F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > When will all the 2018 340i's be hitting the lots?
ARMA SPEED

03-16-2019, 03:31 PM   #1
Stopsign32v
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mach 1

When will all the 2018 340i's be hitting the lots?

Looking to get into a 3 series and I think the 2018 model year is really the one I want. I really like the traditional gauges and don't care for digital screens so 2018 seems like the ideal year to get.

When will they really be hitting the lots and what will a decent mileage be for one by then?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
Looking to get into a 3 series and I think the 2018 model year is really the one I want. I really like the traditional gauges and don't care for digital screens so 2018 seems like the ideal year to get.

When will they really be hitting the lots and what will a decent mileage be for one by then?
Generally a lot show up 3 years later due to lease turn-ins

03-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #3
Stopsign32v
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
So are we talking 2020 or 2021? (Or heck, both) Reason I ask is because I know you usually can buy cars a year ahead.

Also, I'm scared of a lease car. I figure if someone is leasing it they are less likely to care about it due to them knowing they will not own it.

With that being said would buying a Msport mean I'm certainly getting one that has been beat to hell? The options and all would be nice but would buying a "normal" 340i mean in theory it could have had an easier life?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #4
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Also, I'm scared of a lease car. I figure if someone is leasing it they are less likely to care about it due to them knowing they will not own it.
maybe look now for an executive owned

Quote:
With that being said would buying a Msport mean I'm certainly getting one that has been beat to hell? The options and all would be nice but would buying a "normal" 340i mean in theory it could have had an easier life?
get a 330i then. the enthusiast would buy a 340i instead anyways

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
eddymerckx3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive sport line

Quote:
I suspect the opposite is true as proof of required maintenance is required on lease vehicle, besides, maintenance is free for first 3-4 years. And because most dealers have serviced off lease vehicles they sell they will know vehicle history. That doesn’t mean u can predict how previous owner treated car, but at least u will get peace of mind that it was properly maintained.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 08:16 PM   #6
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

You are asking a bizarrely subjective question. Mileage can be between 1 and a million miles. A 2018 can be on the lot now, and maybe not for another 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #7
Stopsign32v
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
You are asking a bizarrely subjective question. Mileage can be between 1 and a million miles. A 2018 can be on the lot now, and maybe not for another 3 years.
Well then feel free to pass on posting a reply to it.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2019, 08:26 PM   #8
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

The question is aligned with "which lottery ticket will finally pan out for me?" If people like their 2018's and don't want the newer dash, there will be less on the lots. Mileage depends on how people driver them.

Just confused what you expect as an actual answer to your question since the answer could be almost anything.....
Appreciate 3
anotheran389.00
tuco44644.00
Swappy531.50
      03-16-2019, 09:56 PM   #9
Stopsign32v
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The question is aligned with "which lottery ticket will finally pan out for me?" If people like their 2018's and don't want the newer dash, there will be less on the lots. Mileage depends on how people driver them.

Just confused what you expect as an actual answer to your question since the answer could be almost anything.....
You made a statement, but are still replying. Are you looking for me to clear it up for you? If so just ask "What do you mean?" Otherwise I don't understand why you are still going on.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 10:59 PM   #10
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Well then feel free to pass on posting a reply to it.
I agree with wires. There are executive cars. There are 1-4 year leases. There are 2018s out there now. Just go to cars.com and look. Anytime after 6 months of release they will be out there.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 07:19 AM   #11
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
First, you can get a 340 with a digital dash, so double check. Second, why 2018? Any 340 is the same regardless of MY.
      03-17-2019, 08:20 AM   #12
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:

Your target car is spot on, the 2018. Facelifted and great technology made it for this year. I suggest looking now if you are interested because some people do 1 year or 15 month leases on these, thats how I got mine used. 3 year leases are obviously much more common but the shorter ones can happen. Also, some people break leases or sell when just slightly used, it happens. Also, I lightly suggest considering the 4 series gran couple, if you dont need a manual transmission. I was originally looking for a 340i and decided on the 440i
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 08:37 AM   #13
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

But he doesn't want a lease car, hence my confusion. With a lease, you'd know roughly the mileage, and time frame when they get turned back. I kept my '08 335 for 8 years, and it had 100k miles on it when I traded it for my '16 340. If you want cars that were purchased (not leased), it's a 100% crap shoot of when they come back and how much mileage.

If you want a 340, why not a '16 or '17 then? (LCI started in '16) You're not buying new, so why are you narrowing your search so tight to '18 when they would be hard to find on a lot right now?

Are you just putting this out as "Future me wants to by a '18 340, and that's my dream car.", or are you actively looking right now? It's possible that the G20 M340 is so amazing that you wouldn't even consider the F30 platform, but who knows since it's barely at dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #14
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
So are we talking 2020 or 2021? (Or heck, both) Reason I ask is because I know you usually can buy cars a year ahead.

I disagree with the fear of a lease car because you will likely reduce your options of few years used cars, I believe most of the cars bmw sells new are as leases and not finance-to-own. Its a paradigm shift due to higher car prices compared to lease rates and people's general preferences. Also some new car owners are business/exec owners. I dont think there is a good reason to believe leasers abuse cars more than owners - since they are turning in the cars they should at least be mindful of the condition of the exterior/interior of the car. Do they drive the car harder? Maybe but not necessarily. As for an M sport being more abused than non-m sport, not sure about that either. Sometimes the reason for buying the non-m sport is purely budget concern, people have limits even when buying or leasing the car new.

If you are set on buying a car from a dealer which was an outright purchase, I agree that the turn-in timing of those cars is less predictable because the owners are not tied to a lease deadline. Their decision will be because they want to trade up to a newer car or if they have a lifestyle or financial change. Maybe 3 F series owners will want to trade up to 3 G series but not always
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 10:39 AM   #15
Stopsign32v
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
But he doesn't want a lease car, hence my confusion. With a lease, you'd know roughly the mileage, and time frame when they get turned back. I kept my '08 335 for 8 years, and it had 100k miles on it when I traded it for my '16 340. If you want cars that were purchased (not leased), it's a 100% crap shoot of when they come back and how much mileage.

If you want a 340, why not a '16 or '17 then? (LCI started in '16) You're not buying new, so why are you narrowing your search so tight to '18 when they would be hard to find on a lot right now?

Are you just putting this out as "Future me wants to by a '18 340, and that's my dream car.", or are you actively looking right now? It's possible that the G20 M340 is so amazing that you wouldn't even consider the F30 platform, but who knows since it's barely at dealerships.
No, I'm currently not looking. Wife needs a SUV and is dead set on a new Explorer so that has to come first. Then my car. And a BMW certainly isn't my "dream car". Get real. It is just the best option for a 4 door performance car right now. I like Audi's more but the transmissions give me nightmares thinking about them failing.

And I said I'm scared of a lease car, that doesn't = don't want a lease car. It means a lease gives me concerns, rightfully so or not. I think a lot of your confusion could be cleared up by re-reading what I posted. Maybe you skimmed by it all.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #16
Stopsign32v
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
I disagree with the fear of a lease car because you will likely reduce your options of few years used cars, I believe most of the cars bmw sells new are as leases and not finance-to-own. Its a paradigm shift due to higher car prices compared to lease rates and people's general preferences. Also some new car owners are business/exec owners. I dont think there is a good reason to believe leasers abuse cars more than owners - since they are turning in the cars they should at least be mindful of the condition of the exterior/interior of the car. Do they drive the car harder? Maybe but not necessarily. As for an M sport being more abused than non-m sport, not sure about that either. Sometimes the reason for buying the non-m sport is purely budget concern, people have limits even when buying or leasing the car new.

If you are set on buying a car from a dealer which was an outright purchase, I agree that the turn-in timing of those cars is less predictable because the owners are not tied to a lease deadline. Their decision will be because they want to trade up to a newer car or if they have a lifestyle or financial change. Maybe 3 F series owners will want to trade up to 3 G series but not always
I agree with you. I also have (and work with) the largest BMW plant in the world about 30 minutes away so all you really see around here are new BMWs due to their employee lease program. HOWEVER I do not see many 335i and 340i, they are mainly 328i.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #17
Stopsign32v
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
First, you can get a 340 with a digital dash, so double check. Second, why 2018? Any 340 is the same regardless of MY.
I do not want a digital dash. Give me a good ol physical needle sweep.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #18
ndx6spd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i x

I think this is very subjective. What's your budget? If it's sub 30k, you'll need to wait longer (3-4 years), probably higher mileage/non CPO. I recently saw a 2014 7 series (loaded) for under 30k, but 75k miles. Repairs and maintenance might bankrupt you.

If you're thinking 40k, you can find nice ones now with low mileage and longer warranty/CPO coverage (i.e. exec demos, etc).

50k, you can get a new one. Find one you like and start haggling. Dealers are discounting them and BMW is kicking in some discount, too. I saw a fully loaded 340i xdrive 6MT (MSRP 63k) that I can probably get for about 50k or less.

If buying used, I would make sure I have warranty for at least 1.5 to 2 years. This should be enough time to see if your car will be a money pit down the road.

I've leased 5 cars in the last decade or so (WK2 Jeep, ATS4, CTS4, Q50 S, Big Horn v6) and have never "abused" any. I will say, though, I didn't care about the car as much. Small scratch? Eh, whatever. Broken windshield and they won't use OEM replacement? No biggie (unless leasing co decided to charge me later). Car wash? Cheap automatic is fine if that's whats near by. Never hand washed or detailed my leased cars. All maintenance was done on time because I don't want to be blamed for any problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 01:18 PM   #19
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
I do not want a digital dash. Give me a good ol physical needle sweep.
Yea that's what I'm saying. Make sure the 340 you find does NOT have that.
      03-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #20
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No, I'm currently not looking. Wife needs a SUV and is dead set on a new Explorer so that has to come first. Then my car. And a BMW certainly isn't my "dream car". Get real. It is just the best option for a 4 door performance car right now. I like Audi's more but the transmissions give me nightmares thinking about them failing.

And I said I'm scared of a lease car, that doesn't = don't want a lease car. It means a lease gives me concerns, rightfully so or not. I think a lot of your confusion could be cleared up by re-reading what I posted. Maybe you skimmed by it all.
Audi uses the same 8 speed transmission as BMW does, so I'm not sure "all the transmission failures" they are having. I'm still confused with being scared of a leased car. If a person is buying and flipping it every couple of years, it's probably more abused than a person leasing and returning. That's the person that has the money to flip and take the loss and is willing to drive it like he/she stole it.

It's highly unlikely that any company leases high end models for the worker employees, hence the reason it's all 328's there.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 09:33 AM   #21
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

OP - You can still get new 2018's and they are absolutely blowing them out as the redesign is now out in 330 guise with the 340 shortly to follow. I just picked up a brand new 2018 340i loaded to the max with both M packages and premium everything down to adaptive LED's. they found it at a dealer in kelowna on the west coast and brought it over for me and still took $13k off at a loss for the dealership as I absolutely wanted a 6MT as they are almost impossible to find. It was the last 'new' one in the country from a dealer. If I was okay with AT they had one on the lot for in the same color with identical options so essentially the identical car and as it was on their lot they would have done somewhere around $15k off. essentially right now you can get a 'new' 2018 for the price you are probably looking at in the used market.

One comment for the concerned about lease returns. Do you know how strict lease returns are? Incredibly strict for touching the car up and condition it is returned in with large $ penalties to fix it up. As to how it's driven it makes no difference at least for my perspective as I've leased and bought a number of cars. i drive them the same no matter what. why would someone lease a car and abuse it and then turn it in vs. a car purchased and then abused and then sold or traded in??
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 09:48 AM   #22
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

I never thought about M sport models are more abused, but it makes sense, mine is a 428i without M sport and it was a lawyer lady who bought it new, she didnt abuse the car at all and serviced on time at dealer.