just want to know since it doesn't turn off the same time as I turn off the car, will it drain the car's battery? (Although the lights do seem to turn off after 10 mins, I think).

This may have been asked before but I'm pretty new to this and have no knowledge about car electronics whatsoever. I've been reading a lot of posts here though and everyone have been so helpful with each other. I also just got this first BMW a month ago and I'm really happy about it. Thanks for all the help! I'll post pics later!
Not sure if you know but there a cig lighter under the glove compartment to the left
      03-21-2019, 06:21 AM   #10
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:

Haha actually that's where I plugged it. It's so convenient cause the cables don't really show which makes it look neater.

Any install tips for keeping wires hidden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #11
newbimmer2019
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcordier View Post
Quote:

Not sure if you know but there a cig lighter under the glove compartment to the left
Yup, I think I've seen some videos in youtube the first couple of days upon owning the car. It was a very sweet surprise.
Appreciate 1
jcordier162.50
      03-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #12
newbimmer2019
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Quote:

I could easily tuck the cables in the sides. There are plastic trims in there around the center console. It's just that for the driver and passenger seats, some cables would still show on the back because you need to allow for some slack when adjusting them. I think it's an okay compromise. I'd have it hardwired in the future with someone doing it professionally, but for now, it looks great. The lights do not seem that bright IRL, the iphone just blows it up. And again, the brightness is adjustable via the app.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #13
leemj84
leemj84
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I could easily tuck the cables in the sides. There are plastic trims in there around the center console. It's just that for the driver and passenger seats, some cables would still show on the back because you need to allow for some slack when adjusting them. I think it's an okay compromise. I'd have it hardwired in the future with someone doing it professionally, but for now, it looks great. The lights do not seem that bright IRL, the iphone just blows it up. And again, the brightness is adjustable via the app.
Looks dope!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 12:57 PM   #14
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i xdrive

Have you got a link please?
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2019, 03:56 PM   #15
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks - I may go the pro route - I like the idea of the subtle blue interior since my exterior is blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #16
newbimmer2019
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemj84 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Looks dope!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leemj84 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Looks dope!
Thank you! Yes, I really like it too. 😊 For $14 it's not that much. Can easily be removed or replaced if you want.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #17
newbimmer2019
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Unifilar Car LED Strip Light, MINGER 4pcs 48 LED APP Controller Car Interior Lights, Waterproof Multicolor Music Under Dash Lighting Kits for iPhone Android Smart Phone, Car Charger Included, DC 12V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0798KMJFG..._B2.KCb493DVP9

Here's the link for those who want it. It comes with a built-in remote. Also, you can download an app to control the colors and how it lights up.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #18
newbimmer2019
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks - I may go the pro route - I like the idea of the subtle blue interior since my exterior is blue
I know, I wanted the subtle look as well and the hidden cables but it's gonna cost a lot more. Maybe after a few more months, haha. $14 though is hard to pass up on. 🙈
Appreciate 0