F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > most impactful mod for the money?
proTUNING Freaks

03-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #1
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

most impactful mod for the money?

I know I know it's been discussed a million times and thread jacked constantly but perhaps it hasn't been discussed in a while so let's chime in with a few more recent and updated product experiences. The reason I ask as with my M2 it came set up so well from factory. the fixed suspension was brilliant and tight with very little body roll yet liveable for my horrid potholed and and uneven roads here in the middle of Canada. It needed nothing really and it came with super sport tires. now with my 2018 340 on the way I am wondering what you guys think of the stock car. the potenza tires - are they liveable or are they brutal as I know for damn sure they are no MPSS. How are the springs if you have the adaptive M package? If you could do one mod to your F30 what would it be? Sways, springs, tires etc.? I don't plan on doing much as mine has the MPPSK so won't be messing with pipes or tunes but weigh in on anything else or let me know what you think of dinan stage 1 if you have it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

If you got the sticky tires i'd def look towards suspension, like you said sway bars, coilovers, or even just lowering springs.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

IMO, tires are top of my list.

I would start by driving the car and see if the tires are livable for you--if not, go with your favorite brand/model.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 02:41 PM   #4
_tlink
Guy with a car
Rep
Drives: 15' 435i Msport

Power/Heat Management:

If you want dinan stage 1 you are better off with just getting BM3 and using a stage 1 tune from there (this make possible future upgrades seamless).

FMIC and CP are good replacements if you are going to be driving the car a bit harder.

Handling:

Coilovers are always a plus as you can't beat a set from KW's or BCRacing compared to stock/msport.

Tires I would get MPSS if you are pushing the car, the potenza's are OK, but if you want the best contact you are already aware of what you need!
15' 435i BSM on CR // BM3 Stage 2 93 OTS // NGK Plugs Gapped 0.023" // VRSF Catless DP // CTS Turbo Intake, CP, FMIC // AWE Tuning w/ Perf. Midpipe // BC Racing BR Coilovers // Apex EC-7 // Michelin PS4S // Plus a shit load of carbon
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I would say regardless of anything, tires, tires tires. After that, it all depends on what you want the car to do.

You wanna drag race? Tires, then tune, charge pipe, suspension etc.

You wanna track? Tires, brakes, suspension, then you open pandoras box. Then take some HPDE because the driver is the best mod.

You wanna just drive around car meets and be noticed? Skip the tires for now, get air ride suspension, exhaust, a set of overweight overpriced rims, stickers, a vape mod for thiccc clouds, the biggest bbk you can get, tires with white lettering on it, camber plates for an unreasonable amount of camber that make your car handle worse, unnecessary and excessive downforce accessories, useless interior mods like color matching random things just because, and of course a roll cage you will never need and fire extinguisher because you saw it in a race car once.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 4
quikM2371.00
ronanz1819.50
TF309057.00
knowl2.00
      03-18-2019, 08:43 PM   #6
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I would say regardless of anything, tires, tires tires. After that, it all depends on what you want the car to do.

You wanna drag race? Tires, then tune, charge pipe, suspension etc.

You wanna track? Tires, brakes, suspension, then you open pandoras box. Then take some HPDE because the driver is the best mod.

You wanna just drive around car meets and be noticed? Skip the tires for now, get air ride suspension, exhaust, a set of overweight overpriced rims, stickers, a vape mod for thiccc clouds, the biggest bbk you can get, tires with white lettering on it, camber plates for an unreasonable amount of camber that make your car handle worse, unnecessary and excessive downforce accessories, useless interior mods like color matching random things just because, and of course a roll cage you will never need and fire extinguisher because you saw it in a race car once.
So RICE the hell out of it is what you're saying?? I actually laughed out loud at the excessive downforce accessories ... yeah I'm gonna pass on all of those although no joke the fire extinguisher would have been handy for me once upon a time in my STI as my meth injection system leaked on my heat shield (i suspect) at the track and after finishing my lap my car started on fire. by the time the official came over and put it out I had some pretty good melted parts in the lower right front portion of the engine bay fortunately the damage was minor and the paint was fine. I fixed it all myself, wasn't too bad but that was the last time I ran 50/50 meth water.

So yes it seems the consensus is the obvious, tires as always. I really loved my MPSS so I was bummed to notice the 340 had the potenzas. people say they are OK or they are horrible. i guess I will just wait and see. I am really eager to see how good the stock suspension is. that will decide my route. As to power I think it probably has plenty stock with the MPPSK.

thanks everyone for your comments!
Appreciate 2
jmg18708.00
      03-18-2019, 11:08 PM   #7
skyline408
Major
Rep

I think in the other thread, you're only leasing the car for 2 years. I'd pull the RFTs off immediately and put on your favorite rubber. Then when you turn the car in, put back the stock tires so you won't be charged. Win win.
Appreciate 1
jmg18708.00
      03-19-2019, 08:31 AM   #8
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

If you have adaptive suspension, Dinan Shockware is almost certainly the biggest "bang for the buck" around.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #9
Qyonker328
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
I know I know it's been discussed a million times and thread jacked constantly but perhaps it hasn't been discussed in a while so let's chime in with a few more recent and updated product experiences. The reason I ask as with my M2 it came set up so well from factory. the fixed suspension was brilliant and tight with very little body roll yet liveable for my horrid potholed and and uneven roads here in the middle of Canada. It needed nothing really and it came with super sport tires. now with my 2018 340 on the way I am wondering what you guys think of the stock car. the potenza tires - are they liveable or are they brutal as I know for damn sure they are no MPSS. How are the springs if you have the adaptive M package? If you could do one mod to your F30 what would it be? Sways, springs, tires etc.? I don't plan on doing much as mine has the MPPSK so won't be messing with pipes or tunes but weigh in on anything else or let me know what you think of dinan stage 1 if you have it.
Dinan Stage 1 is 100% worth the money. I'm running it on my 2013 328i xDrive. Extremely noticeable increase in hp and torque. Throttle response is unbelievable. I can definitely tell it holds a higher redline when shifting in auto-sport and manual shifting is equally as fun. I started with a Dinan Sports Tuner i got used for around $250. Great bang for the buck if you a bit of extra power. I have yet to try BM3 on my F30 but a buddy is running a JB4 with catted DP and ER Midpipe and it's a hell of a driving experience. From what I have used and heard from other Dinan users, it's an extremely high quality tune and offers what I feel is more power output compared to that of a JB4 or BM3.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #10
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qyonker328 View Post
Dinan Stage 1 is 100% worth the money. I'm running it on my 2013 328i xDrive. Extremely noticeable increase in hp and torque. Throttle response is unbelievable. I can definitely tell it holds a higher redline when shifting in auto-sport and manual shifting is equally as fun. I started with a Dinan Sports Tuner i got used for around $250. Great bang for the buck if you a bit of extra power. I have yet to try BM3 on my F30 but a buddy is running a JB4 with catted DP and ER Midpipe and it's a hell of a driving experience. From what I have used and heard from other Dinan users, it's an extremely high quality tune and offers what I feel is more power output compared to that of a JB4 or BM3.
Yeah on a 328i I could totally see it as you are getting juice out of a de-tuned engine very easily. With the MPPSK I wonder how much more Dinan really gets. i will have to search for a graph as that would be interesting to compare or hopefully and even better somebody who had the MPPSK got the stage 1 on a 2016+ 340.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #11
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline408 View Post
I think in the other thread, you're only leasing the car for 2 years. I'd pull the RFTs off immediately and put on your favorite rubber. Then when you turn the car in, put back the stock tires so you won't be charged. Win win.
I don't think I drive enough km's to wear out the tires so I would be charged anything on turn in. If I would then for sure it would be an easy call. I will try the potenza's. If anyone can chime in or point me to a thread on those bricks I would gladly read it. I'll search now
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #12
skyline408
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
I don't think I drive enough km's to wear out the tires so I would be charged anything on turn in. If I would then for sure it would be an easy call. I will try the potenza's. If anyone can chime in or point me to a thread on those bricks I would gladly read it. I'll search now
You have to return the car with at least 4/32 tread wear remaining.

So unless you plan on driving under 15km for the whole duration of the lease, you're going to be getting tires.

Of course it's YMMV, drive slow like a grandma, don't take aggressive turns and you maybe able to squeak by the lease without buying new tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #13
pkiledj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 6MT xDrive M-Adaptive

I just switched out the rear runflats for Michelin Pilot A/S and the difference is immediately noticeable. What was BMW thinking with the run flats?? So I concur with the earlier replies that tires are a must. Next I plan on getting the front tires and lower on Dinan springs. I like comfort mode so probably will not get shockware. BM3 after warranty expires.
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      03-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #14
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkiledj View Post
I just switched out the rear runflats for Michelin Pilot A/S and the difference is immediately noticeable. What was BMW thinking with the run flats?? So I concur with the earlier replies that tires are a must. Next I plan on getting the front tires and lower on Dinan springs. I like comfort mode so probably will not get shockware. BM3 after warranty expires.
I thought shockware works best with the dinan springs according the dinan site
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #15
BigJack75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Dream Car

Hands down it’s tune!!!!

Then I suggest you stripped out the complete interior and hit the race track.

Appreciate 1
quikM2371.00
      03-19-2019, 10:19 PM   #16
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

#1 tires

#2 MPPSK. The sound is amazing. Noticeable bump in power. Changes the whole experience of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #17
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
#1 tires

#2 MPPSK. The sound is amazing. Noticeable bump in power. Changes the whole experience of the car.
So as I suspected I just need tires

I might look into that shockware but I can't imagine software can make that dramatic an impact on suspension without physically changing a component
Appreciate 0