F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > How Much Are The Damages :(
proTUNING Freaks

03-17-2019, 02:29 AM   #1
ihateredlight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport

I was driving on the Bruckner Expressway (Bronx, New York) and someone in front of me applied their brake so I did the same and the person behind me ran directly into me.

If anyone had to take a guess how much do you think the damages would be?

Individual who ran into me (white toyota) has provided me copies of his driver's license, insurance card, and other documents. He has accepted liability and I have already started the claim on his insurance company (Progressive).

His airbags deployed and his car began to leak antifreeze. I am alive so I am blessed but it sucks

Any advice or info legally in pursuing this situation would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 02:49 AM   #2
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Staying Oem with bumper, exhaust, tailights that alone is easily over 3k. Adding misc. interior repairs and parts with labor and painting it can easily reach 5k+. Plus you might need a new rear deck lid, that can be another 1k. Just my guess.

Glad everyone's ok, hopefully the repairs is not too bad. Toyota though looks like it was made out aluminum foil, front looks pretty bad.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2019, 03:46 AM   #3
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i xdrive

In the UK the insurance companies sort everything out between them.

We just have to initiate the claim with our own insurer and give them the third parties details.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 05:24 AM   #4
Derek Mc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i GC M-Sport

Looks a $5>6K claim all day long as I bet it has penetrated into the wheel tub
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2019, 05:41 AM   #5
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Sorry to hear about your accident..

I live in NYC also and I know it's just infested with asshole tailgaters. Because it's so congested, there are limited spaces in-between each vehicle on the expressway but people still feel if they ride your ass, you'll magically move out the way or something. So when you have to stop quickly for some reason, they inadvertently slam into you.

I try to stay in the right lane (slow lane) and do a little above the limit but degenerates are attracted to BMW taillights for some reason, like a moth to the flame. I can't wait until I'm rich, so I can pay a chauffeur to drive me around..

Anyway, the damage doesn't look like much but the body shop will still will milk the insurance company, especially if there's structural damage to the inner trunk area. I like a good 15 - 20k for just the damage, not counting rental car and other incidentals.

Best I could suggest since the other person already accepted liability is to take it to a BMW authorized body shop but I see the at fault party has Progressive insurance and in my experience, their adjusts are very difficult to deal with but a decent body shop will have your back. And if they give the shop any resistance on repairs, just threaten to sue their insured driver directly. That's usually gets them to pay up quickly
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 05:47 AM   #6
ihateredlight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Sorry to hear about your accident..

I live in NYC also and I know it's just infested with asshole tailgaters. Because it's so congested, there are limited spaces in-between each vehicle on the expressway but people still feel if they ride your ass, you'll magically move out the way or something. So when you have to stop quickly for some reason, they inadvertently slam into you.

I try to stay in the right lane (slow lane) and do a little above the limit but degenerates are attracted to BMW taillights or some reason, like fly to shit.

I can't wait until I'm rich, so I can pay a chauffeur to drive me around..

Anyway, the damage doesn't look like much but the body shop will still milk the insurance company, especially if there's structural damage to the inner trunk area. I like a good 15 - 20k for just the damage, not counting rental car and other incidentals.

Best I could suggest since the other person accepted liability is take it to a BMW authorized body shop but I see the at fault party has Progressive insurance and in my experience, their adjusts are difficult to deal with but the body shop will sort it out. And if they give the shop any resistance, just threaten to sue their insured driver directly. That's usually gets them to pay up.
thanks! I am looking into the "diminished value law" as well for NY. Trying to recoupe some money for the loss of value.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #7
neonnblack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT/e46 330xi

5k mine was less severe and it was almost 3k.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
frazervalley
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

Sorry to hear about the accident, always frustrating to get damage to your ride.

I try to use defensive driving techniques while driving, with practice these techniques become second nature. Try google for more information and tips if interested. I have been rear ended only once in 40 years of driving, so I know it works. Here is one of the tips.

Scan the road far ahead for lit tail brake lights or other hazards. If you see anything briefly touch your brake a couple of times to activate your tail lights and alert the driver behind you. You are notifying them that there may be trouble ahead.

Take your foot off the accelerator and tap your brakes again in a few seconds to alert the driver again if you see more lit tail lights ahead of you. If the driver behind you is not adjusting their driving, change lanes and let the driver get ahead of you where you can more easily observe them. I prefer to have inattentive drivers ahead of me where I can more easily monitor them and take evasive action if necessary.

Whenever possible leave open spaces in the lanes next to you so that you have an escape route available if you need to take quick evasive action. Sometimes by speeding up a bit, or slowing down a bit you can create these open spaces around you. I realize in heavy traffic this is very difficult or impossible to do, but it is a valuable strategy to employ whenever possible.
Appreciate 5
cfm56d7b5886.00
vtown99.00
nickf3078.00
G80S58135.00
      03-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #9
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Very practical post about defensive driving techniques: perhaps the only way to avoid drivers who could use refresher as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #10
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If you have comprehensive coverage, you should just go through your insurance carrier. You just pay the initial deductible and they will take care of everything. They will file claim under subrogation and recover all the money from Progressive for the claim as well as your deductible and pay your deductible back when they get it. It's usually VERY quick and you're far less likely to get screwed over by the other person's insurance carrier.

If you deal with Progressive directly, then it's a huge hassle and they will try to nickle and dime you for everything. If you go through your carrier, they will make sure they get every last possible dollar from Progressive they can.

That's how I dealt with my rear-end accident and I couldn't have been happier with the process. I have Allstate and they handled the whole thing with some cut rate insurance company I had no interest in fighting with. My rates never went up (actually went down slightly due to normal discounts).
Appreciate 1
vtown99.00
      03-18-2019, 07:25 AM   #11
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
I'm surprised by how little damage you seem to have suffered relative to that other guy! His car is definitely totalled while yours is fixable. Anyways, I would see if you can use this opportunity to swing an MPE too.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4488.00
      03-18-2019, 07:47 AM   #12
vtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesmith2939 View Post
In the UK the insurance companies sort everything out between them.

We just have to initiate the claim with our own insurer and give them the third parties details.
It's the same here in the US. I don't know why people try to deal with someone else's insurance company. This is why you pay your insurance company.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2019, 08:12 AM   #13
Tomo366
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D

Garage List
2014 BMW 328D  [0.00]
I recently experiences a similar rear end accident......mine was a Hit and Run the women had her passenger ask if everyone was OK and said follow us then took off.....blown airbags and bumper hanging off.......My repairs were initially estimated at 1400 after the car got into the Body shop.....that went up to 2500...yours appears to have more damage than mine did......Mine came out great!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 04:52 PM   #14
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

6k repair.... plus you should get yourself check.... neck pain would be nice, visit a chiropractor and get a lawyer... easy $15k right there😁
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:50 PM   #15
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailec View Post
I'm surprised by how little damage you seem to have suffered relative to that other guy! His car is definitely totalled while yours is fixable. Anyways, I would see if you can use this opportunity to swing an MPE too.
Exactly.

Remember front bumpers have a higher collusion spec than rear by law....and the damage suggests the reverse.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #16
ihateredlight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

***update*** I took my car to MAC (Martino Auto Concepts) in Glen Cove. Car took about two weeks for the repairs. Will post pictures in a few moments.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:31 PM   #17
ihateredlight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailec View Post
that's exactly what i did I ended up doing lol. I ended up with the MPE will post pictures soon waiting on car to be cleaned.
Appreciate 1
Kailec594.50
      04-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #18
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateredlight View Post
***update*** I took my car to MAC (Martino Auto Concepts) in Glen Cove. Car took about two weeks for the repairs. Will post pictures in a few moments.

Sorry to hear about the accident but glad MAC took care of you. I had my front end replaced there and they did an incredible job..

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 04:34 PM   #19
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

It'll be around 7k when all the claims are finalized. Mechanic will try to get every last dollar out of insurance. My best guess.

Glad you're ok.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 06:57 PM   #20
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
The damages = your deductible. Which should be covered by the other driver anyway, since you were rear ended. So I'm going to say $0.

Good luck with the process.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 07:15 PM   #21
ihateredlight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Shout out to the good people at MAC! John upgraded me to the M Performance Exhaust and I was able to get my M performance diffuser and spoiler back as well.

Progressive had the damages at $10,250.00 I was able to settle at MAC for $10,000.00 flat. Totally pleased w/ the results and now looking into getting the carbon fiber tips that come with the MPE.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
zamboni1130.50
      04-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #22
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateredlight View Post
I was driving on the Bruckner Expressway (Bronx, New York) and someone in front of me applied their brake so I did the same and the person behind me ran directly into me.

If anyone had to take a guess how much do you think the damages would be?

Individual who ran into me (white toyota) has provided me copies of his driver's license, insurance card, and other documents. He has accepted liability and I have already started the claim on his insurance company (Progressive).

His airbags deployed and his car began to leak antifreeze. I am alive so I am blessed but it sucks

Any advice or info legally in pursuing this situation would be appreciated.
When was run into,I made 2 phone calls. The highway patrol and MY insurance co. State Farm. My ins. Co handled everything. The sheriff determined it was the other persons fault. State Farm paid me,then went after the other insurance. It took 9 months to get my deductible back. They had Canadian insurance. Never talked to the person. Or their insurance. My car was totaled. I had my check in a week. It’s a little late for you. I never even spoke to the other driver.
Appreciate 0