BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Car Internet Connection and Car Telemetry

03-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #1
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Car Internet Connection and Car Telemetry

I know you can access your car remotely via the internet when it is parked. I'd like to know if the car's build in Wifi Network can be set to be on when the car is off. I.E. If you were to install a cloud enabled dash cam with parking mode battery set up, could you connect to the car's wifi and internet connection and use it when the car is parked.

I think the quick answer is no, but there is so much potential with the cars already built in functions that are neutered by engineering chooses. Such as why can't we access the car's built in cameras and output video to a trunk mounted recording device? Come on BMW you must have though of that????Think of the extra charges you can come up with. We are dumb enough to pay $300 for Apple Car Play (as if that can't just be a free be for a $50,000 car and up......) I am sure there are folks out there would would gladly pay $1000 for access to the cameras in the car with an added storage device in the trunk and backup batter...perhaps more. Just to have the dash cam with out all the ()*&$)W(%&* wires showing. LOL.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0